Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Que?
The subway bridge to Rockaway remains impassable, but the M.T.A. plans to truck subway cars out to Rockaway, and run a shuttle along the peninsula, with bus service to the mainland.

Bloomberg compares Sandy to Katrina | Capital New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The subway bridge to Rockaway remains impassable, but the M.T.A. plans to truck subway cars out to Rockaway, and run a shuttle along the peninsula, with bus service to the mainland.

Bloomberg compares Sandy to Katrina | Capital New York
Ah ok that makes sense now Syntax ftw

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Right now they are telling people to use the Q53 bus from Rockaway Blvd, but I am not sure where that stops.
It goes down Cross Bay Blvd and then goes to Rockaway Park. You also have the Q52 to Arverne. (The last I heard, buses were terminating at Pitkin Avenue because they were afraid to send buses down there. I don't know if it has to do with blackout conditions or what)

Anyway, I actually heard that a lot of people from Rockaway Park already take the Q53 to Rockaway Blvd because the shuttle is infrequent, and you have more frequent service at Rockaway Blvd compared to taking the shuttle to Broad Channel. Arverne and the areas east of Hammels Wye are a different story because they don't have to make a transfer because the (A) is right there. I wonder if they'll temporarily extend the Q52 to Far Rockaway, in order to provide easier access to the (A) from there (right now, if you live east of Arverne, you just have the Q22, which doesn't connect with any train besides the LIRR). And of course, I'm sure they'll increase service a little bit on both the Q52 & Q53.

If there's anybody who lives out there, there's also the QM16 & QM17 buses that run during rush hours. The QM16 goes to Beach 169th Street in Neponsit, while the QM17 goes to Far Rockaway. If you catch one but need to get to the other end of the peninsula, you can transfer to the Q22 bus (which I believe will be free within the Rockaways)

Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 AM

292 posts, read 705,066 times
I heard today that the Q53 bus does not run out there after 4:30 pm, because there is currently a curfew out in the Rockaways.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It goes down Cross Bay Blvd and then goes to Rockaway Park. You also have the Q52 to Arverne. (The last I heard, buses were terminating at Pitkin Avenue because they were afraid to send buses down there. I don't know if it has to do with blackout conditions or what)

Anyway, I actually heard that a lot of people from Rockaway Park already take the Q53 to Rockaway Blvd because the shuttle is infrequent, and you have more frequent service at Rockaway Blvd compared to taking the shuttle to Broad Channel. Arverne and the areas east of Hammels Wye are a different story because they don't have to make a transfer because the (A) is right there. I wonder if they'll temporarily extend the Q52 to Far Rockaway, in order to provide easier access to the (A) from there (right now, if you live east of Arverne, you just have the Q22, which doesn't connect with any train besides the LIRR). And of course, I'm sure they'll increase service a little bit on both the Q52 & Q53.

If there's anybody who lives out there, there's also the QM16 & QM17 buses that run during rush hours. The QM16 goes to Beach 169th Street in Neponsit, while the QM17 goes to Far Rockaway. If you catch one but need to get to the other end of the peninsula, you can transfer to the Q22 bus (which I believe will be free within the Rockaways)
I'll be taking the A train to Rockaway Boulevard, then the 52 to the last stop and walk home from there - when the power comes on. Right now they're not running the buses after 6 PM for safety reasons (people standing at bus stops in the dark).

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Que?
He's saying they're going to bring in subway cars by truck and have them run within the Rockaways (from Rockaway Park to Far Rockaway), without leaving the peninsula.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
He's saying they're going to bring in subway cars by truck and have them run within the Rockaways (from Rockaway Park to Far Rockaway), without leaving the peninsula.
Photos: MTA Lifts Trains On Trucks For Special Rockaway Shuttle: Gothamist

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Temporary Ferry Service To Rockaways Will Start Monday, 11/12: Gothamist

Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
all that saltwater ate the tracks up; that's why.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 AM

MTA Will Restore Service To Rockaway Peninsula On Sunday, Full N Service Resumes Now: Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City