Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 PM

297 posts, read 729,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If it is more important for you to live outside of the city, then DONT work for NYC. It's that simple...and life goes on.
I dont understand this argument...did you lose a postion to a person from Sleepy Hollow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Would all of this apply to NYC public school teachers as well? If their paycheck is coming from the NYC Board of Ed (or Dept of Ed, whatever it's called), then this question should apply to them also since the city is paying them and a good majority of teachers live on LI.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yeah, I agree with this, what is the problem. you can like working in the city, but want a home in the suburbs, I don't see anything wrong with that. My parents worked in the City all their working lives, but we lived in Staten Island....My Uncle was apoliceman in brookly and lived in SI alsi,whats the big deal.

we have people working here in brooklyn that live in jersey. so what.

sobro always has a problem.....................
LoL NightCrawler, Staten Island is part of the city.
Yeah I know it's got a different feel to it, but your examples are no bueno for the point you're trying to make.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
The same places everyone else lives in NYC on those salaries (and less). If everyone else can do it, why can't the NYPD? Despite all the advertising claims on the subway, they ain't special.

And for the record..don't believe for a second cops and firefighters are not paid well. If I remember correctly, after 5 years they earn $75K and alot more with O/T, nevermind crazy amounts of sick, holiday, vacation time, lifetime pension and medical (for them and their families) + full retirement after 20 years..all with just 60 credits from Manhattan Community College.....my heart does not bleed for them. Same applies to firefighters...don't pity them..they make far more than they would have you believe.

Put it this way..a couple of cops at the tender ages of 29 years old earn $150K+++ in household income....I think they will be alright.
Wow you have it wrong.

Please don't talk about things you don't know about. I have quite a few family members who are NYPD.

First of all, they only reason they make 75K after 5 years now is because for a long time it was only 50-60K when the starting pay was under 30K. The issue was they had recruits dropping out in the academy because they couldn't survive in the city on that pay. So they were forced to raise the starting pay and the 5 year increase by default in order to have a full graduating class.

Second, they don't get full pension after 20 years. (The retirement has actually been increased to 25 years btw) My father put in 35 years and only got 3/4 of his pension. Also remember that pensions do not increase.

Third, sure you can get by with 60 credits. But only if you are content being just an officer your entire career and never getting promoted. You need a bachelors to make sergeant. My father and my brother both went back to school to make lieutenant and they already had degrees beforehand.

If there are cops out there making 150K at 29, I would like to see their paychecks because they are either on the take or full of BS. You need a certain number of years on to make certain promotions. The only way you could even make close to that at that stage of the game was if you were making arrests every time you went out on duty. And even that is a long shot. Even the highest paid detectives have to put their time in before being promoted.

Let's also not forget it's one of the most thankless jobs in the city to do. That's why so many people can't handle it and would never do it. Everyone hates you until they need you. And this type of attitude is clearly displayed in this thread.

Oh, P.S., where they live has no bearing on their views of people they have to encounter. Derelicts are derelicts no matter where you were raised.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 11-16-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Second, they don't get full pension after 20 years. (The retirement has actually been increased to 25 years btw)
Raised to 22, not 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Third, sure you can get by with 60 credits. But only if you are content being just an officer your entire career and never getting promoted. You need a bachelors to make sergeant.
Minimum to apply for promotion...

Sergeant: 64 credits

Lieutenant: 96 credits

Captain: bachelor's.

Higher education is mandatory if you want to rise in the ranks; not necessary(but looks good) if you want to join other units.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
How is this a strawman? It's a straight, clear policy. Want to work for NYC? YOU HAVE TO LIVE HERE. The end.
Because this isn't what you said the first time you responded to me. You said if someone lived in NJ then they shouldn't be able to join the NYPD. That did not address my point at all. It's so frustrating, but I keep trying because I actually enjoy reading your posts, but the constant strawmans and the instant jump to the most extreme positions just gets frustrating. Dude, EVERYONE tells you this. Can we all possibly be wrong?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I want to be a doctor....and maybe we should do away with the whole requirements for that too! Hey who needs requirements..anyone can do anything..hooray! Life ain't fair..if you want a city job, you must live in the city. If it is more important for you to live outside of the city, then DONT work for NYC. It's that simple...and life goes on.
Here we go... Do these new doctors work in Afghanistan but claim to be Nazi's in The Congo and kill people because their paint is peeling on their homes?

Come on bro, relax. You do this constantly and NO ONE but you is fooled by it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Courts long ago over ruled aginst this for all city employees. bascially it limit their chocie .they can it said require elcted officals and can eve offer compesatio for them to live i city or even certai areas within a cityMany cities do offer different compensation for living in different areas.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Very few NYPD officers actually live in NYC. The only reason people from Westchester and LI join the NYPD is because it's the only agency that hires enough people frequently enough for someone to actually have a decent chance at getting on the job ... and even then I have friends who have been waiting 2-3+ years.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Very few NYPD officers actually live in NYC.
Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City