U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,989 times

Advertisements

Sorry if there are any threads like this but I'm a brand new member and I wanted so advice. So a friend And I are wanting to move to New York in 2009 and wanted some help in getting started on where to move to what to expect and so forth coming from ohio we need all the help we can get thats why were researching for a couple of years first. any help would be great.

1. Good place to live with affordable rent
2. how to move there whats services to use and what not
3. jobs (if there is a good job market)

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Rose
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 AM

505 posts, read 2,242,014 times
Rose,

What part of NY are you looking towards, NYC area, lower/mid/upper hudson valley, Northern, Central, or Western?

Also, don't focus so much on rental rates as NO-ONE has any clue as to what to expect of the market over the next 6 months let alone 2 years. We can give you an idea of what they are now.

If you don't know the areas at all, what are your needs/wants/like/dislikes and what do you think your price ranges would be that way we can help guide you to an area that may suite you best. It may also be helpful to know what line of work you are in as different areas have different types of businesses.

Hope to hear from you soon!

~Joey

Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM

well im not looking for anything specific i just know that I need someplace where two girls can live and not worry to much about security of course we will though. My Friend And I do different jobs anything really but if there is a chance to put our college degress to work all the better both of us have Business management Degrees and she works retail now I work as a daycare Provider so its not about the jobs really just somewhere where we can get to one easily and find one would help. Also we want to know what we should do to start building info for the move
thank you for all the help
Rose

Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM

943 posts, read 4,049,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose67 View Post
well im not looking for anything specific i just know that I need someplace where two girls can live and not worry to much about security of course we will though. My Friend And I do different jobs anything really but if there is a chance to put our college degress to work all the better both of us have Business management Degrees and she works retail now I work as a daycare Provider so its not about the jobs really just somewhere where we can get to one easily and find one would help. Also we want to know what we should do to start building info for the move
thank you for all the help
Rose
You have to be more specific for help. Why are you looking for in moving to NY. New York is a big state with the city and its surrounding areas one world and the rest of the State another. That will give people an indication of what may satisfy you. That question may even be better suited on the New York forum if you don't mind upstate. You also have to give a budget for people to help you in NY.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose67 View Post
Sorry if there are any threads like this but I'm a brand new member and I wanted so advice. ... any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you ... Rose
The following may be of some help to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ation-nyc.html

Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM

thank you for the link it was quite informative

I just want some help getting started in researching how to go about the move our budget as of right now is not a lot but could be more by the time we move say about 700 dollars a month I just would like to know where people who live there who moved there got started and how they got moved sucessfully

Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,740,329 times
$700 a month together or separate? For $700 a month you aren't going to find anything decent anywhere in the city. The rock bottom price for decent neighborhoods, many of which I am sure you would not even like, is $850 and these are usually basement apartments in rough shape.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 AM

70 posts, read 406,515 times
Yeah, you will have to figure at least $1100 for a decent 1 br...and in 2009 who knows!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,356,534 times
NYC is very expensive...and unless something "drastic" happens it's only gonna be more so by 2009. I think 1100 for a decent one bedroom is unrealistic...maybe somewhere in the Bronx but by 2009 it will probably be more expensive. I like the Bronx, but many New Yorkers wouldn't touch my area with a ten foot pole.

And yes, you need to be more specific. If you want to live within the city limits (one of the five boroughs) that is a whole different animal from living in NY State. Most here can give you more info about NYC. For NY State, you'd have to check out that forum.

There's a lot of info out there on the internet. But the main concern is that you have a low budget. I'd start researching the job market first, and see if you can get a decent paying job that will help you to afford rent and other expenses. From there you can decide how much you can budget for rent. If it's too low and you want a "decent, affordable" NYC apartment, it's gonna be rough to find. Also depends on your tolerance level--being from Ohio you may not be used to how small NYC apts are, and how "little" you get for your money here. The cost of living is very high in most areas (though the Bronx is way lower than Manhattan) so you have to have a very realistic budget. You will probably have to move to an area that is not considered as "desirable." But sharing rent can help a lot. You may get more bang for your buck that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City