Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
how do you know for sure they did not have any need for it. people from all backgrounds have been hurt by this. Just because she has NJ plates does not mean she drove in just to take donations..
It could be a rental--rented by someone from Long Island. I've had a lot of NY rentals with NJ tags and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 150,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Well, FEMA has finally arrived today AFTER the power was restored and AFTER all the stores were reopened. They were giving away free food and I clearly saw people taking food who had no need for it. One lady with Jersey plates who probably drove in from the burbs was stuffing the back of her SUV with bottled water and free meals.
Could be possible she has family in the city in which she was getting the food for. My mother has Pennsylvania license plates but shes here in the city taking care of her mother who lives in the LES. Don't make such quick accusations..

Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM

5,084 posts, read 4,952,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Icon View Post
That had was the dumbest thing I heard in a long time. She should only get food if she has power to store the food. Otherwise she's wasting it. You're right she should starve until the power comes on then get food. I'm sure that's you would do
My reasoning might sound dumb but yes, it is based on that many people have to dump out their food from their fridges because they go bad after two or more days without power.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,813,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonQ1995 View Post
Could be possible she has family in the city in which she was getting the food for. My mother has Pennsylvania license plates but shes here in the city taking care of her mother who lives in the LES. Don't make such quick accusations..
If you fortunate enough to be driving around a fully fueled hummer, you can drive yourself over to A&P and buy your own bottled water.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 PM

151 posts, read 183,014 times
Quote:
Well, FEMA has finally arrived today AFTER the power was restored and AFTER all the stores were reopened. They were giving away free food and I clearly saw people taking food who had no need for it. One lady with Jersey plates who probably drove in from the burbs was stuffing the back of her SUV with bottled water and free meals.
Well like others said we don't know her circumstances. Maybe she is abusing the system, maybe she is not

In my opinion some people get things they don't need. Many people love free stuff. Sometimes they are handed out automatically because emergency workers need those lines to move fast.

I ate one of those dinners during Katrina. They are not tasty at all, I call it war food, the kind you eat when you don't want to die of starvation.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
My reasoning might sound dumb but yes, it is based on that many people have to dump out their food from their fridges because they go bad after two or more days without power.
MRE's require no refrigeration.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,418,533 times
Quote:
How do you know what these people's needs are?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM

446 posts, read 996,423 times
Give me a break. Not everybody is trying to be dishonest. There's no way I would trek out to Manhattan and stand in line for a small ration of food that I don't need. People from all over were affected, unless you know them personally then you don't know what the hell their situation is.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,033,538 times
Original Post by John Stossel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City