Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, NYU Tisch hospital is out of comission due to flood damage in the basement, but it should be up and running in a few weeks. My wife and I had our kid there this summer, excellent experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lied to? "Wound up" with a C- section? They are not giving them out free, they are usually not an option...
Some first time moms have no clue how painful it can be...some women end up begging for pain meds but because it goes against her "birth plan" the DH/doula/support staff tries to discourage her. Ugh.
C-sections are sometimes necessary and sometimes options....

In my friends case, yes she does feel lied to.

As someone else mentioned, you should watch the Business of Being Born. It's actually a great documentary.

It's sometimes easy in that situation to be persuaded despite your beliefs. Others do change their mind on their "birth plan" and that's 100% okay as well. However, having strong resentment against how the birth went (which my friend still talks about 3 years later in extreme anger and emotion) I personally don't feel is right.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
C-sections are sometimes necessary and sometimes options....

In my friends case, yes she does feel lied to.

As someone else mentioned, you should watch the Business of Being Born. It's actually a great documentary.

It's sometimes easy in that situation to be persuaded despite your beliefs. Others do change their mind on their "birth plan" and that's 100% okay as well. However, having strong resentment against how the birth went (which my friend still talks about 3 years later in extreme anger and emotion) I personally don't feel is right.
Extreme anger 3 years later? Dear God.

I am the mother of 4 including twins. I had a birth plan...it was to get them the hell out by any means possible. Lol. 3 years later, I could barely thought about the moments leading up to their birth. Parents think they are making a birth plan ( should be called a rough outline) the baby calls the shots.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Extreme anger 3 years later? Dear God.

I am the mother of 4 including twins. I had a birth plan...it was to get them the hell out by any means possible. Lol. 3 years later, I could barely thought about the moments leading up to their birth. Parents think they are making a birth plan ( should be called a rough outline) the baby calls the shots.

Yeah it's sad she still thinks about it. Baby was healthy, that's what's ultimately the most important thing. But her experience (unique from the many others I've spoken to at the same and different hospitals) was a bad one.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Yeah it's sad she still thinks about it. Baby was healthy, that's what's ultimately the most important thing. But her experience (unique from the many others I've spoken to at the same and different hospitals) was a bad one.
You're right, mc. Baby arrived and all is well. That's what important. I think parents put so much pressure on themselves to have a perfect plan that everything else gets overshadowed. Look, the baby is coming one way or the other...plans, guidelines, maps, doulas, midwives or the Pope showing up isn't gonna change a thing. Go with the flow and IMO take the epidural.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM

84 posts, read 244,395 times
Quote:
You're right, mc. Baby arrived and all is well. That's what important. I think parents put so much pressure on themselves to have a perfect plan that everything else gets overshadowed. Look, the baby is coming one way or the other...plans, guidelines, maps, doulas, midwives or the Pope showing up isn't gonna change a thing. Go with the flow and IMO take the epidural.
This is exactly what wifey wants to avoid: going with the flow.
Yes the baby is coming one way or another, but that doesn't mean that you should have no saying in the process.
It's mainly because of uninformed parents that these hospitals do whatever they want.
And it's not about being perfect (I don't believe in such a thing anyway) it's about the experience being positive and memorable.
There are many ways to deal with pain, including breathing exercises. An epidural should be used ONLY when you can't stand the pain any longer, but it shouldn't be thought as first option. There are many negative side effects that come with an epidural, including the loss of feeling when you are have a contraction.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidural#section_8

It's always best to be fully informed and not just be complacent 'to go with flow'.

The 'flow' many times is all screwed up, especially when you factor in money.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
This is exactly what wifey wants to avoid: going with the flow.
Yes the baby is coming one way or another, but that doesn't mean that you should have no saying in the process.
It's mainly because of uninformed parents that these hospitals do whatever they want.
And it's not about being perfect (I don't believe in such a thing anyway) it's about the experience being positive and memorable.
There are many ways to deal with pain, including breathing exercises. An epidural should be used ONLY when you can't stand the pain any longer, but it shouldn't be thought as first option. There are many negative side effects that come with an epidural, including the loss of feeling when you are have a contraction.
Epidural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's always best to be fully informed and not just be complacent 'to go with flow'.

The 'flow' many times is all screwed up, especially when you factor in money.
Lol. I'll take "This is your first delivery & you're not the one giving birth" for $500, Alex.

What "say" do you actually want? You will not be pushing out the baby. Loss of feeling is the whole point of an epidural if "wifey" (really?) can no longer take the pain which is HER choice not yours. I'm not saying go in there blind but you're there to support her...if you're child is born healthy what is the negative part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City