Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Our experiences are different then...I always see them when I'm on that stretch of Fulton Street late at night...and I'm aware where the poster lives, I figured it was worth mentioning since the poster might walk over there, unless they're just going to the train from their house without doing any shopping or anything in the vicinity.... they might want to walk around u know
The area where I see unsavory characters late night is at Nostrand & Fulton. There are lots of people loitering around that subway stop. Also Bedford at Atlantic houses a men's shelter in the armory but I've not seen men hanging out there late- I assume they are required in by a certain hour. Though when I was driving by there the other night there were some cop cars & someone was getting in trouble for something. West of Franklin to Washington has a few popular bars and restaurants (Buka being one of my favorites). Never felt uncomfortable going to or from them. If anything, the Nostrand area of Fulton is where I would advise more caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
For me, the area is pretty much fine. It is a transitional neighborhood of sorts, but it's pretty far down the transition and the short walk from your place to the station is really short. You're also close to the incredible A&A Bakes & Doubles which makes for a fantastic breakfast. Basically, the area you're in close to the stations is usually full of people at almost all times of day and so there's not too much to worry about. Plus, Bedford today is substantially more cleaned up than it was five years ago when I was living there. Now, if the recession goes further and gets much worse for NYC, I think it'd be an issue, but it's been about four years of pretty meagre economic performance and the area there seems to have only gotten better though at a slower pace. I'd only be nervous if I've never lived in an urban environment before.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Walk 10 blocks from the subway and then back by a different route on a Saturday night with nice weather at perhaps 10PM. You will have your answer loud and clear.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Walk 10 blocks from the subway and then back by a different route on a Saturday night with nice weather at perhaps 10PM. You will have your answer loud and clear.
This is a good thing to do. When I rented in sunset park I did this but the best test, IMO, is during summer. same day and time.
The hood gets really hot during the summer months and I'm not talking temperature-wise. Sidewalk bbq's and "fire works" (not for the 4th) are quite common
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City