U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the city over the Thanksgiving holiday and are trying to decide whether to come a day early and see the balloon inflation on Wednesday afternoon/evening. My family (i.e., teenagers!) isn't interested in dealing with the long wait and crowds to see the actual Macy's parade, but I think they would enjoy the balloon inflation event.

My question is: Is this another event where the crowds make it not worth bothering because it is hard to see anything with wall-to-wall people and a long wait to not see much, or is it worth the hassle? Are there any times that are better than others to enjoy the experience a little more fully? (Early? Late?)

It sounds like an awesome experience, but I'm hesitant to drag everyone there to find that it isn't very do-able due to its popularity!

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate your insights!

P.S. On a side note, are places like Gray's Papaya open on Thanksgiving day? We weren't planning to do the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and all of the places I found on Open Table that are open on the holiday were fancier than we wanted (or wanted to spend!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 AM

545 posts, read 872,351 times
Not worth going, unless you enjoy being in crowds and probably cold. Mostly everything that sounds like fun and is free ends up being a less then enjoyable time. /jmo although I am becoming crudmugeon who passed her saturation point of 'cool' things to do in NYC.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 AM

24,401 posts, read 34,225,907 times
I know they store these things in a warehouse in Hoboken somewhere. GOd knows their fate because Hoboken was HAMMERED by Sandy.

But if all goes well, inflation is at 79th and Clumbus from 3PM until 10PM.

Good Luck.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM

4,830 posts, read 8,277,923 times
I went a few years ago and doubt I'll ever go again! It was massive crowds, barely moving, people crashing into you with strollers, etc. When we finally made it through to the end, I screamed FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think, if you plan on going, you should get there at 3pm -- it may not be as crowded at the very start. We got there around 4 or 5 and it was a madhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City