Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

Bronxguyanese: I think it's great the Bronx has the highest percentage of new business growth from 1991, however I would like to know what types of businesses have been opened. If this is primarily bodegas, 99 cent stores, and fast food joints, which based on my observations the bulk are, I think that is lousy news and does not bode well for the borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
NYWriter, your right with taxes in general in NYS. It's not a business friendly place.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bronxguyanese: I think it's great the Bronx has the highest percentage of new business growth from 1991, however I would like to know what types of businesses have been opened. If this is primarily bodegas, 99 cent stores, and fast food joints, which based on my observations the bulk are, I think that is lousy news and does not bode well for the borough.
So wait, you are trying to say that a Dominican unisex business in Mott Haven or a Yemeni Bodega in University Heights can qualify as a Startup? I though Startups was only associated with the creation of software technology and silly ios app development. In other news that link from Riverdale press stated that bronx unemployment rate is at 13%, the highest it has been since 1991. which was at 9%. Time for me to invest money in a kickstarter to help fund startups!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
I always ask if is it made in America. If not, I try to find a substitute that is. Sadly, most of the furniture you buy is made is China, many electronic components (LG), machinery for manufacturing, etc.

Hi-tech is the only real avenue for growth that would be viable in NYC for all the reasons you already outlined. Real Estate, taxes, etc. are very high, so why would any plant want to come to NYC? Unless they get a massive tax break.
Could a bunch of Brooklyn hipsters really represent the new face of American manufacturing? By Will Oremus - Made in America: How To Reinvent American Manufacturing - Slate Hive

This is happening in Brooklyn - would make more sense in the Bronx in my opinion since real estate is much cheaper.

However, I can't see most Bronx residents being major consumers of these items - items made anywhere in NYC will be more expensive than those made in China/India...

Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Could a bunch of Brooklyn hipsters really represent the new face of American manufacturing? By Will Oremus - Made in America: How To Reinvent American Manufacturing - Slate Hive

This is happening in Brooklyn - would make more sense in the Bronx in my opinion since real estate is much cheaper.

However, I can't see most Bronx residents being major consumers of these items - items made anywhere in NYC will be more expensive than those made in China/India...
The Brooklyn businesses are not even selling that much to businesses in Brooklyn. They are selling to high end businesses in Manhattan. Making props for the film industry, or sausages for Manhattan restaurants. That could as easily be done in the Bronx as Manhattan.

Its probably more advanced in Brooklyn due to the simple face there are many neighborhoods in Brooklyn closer to the business centers of Manhattan, much closer than even the South Bronx.

And to be honest, you're much more likely to meet wealthy and connected people in Williamsburg, Dumbo, Downtown Brooklyn, and Brooklyn Heights than you are in the South Bronx. That's a factor as well.

It'll likely take some pretty decent tax incentives from City Hall and/or Albany to accelerate these developments in the Bronx. Or maybe as the Upper East Side and the Upper West Side continue their march up into Harlem, these things will speed up as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

Plenty of Brooklyn Hipsters make stuff and sell them on Etsy.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So wait, you are trying to say that a Dominican unisex business in Mott Haven or a Yemeni Bodega in University Heights can qualify as a Startup? I though Startups was only associated with the creation of software technology and silly ios app development. In other news that link from Riverdale press stated that bronx unemployment rate is at 13%, the highest it has been since 1991. which was at 9%. Time for me to invest money in a kickstarter to help fund startups!
13% is what's reported. That number does not take into account people that have just quit the workforce or have given up looking. I have read that the real time number is up near 20%.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
13% is what's reported. That number does not take into account people that have just quit the workforce or have given up looking. I have read that the real time number is up near 20%.
That I know, also lets count those who are under employed or working part time!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Detroit is a dead city. Half the population is functionally illiterate, half unemployed. The Bronx has problems but not on that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City