Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspicaciousE View Post
So question.

Does forcing city workers to live in projects include ALL city workers? Including Department Commissioners, Judges, The Mayor?
I suspect there would be no liberal judges left if they were living in the same place as the criminals before the bench ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
For all the people saying SeventhFloor's idea is "ridiculous" --

There actually was a time when city workers lived in housing projects.

Baby boomers research Pomonok’s post-WWII days
Baby boomers research Pomonok’s post-WWII days • TimesLedger
By choice. There's probably some that do now also, by choice. There's even a program that exists which helps cops move to depressed neighborhoods called Officer Next Door. Cops use this program by choice. The City most certainly should not be able to force any of its workers to live anywhere specific.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Legit lol at that notion......unreal

Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 701 times
I lived in Staten Island meney years ago . Police ,Sanation ,Transit ,Ect lived ther too .It was averry good place to live .City employs bought houses ,shoped , played , comuted, raised ther children along with sand hogs newspaper workers,iron workers lawyers, shoemakers,automachnecks,ect .We spent our wages there and saved a few bucks for a rainy day or vacaion. THAT LAND FILL is coverd UP !The Fery is the most Relaxing comute. WORKING PEOPLE!SUPORTING there comunity. NOT ORINGE ,Rockland , Westher, or anny other SUBERB . 50 or 100 M I'sent the point it's allof us working people in the CIty Being /Dwelling and suporting our naborHOOD'S!!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Hiccup...

Old 01-01-2015, 12:48 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I want to say yes as its important that police officers have a connection to the area/city they are policing. But ultimately, given that police officers are often far removed from the neighborhoods that they police (living in NYC proper doesn't mean anything is you live in Staten Island but police and look down on Bed-Stuy), I'm going to say no. Let cops live wherever they want and go after the best talent available by expanding the map.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 AM

192 posts, read 248,486 times
They shouldn't be in Westchester Nassau HC Essex policing a bunch of people in the city. Absolutely not. Almost nothing in common with those populations, not racially, economically, commute time, green space NO levels in their neighborhood...nothing.

This is one of the many reasons many of the Hudson County like Jersey City police departments never hire from NYPD. They rather take and train newer recruits.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:05 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
They shouldn't be in Westchester Nassau HC Essex policing a bunch of people in the city. Absolutely not. Almost nothing in common with those populations, not racially, economically, commute time, green space NO levels in their neighborhood...nothing.

This is one of the many reasons many of the Hudson County like Jersey City police departments never hire from NYPD. They rather take and train newer recruits.
I want to agree with you, but a cop that lives in Breezy Point (or in certain other parts of Queens, Riverdale, or Staten Island) and is assigned to Bed Stuy, South Bronx, etc., is likely not going to have anything in common with his/her assigned precinct anyway. If NYC was a small, homogeneous city, I'd agree with you. But, the fact of the matter is that in this very diverse place with many neighborhoods that differ significantly from other neighborhoods, many cops already live in parts of the City that are of a completely different culture and vibe than where they are assigned to patrol anyway.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:24 AM

192 posts, read 248,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I want to agree with you, but a cop that lives in Breezy Point (or in certain other parts of Queens, Riverdale, or Staten Island) and is assigned to Bed Stuy, South Bronx, etc., is likely not going to have anything in common with his/her assigned precinct anyway. If NYC was a small, homogeneous city, I'd agree with you. But, the fact of the matter is that in this very diverse place with many neighborhoods that differ significantly from other neighborhoods, many cops already live in parts of the City that are of a completely different culture and vibe than where they are assigned to patrol anyway.
'culture' 'vibe' obscure abstract concepts. Economically, nearly 50% of NYC lives near poverty, with usually 50+% of their paychecks going to rents. If cops had to live in similar circumstances, similar pay grades to most city cops across the river in NJ, who dont start off with 6 weeks paid leavel ike the NYPD does, I'm sure they would wise up and humble thmselves very quickly.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 AM

222 posts, read 185,600 times
I laugh to think that if this ever became successful (requiring nypd to live within the city) that people think it would stop there. Nope. If it worked for the police it will work for ALL city employees. And guess what - if it worked for all city employees it will work for all private sector employees (good bye to all you Wall Street folks and million dollar lawyers doctors etcs living in jersey long island and westchester)

And while we are at it lets take the law even further (because the government tends to do that when certain programs are successful). You can now only work in the neighborhood you live in (the argument will be that each nyc neighborhood is different and has different needs and people from outside that neighborhood wouldn't be sensitive or able to understand and provide those needs).

All of this because we have moved further away from what martin Luther king jr asked us to do and are judging people now by their race, creed, area they live in or come from rather than the actual content or quality of their character.

Let me say this. While I peronally come from the south side of Chicago AND some of the worst parts of queens (far rock and south side Jamaica), someone like elizabeth warren is more capable and qualified to provide just about any of the needs of the people in those communities than I am. She's more patient and understanding where I am not. But on paper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City