Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 12,448 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.... ignore my username made it years ago...

I've been looking for a 1br in a nice building... looked at normandie courts didnt like the vibes I got there... saw some nightmare quality reviews and decided against it...

We have a 2500$ budget and are looking for some suggestsion about buildings... we could move somewhere else in a different borough but since we both work/go to school in manhattan we're obviously a bit selective about where/how far we are...

any help would be appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote/response: The post has been removed

To answer your question directly I would say Inwood should be a definite option to find a nice 1-BR unit for under $2,500/month. Yes, it's on the very northern reach of Manhattan, but from what I understand there is a lot of parkland in the neighborhood to make it kid-friendly, it's pretty safe, and there's more artists and "creative" types moving in.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-17-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
So, you did not like the building in Yorkville, but did you like the neighborhood? There is a large student presence in the area, if that matters to you. It's possible in that area to find a decent 1BR, but you have to be on new listings quickly as they will go fast. Do you want a no fee apartment? That is going to be much tougher in Manhattan for $2500 if you are perusing the regular listings.

I would look through the no fee buildings listed on NY Bits in range to see if there are any vacancies, though you have to contact the management company directly, not rely on information that may be out of date, as they may know of an apartment that is coming on line, but is not yet ready.

What's your target move date? Do you have a while to research and find an apartment, or do you need to look quickly? Also look at the section on Property Managers on NY Bits as that will give you contact information for particular buildings, some of which may have on-site leasing offices.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,182,850 times
I lived in a clean 1 bedroom in Hell's Kitchen from '09-'11 that cost $1,850 initially. Yeah I rented during the worst of the recession and it did indeed jump $100 after a year. However I imagine if I found one at that price, you can at yours. Just with no frills...

Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,868 times
Depends what you define as a nice building. Are you open to walk-ups? No doormen? That will reduce your price. Also consider alcoves versus true one bedrooms. I know plenty of people that live in one bedrooms for less than $2500 but these are modest apartments that are comfortable but not luxurious.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,606,518 times
I assume you mean below 96th Street...in upper Manhattan it's very easy, in fact it would be hard to find a 1BR that expensive.

In "prime" Manhattan, I know at least two people paying less than that for decent places, one in Kips Bay and the other on Upper East Side near 1st Ave. I think that's where the deals are: Kips Bay, Murray Hill, UES east of 3rd. Basically the least fashionable neighborhoods.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM

991 posts, read 1,760,454 times
Easily. Doorman, gym and utilities are included in some as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,686 times
I'm going to guess that some parts of downtown (Financial district, South St. Seaport) and going to become a bit cheaper now after this mess with Hurricane Sandy. I know there were apts there in that ballpark before.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Blunt View Post
We have a 2500$ budget and are looking for some suggestsion about buildings... we could move somewhere else in a different borough but since we both work/go to school in manhattan we're obviously a bit selective about where/how far we are...
What's so "obvious[ly]"????

Or, do you mean obviously narrow in scope?

More people work and go to school in Manhattan and live outside of Manhattan than those who live in Manhattan. Guess what? Almost all pay LESS than $2500 for larger and nicer apartments!!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
I rather like Normandie Court but don't know it intimately.
If you can get a 1 bedroom in NC for $2500, there are many high rises in that area (upper Yorkville) to choose from.

Normandie Court and South around Third Avenue is a very nice, very safe place to live with an IMMENSE supply of housing.

As you approcah FIrst Avenue, the prices go down.

I have heard there are MANY bargains on Second Avenue because of the annoying endless subway construction...but it has become a pretty depressing street.

Have you checked the very nice RELATED tower at the corner of 94th and Third (Carnegie Park?) Oops, never mind...they want $3350. But that's a top-of-the-line building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City