Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times

Advertisements

The only bum I dont want to see is the squigeeman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Tell us more about these altercations you've gotten into, OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
You REALLY want to know? I can certainly tell you some wild stories of these mongrols.

Go ahead, let's see watcha got...

Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
I have heard that some folk have taken to walking with a cane.
It takes a bit of training to whield it correctly, so some one can't take it from you and use it on you.
If you bother to get the training (martial art) a great many tallant can keep you out of trouble. Or have the skill to directly deal with insistant trouble.
The way the econemy is going ,I can see this is going to only get worse not better.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,635 times
The ones in NYC are really aggressive for some reason. When I was in Chicago a few months ago, there were homeless people EVERYWHERE on North Michigan but they were so nice in the way they approach you and even if you didn't give them money, they were nice about it. Now I actually feel bad. I guess it's because of all the NYC bums.

If it makes you feel better, a bum woman actually punched my back a few months ago because I didn't offer to buy her a piece of chicken at Popeyes while I passed by (like I even could). I wanted to swing at her but she was old and my friend told me she's always around and hitting people if they didn't give her money. I really don't mind if they just keep quiet or ask nicely, whatsoever but if they're going to get tough about it, it pisses me off.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If it makes you feel any better, one time me and 1 of my boys were eating at the McDonalds around my way years ago.....a bum came in and started asking every table if they had change...the manager came out, grabbed a chair, and proceeded to hit the bum across his back with the chair. Literally beat his ass out the McDonalds.
I feel bad but I laughed my ass off to this. That bum probably was told not to enter again but was very stubborn and aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The system has failed to take care of these mentally disturbed people. the other day while I was work in my west village office, I saw a crazy bum walking down the street swinging a 4+ inch knife at random people....I was in shock and wanted to call the cops, but a part of me felt guilty and I didn't call because I felt like I wanted to be responsible for the guys death in the event a trigger happy cop happened to confront him. In any event I convinced myself that if someone on the street feels threatened by this guy let them call 911
Frig him. I rather NOT wait till someone completely innocent is hurt or killed. If it calls for someone to be put down like that, bum or not, I'm for it. Why wait and have another Nicole Barrett incident like in 1999?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice501 View Post
I'd rather have a cop gun down a crazy bum that's swinging a knife at people than have him stab someone.
Concur 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice501 View Post
I just recently moved to NYC and I am really getting tired of all the schizophrenic hobos harassing people on the street and the subway. That is part of the reason I'm thinking of going to LA, where I can avoid public transportation and walking around on the streets filled with bums.
I totally hear you. For some reason the bums in L.A. seem more "entertaining" than volatile. At least that was my experience but I'm not in L.A. everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
You should have been here from the 70s-early 90s. There's been some backslide the last few years as the economy has tanked. But it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I was in my 20/30s in the 90s and thin back then, as well as being female. Had a number of them try to block my path/intimidate me trying to get money. I'd just find the most public/well lit place to go. Even better if there was a cop around. Then they'd back off.
I can only imagine how bad it was. I remember how it was when I was a kid, but being an adult and traveling on my own I see fully for myself the dangers of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only bum I dont want to see is the squigeeman!
HAHAHA! I hate when they run up to your car and just insist on washing your windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have heard that some folk have taken to walking with a cane.
It takes a bit of training to whield it correctly, so some one can't take it from you and use it on you.
If you bother to get the training (martial art) a great many tallant can keep you out of trouble. Or have the skill to directly deal with insistant trouble.
The way the econemy is going ,I can see this is going to only get worse not better.
I've always been into martial arts but lately I've been doing more weapons training for this reason. Unfortunately, these experiences have motivated me more to be prepared because these bums are scaring me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
The ones in NYC are really aggressive for some reason. When I was in Chicago a few months ago, there were homeless people EVERYWHERE on North Michigan but they were so nice in the way they approach you and even if you didn't give them money, they were nice about it. Now I actually feel bad. I guess it's because of all the NYC bums..
I notice that too. I'm sure there's aggressive, hostile bums everywhere but it just seems to be many more of them in NYC to me....Either way its getting ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Go ahead, let's see watcha got...

I'll just start with one or two.

One night, on my way from Brooklyn on Atlantic ave to the Bronx this White guy was laying on a bench. Right across from me. A few minutes later he starts spewing insane rhetoric about "us disrespecting his people". At first I thought white people but he started attacking all the white people, stomping at them and spitting. A lot of them left to the next car and he aims his attention at me. He goes: "P-U-S-S-Y!" repeatably to me. So, he starts spitting at me but none of them spit reaches me so I am getting ready to move to the next car but he starts marching toward me. He gets close to me and I do nothing. So I go to the next car. He follows and starts harassing one of the ladies who tried to avoid him in the last car he was in.

So, I step in to defend her and a physical altercation breaks up but I just subdue him by holding him down. Luckily my wrestling from high school kicked in. This guy had that "retard strength" and was trying to friggin bite me. Luckily, a good samaritan came in and helped me and the next stop (Christopher street) we take him out to the platform till someone else gets cops. The whole time he's trying to bite, scratch, and he's still spitting. The cops come and take him away and they put a plastic bag over his head. At the end of it, I had scratches all over my arms and felt diseased.

