Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times

Advertisements

I think most of the posts on here about "transplants" are silly and wrong, but every so often someone reminds us that there is a grain of truth in them. This thread is one such instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
Once upon a time, this process of discovery was called "getting to know the city". Going to neighborhood stores and finding a system that works with the circumstances. It was considered a point of pride to not patronize box stores at all. This was back when transplants, like me, expected to meet the city on its own terms, instead of trying to duplicate a suburban lifestyle.

The fingerless gloves, the purpose of which is smartphone related I'm guessing, can be found at most department stores. If you need more affordable options, Century 21, Dee & Dee's or a vintage shop.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
Once upon a time, this process of discovery was called "getting to know the city". Going to neighborhood stores and finding a system that works with the circumstances. It was considered a point of pride to not patronize box stores at all. This was back when transplants, like me, expected to meet the city on its own terms, instead of trying to duplicate a suburban lifestyle.

The fingerless gloves, the purpose of which is smartphone related I'm guessing, can be found at most department stores. If you need more affordable options, Century 21, Dee & Dee's or a vintage shop.
Tried to rep this, but it says I've already showed the poster too much love.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM

180 posts, read 335,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is worse than the post where somebody asked where's a good spot to practice parallel parking.
Did they ever get an answer?.. because I was just about to post a thread asking the same thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
He's probably used to 'one-stop shopping' in suburban Michigan... but wasn't satisfied with the dry and bland lifestyle there. So he goes to NYC and expects to have the same luxuries he did in his redneck town for the same price. Yup, sounds like survivor material...

Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
He's probably used to 'one-stop shopping' in suburban Michigan... but wasn't satisfied with the dry and bland lifestyle there. So he goes to NYC and expects to have the same luxuries he did in his redneck town for the same price. Yup, sounds like survivor material...
Even NYC has onestop shopping thru Target and Kmart not to mention wholesale clubs such as BJ's and Costco. Honestly it just sounds that the OP is just flat out lazy to even bother doing some simple research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City