Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 14,198 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I grew up in Jackson Heights, NY and moved to Clifton, NJ after we were married, have a baby now and rethinking NJ life. Looking to move somewhere that offers best of both worlds. My hubbie works in the city lower part (hell's kitchen) and I am lucky to stay at home. Sooo, we're thinking of moving somewhere were I can stay at home, good school district, small commute to NYC and decent backyard space. Viewed some homes in SI, but know nothing about it. So information on zip codes 10302, 10309, 10304, 10301 and such would be great help. Also if anyone knows the commute time from areas in SI to the city would be great as well. We're looking around 350-400 range for a house, 3B 1.5bath. thanks again!!!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM

190 posts, read 982,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrs+baby View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I grew up in Jackson Heights, NY and moved to Clifton, NJ after we were married, have a baby now and rethinking NJ life. Looking to move somewhere that offers best of both worlds. My hubbie works in the city lower part (hell's kitchen) and I am lucky to stay at home. Sooo, we're thinking of moving somewhere were I can stay at home, good school district, small commute to NYC and decent backyard space. Viewed some homes in SI, but know nothing about it. So information on zip codes 10302, 10309, 10304, 10301 and such would be great help. Also if anyone knows the commute time from areas in SI to the city would be great as well. We're looking around 350-400 range for a house, 3B 1.5bath. thanks again!!!:
You'll probably find a bigger place for that money in most of the zip codes you mentioned except for, maybe, 10309.

10301 has nicer areas, but much of it includes Stapleton and Tompkinsville, areas that are majority bad.

10304 is generally Concord which is majority not so good.

10309 is Prince's Bay. It's kind of nice out there, but sort of remote. It'll take you at least 30-40 minutes of morning rush hour traffic on Hylan Boulevard to get to the bridge and cross into Brooklyn. If you take the express buses, they usually go through Tottenville, through New Jersey, and enter the city around the Hell's Kitchen area. Prince's Bay is generally nice. Clean, new, large homes. A little pricier than what you listed, though. And like neighboring Great Kills (10308) it's got a teenage hoodlum problem.

My advice? Stay away from Staten Island. Real estate prices here are steadying as the supply far outstrips the demand, I believe. And it certainly doesn't offer "the best of both worlds." Stay in New Jersey until the dust settles and then consider Brooklyn or Long Island City, Queens.

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM

718 posts, read 2,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrs+baby View Post
Hello everyone,

10301 - 10305 for the most part are dumpy. The exceptions are extremely expensive - in the millions. Sunnyside and the cheaper parts of Grymes Hill are nice in 10301. Hour commute to hell's kitchen. 10314 is nice for North Shore.

10307, 10309, 10308, 10312 are probably a downgrade from Clifton to be honest with you. More suburban, more gaudy houses, more spoiled kids. Clifton is much more convenient to the Manhattan too. Unless you want to live in 1960's Bensonhurst meets credit card debt rap star lifestyle in the suburbs, stay away from the South Shore of SI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City