Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I know I said I won't respond to you but I promise I won't after this. If you look at one of my earlier post, you'll know that I have gotten physical TWICE with bums. So me being a scaredy cat, no. I know when I have to defend myself but you're missing the point.
Oh, sorry then, but you started it by calling me a "Pacifist" first. There was no need for that. I'm faaarrrrr from a pacifist. Believe me.

I know you're new to the city, but many people don't know (or have forgotten) the drastic and horrible steps landlords took to remove many of the people you see on the street. They actually had homes or rooms to live in the city, but not anymore. Think about it? Even regular "stable" NYers can't get apartments now, so you know it's very difficult for them.

They can't get foodstamps, because they probably can't cook in the shelters they sleep in and you can't purchase hot foods on foodstamps. It's super difficult to get cash benefits and even if they could it wouldn't be much. These people should be getting some type of SSI or disability payments, but from the way they're acting, it's clear they are not.

Bums have been here since forever, but since this recession I'm sure it's gone up and the police can't house them in an already super crowded jail just for being poor (vagrancy) or a nuisance.

It's sad that in 2012 they still do not have any decent housing for these people. I know the housing isn't nice, because if it was, they would go home, instead of staying out all night harassing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Oh, sorry then, but you started it by calling me a "Pacifist" first. There was no need for that. I'm faaarrrrr from a pacifist. Believe me.

I know you're new to the city, but many people don't know (or have forgotten) the drastic and horrible steps landlords took to remove many of the people you see on the street. They actually had homes or rooms to live in the city, but not anymore. Think about it? Even regular "stable" NYers can't get apartments now, so you know it's very difficult for them.

They can't get foodstamps, because they probably can't cook in the shelters they sleep in and you can't purchase hot foods on foodstamps. It's super difficult to get cash benefits and even if they could it wouldn't be much. These people should be getting some type of SSI or disability payments, but from the way they're acting, it's clear they are not.

Bums have been here since forever, but since this recession I'm sure it's gone up and the police can't house them in an already super crowded jail just for being poor (vagrancy) or a nuisance.

It's sad that in 2012 they still do not have any decent housing for these people. I know the housing isn't nice, because if it was, they would go home, instead of staying out all night harassing people.
Well, a pacifist isn't always a bad thing but if that offended you, I apologize, I hate to be name calling. However, I am NOT new to this city my friend, not new at all. Guess what? I've been here ALL my life actually . I was born in Astoria Queens, lived in the Bronx most my life but when it comes down to it I was raised in this city period. I know all 5 boroughs very well, almost like the back of my hand. From 167th in Walton Ave in the Bronx, Northern BLVD in Queens, Brownsville and Coney Island in Brooklyn, the projects of L.E.S., New Dorp Staten Island and many more areas all over NYC. Since my inception to this Earth in 86, I've been living in NYC.

Like I mentioned in the first post of this thread that I started, I've been homeless, I've been in shelters, I've dealt with hellish landlords, I've been evicted from 2 homes. I was a kid and a teenager while all this happened but non-the-less I know how it is too truly struggle. Being homeless is no fun. And repeat I feel MUCH compassion for those that were honest tax payers and fell into unfortunate circumstances and for the vets that served this country. I've volunteered at shelters, soup kitchens, and did the whole meals on wheels thing for these people in college once.

The problem is a lot of these bums are mentally ill people who have no family and are let loose into the streets. I forgive them to an extent since its not their fault but they have some sanity and know the actions they are making, they just feel entitled to something because they have nothing. Then there's the crackheads, alcoholics and drug addicts who will do WHATEVER it takes to get their fix and at the end of the day, they choose substance abuse over making themselves productive members of society. They choose to be a nuisance, to be infidels and to feel sorry for themselves and then feel like they are owed something from everyone else. They basically CHOOSE to be homeless.

SOME of these other types of (mostly white) homeless people also come from wealthy families but choose to leave a vagabond lifestyle for whatever "white guilt" and political reason they might feel. Its not to say they don't have real problems either but a lot of them put it on themselves and I can't feel sorry for somebody who has it good but chooses to just be bums.

I sympathize wholeheartedly but once you are around these bums, homeless people, street urchins, vagabonds, hobo's you kind of get a feel of who is who, what is what and it all shows through their actions.

So yeah, I've been in NYC all my life and I know nasty, shady, crazy, hostile, volatile bums when I see one.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Ahh bums! You know what they say... Can't live with 'em, can't throw 'em in a wood chipper legally!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
stop sympathizing. i'm sure most of the
bums don't give two fishes about you.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM

297 posts, read 729,608 times
I was walking by the Subway entrance at 5th and 53rd and there was a bum there with no pants on. i dont know where his pants were, but they werent on him. He was just hanging there in the breeze.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM

156 posts, read 285,655 times
Lital, you have added the definitive reason I'll never eat at Wendy's again. On top of the pink slime...

In the mid-80s I was walking downtown on 7th Ave. Midday on a weekday. Old woman just walks up to me & hits me, then laughs hysterically! Didn't speak. Next block I encounter a cop. Pointing to the woman, I told him what had happened. His reply was, "What do you want me to do?" I was totally speechless. Why, oh why, didn't I ask the cop whether she was really allowed to do that.

And I hate to say it, but Giuliani--Bloomberg have improved the city.

Last edited by palomalou; 11-20-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Had this just yesterday. A guy hassling me at the Metrocard machine, Which I used against my normally not using them. Was willing to take $1.00 for a swipe! I told him have a good day and he began grunting and making faces. Jeez.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
A number of years ago 60 Minutes did a piece on a homeless guy named Larry Hogue (AKA the wildman of 96th St.). This guy was literally living on W. 96th St. (or nearby alleys) and seemed to make it his occupation to terrorize and torment the local residents. At one point he pushed a young girl into the street in the path of oncoming traffic. Fortunately she wasn't hit. And it turned out the justice system couldn't hold him accountable because he was high on drugs at the time and therefore "not respnsible for his actions". When he was off drugs he was a likeable, rational guy but when he was high he was a raving maniac. And since all of his crazy behavior took place when he was high all the legal system could do was lock him up until he was clean and then let him loose. At which point he would head straight back to 96th St. I don't know whatever became of this guy but he was definitely the "bum from hell".

Last edited by r small; 11-21-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
A number of years ago 60 Minutes did a piece on a homeless guy named Larry Hogue (AKA the wildman of 96th St.). This guy was literally living on W. 96th St. (or nearby alleys) and seemed to make it his occupation to terrorize and torment the local residents. At one point he pushed a young girl into the street in the path of oncoming traffic. Fortunately she wasn't hit. And it turned out the justice system couldn't hold him accountable because he was high on drugs at the time and therefore "not respnsible for his actions". When he was off drugs he was a likeable, rational guy but when he was high he was a raving maniac. And since all of his crazy behavior took place when he was high all the legal system could do was lock him up until he was clean and then let him loose. At which point he would head straight back to 96th St. I don't know whatever became of this guy but he was definitely the "bum from hell".
I remember that guy.

If he was on my street he'd end up in the trunk of a car. If not a citizen's, good chance it would be a police car as the cops around here don't play. Shoot first ask questions later. Not good to be unruly around here.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
This article was from 3 years ago, but you can't forget his face, I would be surprised if he is still
alive today.

The Wild Man of 96th St., Larry Hogue, caught by police on Upper West Side - New York Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City