U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM
 
128 posts, read 314,352 times
Reputation: 85

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to NYC (probably in the spring), I'm curious if I need a job first. I will have unemployment, because my company will lay me off if I need them to. Im 31, with a business degree and 5 years at a company. I'm wondering if I can live in Astoria or Brooklyn or someplace where the rent wouldnt be outrageous , and be able to make it. I currently live in Michigan, so I am also considering Chicago, I dont know what would be my best option? I recently got out of a long relationship and I feel that New York or Chicago would be the best situation for my happiness, I live in a small pace environment and a more fast paced enviornment would be best. I also am single, dont have kids or a house and its hard to find single women like that my age where I live. In NYC there are alot more professionals and careers, thats what I want and need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 7,265,235 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to NYC (probably in the spring), I'm curious if I need a job first. I will have unemployment, because my company will lay me off if I need them to. Im 31, with a business degree and 5 years at a company. I'm wondering if I can live in Astoria or Brooklyn or someplace where the rent wouldnt be outrageous , and be able to make it. I currently live in Michigan, so I am also considering Chicago, I dont know what would be my best option? I recently got out of a long relationship and I feel that New York or Chicago would be the best situation for my happiness, I live in a small pace environment and a more fast paced enviornment would be best. I also am single, dont have kids or a house and its hard to find single women like that my age where I live. In NYC there are alot more professionals and careers, thats what I want and need.
Hard to tell since you haven't mentioned any figures.

Also, what do you expect to do all day without a job? You don't sound very aspirational.

Have you been to NYC? Or just dreamed about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
 
128 posts, read 314,352 times
Reputation: 85
Well I'm looking at getting a business type of job around $50,000 a year. I will be looking alot when I get there, interviewing, ect. Its just that I cant really interview and get hired from Michigan very well, or are there possibilities of doing that as well? Ive been to Manhatten and Brooklyn, I think its the best place in the USA, its a very fun place but also a place I'd like to live and be a part of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
 
347 posts, read 578,758 times
Reputation: 659
Isn't the maximum unemployment for Michigan around $400 a week? Living off $1600 a month is going to be very tough- look for at least 50% of your income to go toward your housing-and you will definitely need roommates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 7,265,235 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
Well I'm looking at getting a business type of job around $50,000 a year. I will be looking alot when I get there, interviewing, ect. Its just that I cant really interview and get hired from Michigan very well, or are there possibilities of doing that as well? Ive been to Manhatten and Brooklyn, I think its the best place in the USA, its a very fun place but also a place I'd like to live and be a part of.
Do you have any contacts in NY?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
 
128 posts, read 314,352 times
Reputation: 85
Yeah its probably 400 a week, which is not alot. Ok yeah I dont mind roomates right away thats fine. I also dont mind not saving any money I have some money saved up to move with and for other various expenses that may come up. There are some alumni from the university I graduated from that I can look up, and also I may try to find a recruiter before I move as well. I think its important to have a connection, and thats something I can work on right away with the internet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
 
Location: USA
8,012 posts, read 10,814,542 times
Reputation: 3442
you could probably find a room somewhere,
then go job hunting for a few weeks, but
don't stick your neck out too far. you might
have to go back where ya from if it doesn't
work out for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,895 posts, read 5,669,852 times
Reputation: 2177
Chicago is cheaper and closer to home (Michigan?). Hence your best bet if you're deciding between the two. I assume you already have enough money to give for 1st month's rent and security deposit. This will be asked of you, regardless of what city you move to.

NYC is the most expensive city in the U.S. and coming here without a job will not be a pleasant experience, so I would advise against it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
 
128 posts, read 314,352 times
Reputation: 85
I'm wondering how everyone else with a business degree that wants to come there actually is able to make it there.. I mean do they get hired without moving first? Do you pretty much have to know somebody first?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 7,265,235 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
I'm wondering how everyone else with a business degree that wants to come there actually is able to make it there.. I mean do they get hired without moving first? Do you pretty much have to know somebody first?

It's easier to find a job with a job. If you're laid off or you have gaps in your resume, it can make a potential employer skeptical. Additionally, coming from such a long distance, they may hesitate to spend their time/money on recruiting you only to find out that you don't want to relocate after all. I know one person that put a friend's address on his resume (local to NY) rather than his distant address. He felt they were more likely to look at his resume if he appeared local.

NY has a very different pace than the rest of the country as well. Employers want to ensure they hire someone that can handle the demands.

It can also be hard to get an apartment without proof of employment, despite savings. You might want to do airbnb or sublet short-term rather than lock yourself into an expense with an unsure future.

I wish you the best of luck. And please don't take offense but if your online language skills are indeed consistent with your written English, you might want to proofread carefully anything you send to a future employer. I mean that constructively and not to criticize.

I agree with a previous poster that Chicago might be more realistic. There are companies that have offices in NY and Chicago, so you can eventually look to transfer down the line.

Contacts/alums can help as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top