Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 AM

43,351 posts, read 44,062,834 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I lost my Time Warner cable internet service and therefore also my home phone. When I called Time Warner I got a recording that there is an outage in my area due to the storm related issues (or storm damage - I don't remember the exact wording). I live in an area that did not lose power or anything else during Sandy (and doesn't usually have problems during storms) which I do appreciate. But the same thing happened last year after Irene, everything was okay during the storm. When everything went back to normal for most people, suddenly I lost my internet and home phone connection. At that time, I went on a trip overseas so I don't know how long it took to restore service. So my questions are has this happened to anyone else and how long did take to restore service in such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,888,788 times
FIOS was giving me outage reports for 3 days before the storm. And we never lost cable.
They told me I would get a credit...I didn't.

These companies speak their own language that even THEY don't understand.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
FIOS was giving me outage reports for 3 days before the storm. And we never lost cable.
They told me I would get a credit...I didn't.

These companies speak their own language that even THEY don't understand.
Well my outage started yesterday and you can't get through to anyone. So I assume that while they are fixing somebody else's service they screwed up the service in my area. I am wondering when it might be fixed.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Chava,

I have a friend in the HOWARD (on 64th Drive in Rego Park) with Time Warner TV. She never lost her cable but her phone (from Verizon) has been coming and going with some functions: talking okay, but voice mail and call waiting, gone for a week.
She's sort of back now...at least this afternoon.
Her internet is DSL from Verizon and I think that has stayed up.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Make that 66th Road, Chava.
She now has full service.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Make that 66th Road, Chava.
She now has full service.
Well I still have no home internet service as of this morning (and therefore no phone service). Yesterday evening I spoke to an acquaintance (sister of a friend of mine) who lives on 102nd Street (next to the Forest Hills North Shore Hospital) and she told that she has had no problems with her internet but yesterday experienced some problems with some of her Time Warner cable channels.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
sister of a friend of mine) who lives on 102nd Street (next to the Forest Hills North Shore Hospital)

That's EXACTLY the corner my friend lives on: 102nd St. and 66th Road. I just spoke with her and her TV was fine yesterday but she stuck with Channel 13 all night.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-12-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That's EXACTLY the corner my friend lives on: 102nd St. and 66th Road. I just spoke with her and her TV was fine yesterday but she stuck with Channel 13 all night.
Well I still no have service now. I spoke with a Time Warner customer service representative this morning using my cellphone (good thing I have enough minutes still left in this billing cycle) for over 20 minutes. This was after hearing a recording that service has been restored to my area. But finally the TW rep. (after taking me again through modem rebooting steps) checked again and found there was another report of an outage in my area this morning. A couple of hours later, a TW car was seen outside my apt. bldg., which is gone and there is still no internet/home phone service.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Well I finally got back service today (the 5th day since I lost my internet/home tel. service). I found out yesterday morning that my neighbor across the hall had service all the time. So I spoke to Time Warner again yesterday telling them this and of course, they said my service comes from a different hub. I also told them that I will consider switching to RCN which now serves my area, etc. Finally they told me I might get my service back today or only on Friday. But as of 10AM this morning, the internet connection has been restored! (BTW, I did speak with a TWC supervisor on Monday who wasn't helpful at all.)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM

chava,

My friend's Verizon phone service keeps coming and going. Now people are able to leave voice mail but she cannot retrieve it.
But she can still talk but she says that my voice seems to come and then fade like I was unde water. I told her it was more likely SHE was under water.
Her Time Warner is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City