Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Given all the controversy over 'da hood' that has formed in relatively large sections that the Bronx, I ask what were the major factors which caused it? Please weight them also.

Example:
1. Lack of blue collar jobs in the 1970s 20%
2. Impact of double diget inflation in the 1970s/80s. 15%
3. Drop in quality of life due to Section 8/public housing 40%
4. Increasingly poor PS system-bussing 20%
5. Inpact of Robert Moses public infrastructure programs 5%

Just interested on how others may see/judge what was responsible for turning the Bronx into America's poorest Congressional system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Hi all,

Given all the controversy over 'da hood' that has formed in relatively large sections that the Bronx, I ask what were the major factors which caused it? Please weight them also.

Example:

Just interested on how others may see/judge what was responsible for turning the Bronx into America's poorest Congressional system.
Correction the Bronx is not a congressional district, its a county, Bronx shares three congressional districts with 3 other counties areas of University Heights shares its congressional district with Charlie Rangel now which controls all of Northern Manhattan, East Bronx shares a congressional district with Queens, and Areas of Riverdale, Kingsbridge and Williamsbridge share a congressional district with Yonkers of some sort. congressional district 16 is only for the South Bronx.

Blue collar jobs not only died in the Bronx it died out citywide, NYC was still stuck in a wartime manufacturing economy during that period. When the blue collar jobs left so did much of its people who followed the Jobs to Suburbia, now those jobs are now located in China and India.

Inflation continues to rise today, Inflation caused Roman Empire and also the Spanish Empire to decline very quickly, America will have a similar fate. Prices are higher, people in the Bronx are still buying iphones, WiiU, Xbox, Jordan Sneakers etc. I dont know how much more money Uncle same has left in its coffers to support people here.

I cant put much blame on Housing Projects and Section 8, tenements can be just as bad or even worse as some of the most infamous Housing Projects of the Bronx.

For me what nailed the Coffin shut for the Bronx was ramming the Cross Bronx Expressway along East Tremont Avenue, blockbusting was the name of the game then. Many properties owners sold thier devalued properties along East Tremont. Many communites were destroyed by this along with the demolition of the Third Avenue El which is unrelated to R Moses. On the bright side Moses helped elminate the slums by eradacting them in the form of Housing Projects, but like the slums, crime and poverty came back in. Irish and Italians were replaced by migrants from a tiny Caribbean Island which America occupied in 1898and AA escaping Jim Crow Lalalalalala land.

Bronx needs good people to build its self up especially in southern portions of the borough, however most good people dont stay and plan on leaving when they get to chance too. I know many people across the borough from the PJS to tenements from Coop City to Riverdale, good people who are saving up money to buy for that dream home in FL, PA, Upstate, or NC.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...eople-nyc.html

Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Example:

Probably all of the above. I would add one. White flight in the 70's. Many neighborhoods saw white residents flee when brown and black people started to move in. The economic conditions at the time made it simple for people to just move out to the suburbs to the better life. That is all changing now that their kids all want to live in urban areas. When gas hits $5 a gallon it will all reverse.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Who assigned those percentages?
What meaning do they have?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
H
NYC didn't use busing for integration purposes as far as I know

Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Who assigned those percentages?
What meaning do they have?
Read the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC didn't use busing for integration purposes as far as I know
I'm pretty sure they did, though I'm not sure to what extent. Back in the late 1960s, my dad lived in the Sheepshead Bay area, and he said that there were two black kids (a brother and sister) were bused in from around Church Avenue.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Robert Moses' expressways hurt the Bronx pretty bad. Particularly the Cross-Bronx which ripped the guts out of a number of neighborhoods.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
IMO.

You have people who have lost hope in themselves and have embraced the ghetto/thug lifestyles.Also, some of the natives of the Bronx like to keep the ghetto/thug culture in full effect since it brings authenticity to their "hood."

You have illegal and legal immigrants who don't bother to assimilate to the USA culture. (ie; learn English, get an education, etc)

Landlords who rent to anyone who can pay and don't search for quality tenants. Also, section 8 needs to be revised. There are a lot of cheaters/scammers that are using this system when they shouldn't.

NYC city only develops in the "City" (columbia university south to battery park). All other areas are own their own. Gentrification is occurring in Harlem, Washington Heights, and the Bronx since the city doesn't have any space. The rents in these places will go up overtime. It will be interesting to see these places in 15 to 30 years.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
The percentages are what the individual contributers believe it to be. Not just those catagories, but any others that are germane to this thread.

Please keep it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City