And I remember once on a long train ride home (E train) back in 2007 my friends and I were sitting down. This bum comes on the train and tells my friend "I sleep on this car, on this bench of the train. You mind?". My friend ignores him and the bum reiterates the question. Then we all ignore him and he threatens to slap all of us which. We all ignored him again and then the guy lasy down on the bench and starts putting his filthy boots, kicking my friend. In an attempt to kick him off the bench. Which was a huge mistake since my friend is 6'1 240 plus pounds and was a college football player and took up boxing. People underestimate his baby face and kind demeanor though.

Needless, to say my friend lays some lunch box fist on him but doesn't hit his face and knock him out. He hits mostly his legs and midsection of his body.The bum however gets up and moves and starts to limp...then cry. Which prompts him to start bitching and moaning more. He then chalks up a big lougie and spits it our way. We move out the way but some still manages to get on me. On my hand. And I FLIPPED out. Which prompted my friend and I to give the guy a beat down, which resulted in me unfortunately getting in trouble with the law. WHICH really bothered me because I started to ask the cops and myself "Where are they when these hooligans are running rampant causing everyone else inconvenience?"

I didn't face any time in prison but I had to do the whole court thing and blah, blah, blah.

I have some more crazy bum stories. But I can probably write a good essay on them.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'll just start with one or two.

One night, on my way from Brooklyn on Atlantic ave to the Bronx this White guy was laying on a bench. Right across from me. A few minutes later he starts spewing insane rhetoric about "us disrespecting his people". At first I thought white people but he started attacking all the white people, stomping at them and spitting. A lot of them left to the next car and he aims his attention at me. He goes: "P-U-S-S-Y!" repeatably to me. So, he starts spitting at me but none of them spit reaches me so I am getting ready to move to the next car but he starts marching toward me. He gets close to me and I do nothing. So I go to the next car. He follows and starts harassing one of the ladies who tried to avoid him in the last car he was in.

So, I step in to defend her and a physical altercation breaks up but I just subdue him by holding him down. Luckily my wrestling from high school kicked in. This guy had that "retard strength" and was trying to friggin bite me. Luckily, a good samaritan came in and helped me and the next stop (Christopher street) we take him out to the platform till someone else gets cops. The whole time he's trying to bite, scratch, and he's still spitting. The cops come and take him away and they put a plastic bag over his head. At the end of it, I had scratches all over my arms and felt diseased.

And I remember once on a long train ride home (E train) back in 2007 my friends and I were sitting down. This bum comes on the train and tells my friend "I sleep on this car, on this bench of the train. You mind?". My friend ignores him and the bum reiterates the question. Then we all ignore him and he threatens to slap all of us which. We all ignored him again and then the guy lasy down on the bench and starts putting his filthy boots, kicking my friend. In an attempt to kick him off the bench. Which was a huge mistake since my friend is 6'1 240 plus pounds and was a college football player and took up boxing. People underestimate his baby face and kind demeanor though.

Needless, to say my friend lays some lunch box fist on him but doesn't hit his face and knock him out. He hits mostly his legs and midsection of his body.The bum however gets up and moves and starts to limp...then cry. Which prompts him to start bitching and moaning more. He then chalks up a big lougie and spits it our way. We move out the way but some still manages to get on me. On my hand. And I FLIPPED out. Which prompted my friend and I to give the guy a beat down, which resulted in me unfortunately getting in trouble with the law. WHICH really bothered me because I started to ask the cops and myself "Where are they when these hooligans are running rampant causing everyone else inconvenience?"

I didn't face any time in prison but I had to do the whole court thing and blah, blah, blah.

I have some more crazy bum stories. But I can probably write a good essay on them.

Oh man, that first one is rough. That's literally the one thing I've always been happy about having avoided a physical confrontation some street skell in all of my years. Getting bitten or scratched. And you caught both. That sucks, broseph.

Thanks for sharing...

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Some wild and rather scary stories above. One thing to keep in mind however is that there is nothing more dangerous then someone who feels they have nothing to lose. When an actual psychiatric disorder is involved that adds aggression to this is present one faces a dangerous opponent.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,370 times
I'm sorry Lital but I have to ask the mods to do a full quarantine on your post in case those lougie flying
out from the monitor. I'm feeling dirty just reading your story about the bit, scratch, and lougie. I can
almost smell their odor from your post.

I will never want to get into an altercation with bums, they have nothing to lose, and usually have some
kind of mental issues. Do you want to put your hands on them even if they are just standing there to
let you hit them? It's a no win situation no matter what you do.

The most depressing part is instead of getting more help from the government for housing and medicine
to keep them somewhat sane and functional in their life. We are reading budget cuts for these people.
I much rather the tax money spent on the mentally ill and homeless people who truly needed help than
those lazy bums who abuse the system.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I'm sorry Lital but I have to ask the mods to do a full quarantine on your post in case those lougie flying
out from the monitor. I'm feeling dirty just reading your story about the bit, scratch, and lougie. I can
almost smell their odor from your post.

I will never want to get into an altercation with bums, they have nothing to lose, and usually have some
kind of mental issues. Do you want to put your hands on them even if they are just standing there to
let you hit them? It's a no win situation no matter what you do.

The most depressing part is instead of getting more help from the government for housing and medicine
to keep them somewhat sane and functional in their life. We are reading budget cuts for these people.
I much rather the tax money spent on the mentally ill and homeless people who truly needed help than
those lazy bums who abuse the system.

I agree. There should be more done for people who need it, Them wandering around endangering themselves and others is not good. Every person who abuses the system is responsible for the draining of resources that can be used for people who need it. Unfortunately, We cannot make people care about others and want to make something of themselves and it's impossible to discover every single case of misuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City