Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM

48 posts, read 108,768 times

Advertisements

To clear up any confusion about ownership, etc. From wikipedia -

"The community is run by the Breezy Point Cooperative, in which all residents pay the maintenance, security, and community-oriented costs involved with keeping the community private. The cooperative owns the entire 500-acre (2 km2) community; residents own their homes and hold shares in the cooperative.[2]"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM

676 posts, read 1,256,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So let me ask u a question. Do I put all that to the side and go help thinking one day things might change? FOH. I got my family to worry about. I gotta make sure my house is good. If they come on this side of town, the worst that will happen is somebody will think they're a cop. I go over there, who knows.
I would say take care of your loved ones first, then your own community. And then if you're still able to help, it's up to you to choose which communities you want to help. If you have damage to your home or need to prepare it for future storms, I completely understand why that's your first priority. As it should be. I think one thing people in outer boroughs have learned from Sandy is that from the first few days to a week, it's going to be up to families, friends & neighbors to help each other.

I'm not saying you or anyone else has to help at Breezy Point. Just that I happen to find find some of the statements here which basically read "well, I once was treated badly by someone from there, so I'm going to make blanket generalizations about the people there and not help at all" kind of obnoxious. And some of the "treated badly" just amounts to not being let into Breezy Point. As I explained in an earlier post, even if you know someone there and are visiting, there's a whole process to go through to get in. I'm white and I'd probably be given a hard time if I just showed up there to visit the relative who has a place there. I'd have to let her know in advance I was visiting, get the parking passes, check in at the gate house, etc.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM

33,344 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I'm white and I'd probably be given a hard time if I just showed up there to visit the relative who has a place there. I'd have to let her know in advance I was visiting, get the parking passes, check in at the gate house, etc.
It's not about that. I've been plenty places before where I had to announce I was coming in advance, etc. Only difference is that I didn't worry about the racism factor being squeezed in there somehow. Like I said in a previous post, I don't want to risk the personal involvement, regardless if people are making blanket generalizations.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
I have heard that the residents are largely white cops, ex-cops, firemen and ex-firemen?
Is that true? If so, it would explain a lot.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-26-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,309,945 times
Yes that is true Kefir and it does explain alot. Secondly, it is not racist to acknowledge racism that exists!!! And thirdly, this whole discussion can be ended quite simply:

Take a well qualified black or hispanic couple to shop for a home in Breezy Point and see what happens. We already know what happens, but for those who like to pretend otherwise go ahead and do it. There was an undercover report just recently at a similar community called Edgewater Park...guess what happened? The black couple was immediately steered away because of how "difficult" it is to gain access to the community. When a white couple showed up, equally qualifed, they were warmly received and were "guaranteed" the votes to buy in and shown several homes. Funny how that works huh? All coincidence and happenstance of course!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/06/ny...l?ref=nyregion

So for those who want to pretend this is just a good, wholesome, private community who keep to themselves...I am sure you sleep well at night with the lie. And calling it what it is is not racist, just truth. The people in the community can save 500 puppies from a fire, and I am sure Hitler was very sweet and caring to his mother, but neither kind actions disqualify the ugliness and hate inside them.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 11-26-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,708,536 times
I love all of these posts trying to portray Breezy Point as KKK headquarters. Keeping Breezy private has little do to with race and is mostly related to keeping the beaches/streets/parking lots free from being inundated in the summer months. It's the same reason you can't park on the street in Neponsit or Belle Harbor in the summer.

And as someone who's seen Breezy security in action, I'd say the vast majority of people asked to leave by security are white.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Nobody is saying KKK...did I? I simply stated the reality we all know is true: Only certain people are allowed to live there regardless of the amount of wealthy you may have, and it is kept private for that explicit reason. You are welcome to attempt to rewrite history on this site, but I won't let revisionist history go uncontested.

If you speak to people who live in these communities they are very open direct about who they keep out..it is only when the cameras and microphones turn on that they "are just a quiet community trying to maintain a peaceful residence, and welcome all people equally."

PS-there is no doubt the vast majority of people asked to leave are white, because the only people ever attempting access are white. Colored folks "have no business there".

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nobody is saying KKK...did I? I simply stated the reality we all know is true: Only certain people are allowed to live there regardless of the amount of wealthy you may have, and it is kept private for that explicit reason. You are welcome to attempt to rewrite history on this site, but I won't let revisionist history go uncontested.

If you speak to people who live in these communities they are very open direct about who they keep out..it is only when the cameras and microphones turn on that they "are just a quiet community trying to maintain a peaceful residence, and welcome all people equally."

PS-there is no doubt the vast majority of people asked to leave are white, because the only people ever attempting access are white. Colored folks "have no business there".
so how many residents of Breezy or Sea Gate do you know personaly? How many have you even spoken to? In the case of Breezy, they only became private to fend off developers and the federal government. It had nothing to do with keeping out outsiders. Look it up...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Of course..it's all just happenstance, coincidence, chance, fortuna, to fight developers, the federal government, to save the rare dolphins, to wear white after labor day, and on and on....that's all is...it's all just one big misunderstanding...who knew!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Of course..it's all just happenstance, coincidence, chance, fortuna, to fight developers, the federal government, to save the rare dolphins, to wear white after labor day, and on and on....that's all is...it's all just one big misunderstanding...who knew!
it's a fact. A 10-second google search will tell you everything you need to know. While you're at it, look up "playing the race card".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City