Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 AM

499 posts, read 791,941 times

Advertisements

Smh at "worser"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,795,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Queensbridge Houses is the largest public housing development in the United States.
That is what is said, and I suppose in a technical fashion it is true; BUTTTT.....

You've been around, in many spots in Brooklyn alone, Coney Island and East New York, there is nothing but BLOCKS upon BLOCKS of public and subsidized housing of one form or another. I'm talking MILES of public housing!

Now, technically, this cluster of buildings here might be called ABC Housing, and that block of buidings 123 Housing, and the group over there may be Phi Beta Delta Homes, each is counted as separate, but when they are all located in the same area, collectively they DWARF Queensbridge and anything in Chicago for that matter.

This is why Queensbridge is so misleading. I've also found it to be rather small, and UN imposing compared to MANY of the "projects" in East NY , Brownsville and Coney Island. Harlem too!

Then there are subsidized developments like Starett City, which covers a larger ar with larger buildings, and is far more imposing size wise than Queensbridge.

I believe the same c/b said for Coop City in the Bronx!

Just sayin....

Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM

33,889 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
That is what is said, and I suppose in a technical fashion it is true; BUTTTT.....

You've been around, in many spots in Brooklyn alone, Coney Island and East New York, there is nothing but BLOCKS upon BLOCKS of public and subsidized housing of one form or another. I'm talking MILES of public housing!

Now, technically, this cluster of buildings here might be called ABC Housing, and that block of buidings 123 Housing, and the group over there may be Phi Beta Delta Homes, each is counted as separate, but when they are all located in the same area, collectively they DWARF Queensbridge and anything in Chicago for that matter.

This is why Queensbridge is so misleading. I've also found it to be rather small, and UN imposing compared to MANY of the "projects" in East NY , Brownsville and Coney Island. Harlem too!

Then there are subsidized developments like Starett City, which covers a larger ar with larger buildings, and is far more imposing size wise than Queensbridge.

Just sayin....
Well this is true.....In Harlem from Lenox Avenue to 1st Avenue on 112th Street that whole strip is NYCHA....pretty rough, actually almost got robbed around there once. But that's my fault for walking in the street with a big gold drug dealer looking chain with a large pendant.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Just sayin....
Definitely agree with this. Just saw the post... Queensbridge while it has seen an uptick in crime this year may be the largest single public housing development in the city but as Jcoltrane mentioned in comparison with those other areas that are saturated with public housing one on one side, one on the other, another on the corner... that's far more intimidating and causes more problems than anything Queensbridge has to offer... To me, that stretch on Mother Gaston Blvd. even 5, 6 years ago was probably the worst the city had to offer... My bet as to the reason why it's cooled down was because due to the press it had been receiving last couple of years... police stings caught three separate large gang affiliated drug distributors and locked them up... Things still happen around there no question but it's way tamer than it used to be...

Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM

630 posts, read 992,110 times
No, what really cleaned up NY were the people of neighborhood associations from the Bronx/S. Bronx to Lower Manhattan being fed up with blights and crimes, so they got together to clean up and invest in the hoods with the help of time and improving economy. Mayor Ed Kotch and several later mayors up to Bloomberg fought crimes and pour more money to fund new housing for the poor in the Bronx and other boroughs. All the neighborhoods improve over time and got rid of alot of the blights. It took the areas to be very bad and unsafe by 1978 for these people to realize that their neighborhoods were in shambles. Now, you see all kinds of investments being made by adding groceries, drug stores and hardware stores being in the bottom of new mixed used projects popping all over the former rundown areas and making NY a cool place to live. Just look at S. Bronx which is a booming area with most of the real affordable housing being or have been built with alot of retail.

The same can be said for Times Sq. and Soho and Hell's Kitchen areas. The neighborhood associations got together and improved the area over time with the help of several economic upswings and the local government participating. NY was a pit back in the mid 60's to mid 90's, and now, the city is a favorite hangouts for families from nearby states all the way to Indiana/Ohio to yuppies.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM

555 posts, read 1,181,499 times
City always goes in cycles.Sure it will, something will come along. In the 40s who would of thought "crack?"
Will it happen in our life time? Prob not. But I believe at some point it will go 70s/80s/91-92..............and then back to "good"

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM

630 posts, read 992,110 times
Hopefully, they brains this time and not let the city slide. The lessons, hopefully, has been learned, but people are known to forget and make the same mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City