Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

My point stands..they should all be required to live in NYC. You can consider the Fire Dept a heavenly body full of Jesus worshippers who spend all day donating blood and carrying groceries upstairs for old ladies....I am sure it helps you sleep at night. The dept however is rife with corruption, nepotism, and one of the last "old boys" clubs in NYC.

Require both the NYPD and NYFD employees to live in NYC, and you will have an overall better force, and better relationships with the community because they live there. That point stands regardless of our personal opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My point stands..they should all be required to live in NYC. You can consider the Fire Dept a heavenly body full of Jesus worshippers who spend all day donating blood and carrying groceries upstairs for old ladies....I am sure it helps you sleep at night. The dept however is rife with corruption, nepotism, and one of the last "old boys" clubs in NYC.

Require both the NYPD and NYFD employees to live in NYC, and you will have an overall better force, and better relationships with the community because they live there. That point stands regardless of our personal opinions.
Excellent, excellent job at completely avoiding the point and taking it to a topic that nobody was debating about. I've noticed how often you do that, so I can't say that I am surprised. The point, is that any member worth their weight (most guys otj) would risk their own well being for any citizen in any area. Black, brown, white, or green. Infant or elderly. Handicapped or able bodied. These are not talking points. Countless (yes....countless) examples prove this over the past century plus. Even during the decades where racism actually was a major problem in society. Any of those pasty white Irishmen would fly into a tenanent uptown if they knew a little kid or a grandmother were up there. I always tell you this, but try not to always believe what the people around you growing up have ingrained into your brain....

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Let's get the entire FD living in NY STATE first, then maybe we can start focusing on the city.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Agreed Airborne!

Available: It's wonderful that those pasty white Irishmen are doing their job and saving a kid (of whatever color) from a fire. I believe Hitler also had a dog he treated very well..and he treated his girlfriend with respect and caring...he was a real gentleman to her. Clearly he is a great guy, according to your standards, so we should simply ignore everything else!

RIGHT.

Point is...as Airborne said, we should be requiring them to live in NYS at least, but really NYC..anywhere in NYC.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Yes in my opinion they should. You have a lot of officers that come in from the exurbs and they are not familiar enough with the city the way things work down here, the communities etc. This leads to some developing an attitude where everyone is a perp. I feel they should be required to live in the city for at least their first 5 years.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Agreed Airborne!

Available: It's wonderful that those pasty white Irishmen are doing their job and saving a kid (of whatever color) from a fire. I believe Hitler also had a dog he treated very well..and he treated his girlfriend with respect and caring...he was a real gentleman to her. Clearly he is a great guy, according to your standards, so we should simply ignore everything else!

RIGHT.

Point is...as Airborne said, we should be requiring them to live in NYS at least, but really NYC..anywhere in NYC.
NYPD is already required to live in NY State. I guess everyone ignored my post on the other page.

Most of the NYPD also lives in NYC already. Yes there are some who live outside the city, but that's mainly the ones who started families so they moved to the suburbs like most people do when that happens.

And NO they should not be required to live and work in the same precinct. That would be a headache on a grand scale. There are numerous reasons they do not allow you to work and live in the same precinct. One is a person may not want to have to arrest their neighbor in a dispute. Another is the possibility of retaliation since the person may know the cops family and where they live.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

I didn't see it. It may be the case with most NYPD, but it should be all. If it's a city job, you should live in NYC. The end. You want to live in Nassau county...be a police man there. Same for the Fire dept.

I do not believe they should work and live in the same precinct..but they should live in NYC.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Agreed Airborne!

RIGHT.

Hitler? Really buddy? I forget that you get quite emotional and make outlandish comparisons mixed in with your various straw men. Point is, when you say this:

Quote:
As it stands now, too many of them live outside the city, and simply view us as cattle and could care less about NYC, so long as the checks keep coming that is. Require residency in NYC and you will find that police and firemen care alot more and treat people alot better because they live here too. When you are simply an outside occupying force, which is what they are, is where you have alot of the problems you see.
you are straight up, and unsurprisingly talking outta your ass. For FD that is. Yeah, there are guys on the job who hold racist views. Just like any job, coming people of all different colors about all different kinds of people. Not just the "evil white civil servant". However that in no way effects how these guys will do their job. They will put their life on the line for anybody. That is not effected by where they live. And again, PD is a different debate. The only reason I am on the thread is because you lumped em together. It's a completely different job.

But please, go ahead and post more borderline retarded comparisons about historical dictators and mass genocide.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
no, who the eff give a rats ass where they live.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
To me FD is different. FD doesn't require as much day to day community interaction as NYPD does. There should definitely be some sort of 5 borough residency requirement for x amounnt of years for NYPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City