Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no black and white even in the castle doctrine when someone is shot. its all just different shades of gray. even if you are found innocent there is always a civil suit to deal with.

innocence can cost you every penny you own or earn.
That's a lot less likely to happen with the CD than without it especially inside your own home. It removes the requirement in your home to retreat first and the ability to sue. Outside your home may be a different story.

Still, I'd much rather defend my family and home from a bad guy inside my home in TX than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
In the case of a disaster so severe that you'd need to use a gun to defend yourself, it's probably a better idea to leave the city entirely.
Well considering it's basically a series of islands, by the time it's clear things are that bad you may not be able to leave.

While law and order seemed to hold for the most part, I think if things kept getting worse vs. improving, it had the potential to turn ugly. I have no problem with a background check or a waiting period, the only thing that's putting me off is the price. I would also take the responsibility very seriously just as I do driving a car. I'd go for training, refresh the training periodically and leave the gun unloaded unless there was an emergency situation.

I think they should lower the permit application fee. How does it compare with other places' fees?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
[quote=ny789987;26791334]What I learned from the storm:

e) In neighborhoods surrounding the projects, police presence is practically non-existent and things can take a turn for the worst rather quickly. Example: defecation in the hallways. quote]

Waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,635 times
Now what if it jumped up to a strong cat3 and put 15 feet across the entire manhaten island

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Well considering it's basically a series of islands, by the time it's clear things are that bad you may not be able to leave.

While law and order seemed to hold for the most part, I think if things kept getting worse vs. improving, it had the potential to turn ugly. I have no problem with a background check or a waiting period, the only thing that's putting me off is the price. I would also take the responsibility very seriously just as I do driving a car. I'd go for training, refresh the training periodically and leave the gun unloaded unless there was an emergency situation.

I think they should lower the permit application fee. How does it compare with other places' fees?
our fees are crazy.... they are way to high.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's a lot less likely to happen with the CD than without it especially inside your own home. It removes the requirement in your home to retreat first and the ability to sue. Outside your home may be a different story.

Still, I'd much rather defend my family and home from a bad guy inside my home in TX than NYC.
try shooting an unarmed bad guy in the back in your home as he attempted to flee when he saw you . let us know what that cost you in legal fees and how black and white your case is. .

someones right to sue is never waived.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
You bring up good questions. With the premise permit as far as NY/NYC is concerned, applies to the inside of your home. You cannot stand on your driveway, on the doorstep, and in some cases even be inside your garage with the gun in the event that your about to be robbed or looted. Try this and you can and will be arrested for "menacing" with your pistol if someone happens to walk by and somehow feel threatened at the sight of your gun, even if you aren't pointing it at anyone. Sucks doesn't it?

In a gun friendly state where castle doctrine is the law, you can use deadly force to protect your property, whether it be your car or your front/back yard. Either way, the burden of proof is on you to prove that you felt that your life was in danger and that you had to use deadly force. If you shoot the bad guy dead inside your home, as far as NY is concerned, the burden of proof is on you to prove that you were being attacked and that you believed that your life was in danger, just be sure that you don't shoot him in the back otherwise the courts will find a way to prove that you shot out of malice and intent to kill, not for self defense.

On the other hand the castle doctrine laws, even stand your ground laws can be abused, just like in the Trayvon Martin case in Florida.....but then again, the court and the jury will decide the outcome of your future!
nyc believe it or not is a castle doctrine state.

you are required to retreat also in your home, preferably to a safe room.. its when that safe room is breached all elements of black and white are removed criminally but not civily.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,707 times
I chime in on this one i did get a socalled permit to keep a pistol in the house Now it was a little bit of a wait to get it and i do keep it in a safe in the place .

As one person said it not that hard to get one if everything comes back clean .Now in my case i had been involved in two shooting and both came back basic self defense by the local sheriff dept and the police dept .The only thing the only asked about was the shooting back in 99 when the guy tried to run me over with a car after running down a motorcycle officer who had did a traffice stop in front of the club .

She asked about the details about it and i explained to her in a quick 30 second brief how and why i did what i did .She goes ok and it was approved .

Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
^ This was in NY?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
NYS will never voluntarily relax in gun control laws. However the courts may shove a change down it's throat. There are cases already percolating up the federal judical food chain, filed by the same people who argued Heller and McDonald, challenging the NYS laws.

I think at some point, when all the various challenges in the various states get worked out, something of a national "Shall Issue" system will develop. This would mean that unless someone fit certain very specific criteria (like having a felony conviction), they would automatically have to be allowed to own/carry guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City