Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I had planned a visit to the city next Monday Nov 12-Wed Nov 14 and I was wondering if it was still ok to come. We are driving from VA, staying in NJ at the Meadowlands and visiting mostly Manhattan. I've lived in the US my whole life but I have family visiting from Brazil that really wanted to visit NYC. I come up often to visit friends but I wanted to see with you wonderful forum people if it was still ok for us to come. We will mostly be doing the usual tourisy stuff in Manhattan-central park, empire state building, top of the rock, times square (all the places I usually dred when visiting lol).
I don't want to be insensitive and come during such a hard time. Do you think it is still ok to visit?

Thanks in advance and I hope you all are ok up there and that things return to normal for you a speedy as possible. I've been through some hurricanes so I know it is not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi all, I had planned a visit to the city next Monday Nov 12-Wed Nov 14 and I was wondering if it was still ok to come. We are driving from VA, staying in NJ at the Meadowlands and visiting mostly Manhattan. I've lived in the US my whole life but I have family visiting from Brazil that really wanted to visit NYC. I come up often to visit friends but I wanted to see with you wonderful forum people if it was still ok for us to come. We will mostly be doing the usual tourisy stuff in Manhattan-central park, empire state building, top of the rock, times square (all the places I usually dred when visiting lol).
I don't want to be insensitive and come during such a hard time. Do you think it is still ok to visit?

Thanks in advance and I hope you all are ok up there and that things return to normal for you a speedy as possible. I've been through some hurricanes so I know it is not easy.
Yes, I think so as most of the city will be up and running by then. Also the city needs tourist revenue especially now after the loss due to Sandy.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Manhattan will be fine, but I would be hesitant to stay at the Meadowlands. Jersey in general, and especially transportation from Jersey into the city, are still in a bad way. It'll be better by next week, but it might not be back to normal.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks to you both. We plan on stopping in Maryland and/or Delaware for gas (most likely Maryland) and I am going to call the hotel to make sure it is still ok.

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
You should be ok. Though if you haven't already, check with the place you're staying to make sure your reservations are still good. Some places have cancelled reservations to house evacuees/people who have lost their homes. Also, check to see that whatever transit you're planning to take into the city is running. Things got a lot better over the course of a week for many areas and I think it should be even better by the time you're planning to visit. Gas will probably be ok by then, but you may want to top off before you get to this area to be on the safe side.

Manhattan's already got a lot of tourists who were either here or have arrived since the storm.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks again. I called the hotel and they said we are ok to come. I've stayed there before and I know they have a bus stop right in front of the hotel so that's what I usually take to go into the city. If that's not an option we can try the ferry as well. Worst case senario we drive and pay for parking.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Everywhere you mentioned was above "ground zero" (figuratively and literally) of the brunt of the damage in manhattan so those destinations will be fine to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City