Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM

130 posts, read 336,102 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods are best for a young early 20's couple? I looked into Sunnyside, Astroria, and Woodside and they all seem nice and close to Manhattan. How about Brooklyn though? Any other ideas? Lets just say space is not a concern nor is anything luxurious....a studio around $1200 would be nice. Or maybe a one bedroom in an "okay" neighborhood...I don't know if $1200 is enough....But yeah just close to the subway is fine.

But pretty much I will be fresh out of college so I am used to not having too many amenities, etc....My love will be attending school full time though. Anybody around the same age as me? haha

Also, I know in Manhattan you have to go through a broker but what about Queens and Brooklyn? I have the first month, last month, security, broker fees in savings now plus good references from our past landlords but I won't be able to verify income because I will be new to the city with a new job ....Will that mean we have no options for finding a decent apartment? And my boyfriend is a full time student therefore he won't have a full time job. My parents make money but they live way out of state and the guarantors have to live in the tri state area.

Any help would be great So what we want:

* Studio
* <$1200
* Close to subway
* Somewhat convenient neighborhood in terms of grocery, drug stores, etc...
* Minimum violence
* Diverse neighborhood (we're an interracial couple)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Those three Queens areas are nice. Probably cheaper than Brooklyn overall for comparable areas. Have you seen any decent looking listings for studios in that price range? Studios can be very small, depending.

The guarantor thing will be trickier with a broker, I think. Maybe a sublet or a rental by owner situation would be easier for you. There's also local Queens papers like Astoria Times etc online (one company owns them all) that may have apt listings for rent, plus other info on the different Queens neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 78,140 times
You will do better in Queens being that you don't have full time jobs.You might can find apartments inside homes as opposed to buildings with landlords and such. Interracial couples, Astoria, Ridgewood, a lot of areas in Queens and Brooklyn are very diverse, however your going to pay for that diversity too.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Here's the link...lots of Queens apts in your price range. At first glance all look like safe areas, but you can always ask here. Some are through brokers, some through owners. Click under apts for rent.

Times Ledger - News - Western Queens (http://www.timesledger.com/site/news.asp?brd=2676&pag=460&dept_id=551069 - broken link)

Old 10-12-2007, 01:47 PM

130 posts, read 336,102 times
Yeah and we wouldn't mind living in a two bedroom with a roommate but it will just be tough to know if the person looking for a roommate minds couples. Now we live with a roommate and it works out great and saves ton of money I have seen lots of roommate ads on craigslist though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City