Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I walked along Webster Avenue from Fordham Road to Bedford Park and noticed that there were several Mexican restaurants and bodegas that sold Mexican products. Has this area become predominantly Mexican recently?

As I was walking I also thought that that area (closer to the Fordham metro north station) would be a great location for a boutique hotel. Given the location near the Botanical Gardens, Bronx Zoo, Fordham University, Little Italy and the Fordham Corridor, I think there would be business to support a hotel. In addition, with the Fordham and Botanical Gardens metro north stops providing access to GCT in 20 minutes, I think a lot of European and Asian tourists who are looking for lower priced accomodations in NYC would take rooms there. I read recently that that area has been rezoned allowing such investment. Just my thoughts while walking through the hood.
Yes, Webster Ave between Fordham Rd and 233rd street in Woodlawn has been rezoned for apartment buildings with stores on the bottom. The bad news is the buildings going up are "affordable housing" type of buildings. If you know anything about so called "affordable housing" buildings, they cater to low income, subsidized tenants. Destitutes who are on Section 8, welfare, shelter people will be living there. Personally I think the rezoning will ruin the area by attracting more low income people and making the area more densely populated with destitutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
no i saw that article on the Marriot this past summer in fact it got my attention cause it's near the Montefiore Cancer Center where i go for follow ups (Im cancer free now and i hope it stays that way)

but the Bedford/Webster proposed hotel in the Norwood news, , i remember there being talk about fear of it being used for hot sheet purposes, or how it may not be worth putting in due to the drabness of the neighborhood

Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Search Results proposed hotel on webster avenue : Norwood News

scroll down to article on 3/19/09 about the Comfort Inn

Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM

in fact there are several more articles about a hotel on Webster Ave under that one from 07 and 06 as well

Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
no i saw that article on the Marriot this past summer in fact it got my attention cause it's near the Montefiore Cancer Center where i go for follow ups (Im cancer free now and i hope it stays that way)

but the Bedford/Webster proposed hotel in the Norwood news, , i remember there being talk about fear of it being used for hot sheet purposes, or how it may not be worth putting in due to the drabness of the neighborhood

Hey, sincerely, I hope you stay healthy and keep the big C away. Happy Holidays and good health to you.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes, Webster Ave between Fordham Rd and 233rd street in Woodlawn has been rezoned for apartment buildings with stores on the bottom. The bad news is the buildings going up are "affordable housing" type of buildings. If you know anything about so called "affordable housing" buildings, they cater to low income, subsidized tenants. Destitutes who are on Section 8, welfare, shelter people will be living there. Personally I think the rezoning will ruin the area by attracting more low income people and making the area more densely populated with destitutes.

I concur. We need to let the market make a decision. Desginated low income discriminates against those lower middle class who want to buy in a nice area, but see their money wasted due to low lifes getting a free ride. Mind you, there are many good families in Section 8, but they seem to be always outweighed by the hoods and criminals who take over the area.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post

I concur. We need to let the market make a decision. Desginated low income discriminates against those lower middle class who want to buy in a nice area, but see their money wasted due to low lifes getting a free ride. Mind you, there are many good families in Section 8, but they seem to be always outweighed by the hoods and criminals who take over the area.

Yes sir. Absolutely correct. The so called "affordable housing" brings in the riff-raff to the neighborhood. This can have an adverse effect on the community. Instead of building affordable housing, why not the units in coops and sell each unit for about 100k? That way, you have owners in the neighborhood as oppose to renters who don't give a ish about the neighborhood. Just say.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Ownership is the ticket. What you work hard for has value, what is given is often less valued. If the city gives a break to section 8 housing and they get a discount, then the folks who don't get that discount should get a commensurate reduction in property taxes.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Ownership is the ticket. What you work hard for has value, what is given is often less valued. If the city gives a break to section 8 housing and they get a discount, then the folks who don't get that discount should get a commensurate reduction in property taxes.
I agree!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM

579 posts, read 945,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Search Results proposed hotel on webster avenue : Norwood News

scroll down to article on 3/19/09 about the Comfort Inn
I walked by the site mentioned in the article and it looks like the buildings were emptied but no construction ever took place. Have you or anyone heard anything further on whether this project is still proceeding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City