Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,454 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I area about to move into an apt on Brevoort place (off of Bedford ave, one block south of fulton) in bedstuy, and I'm hearing all this awful stuff about safety in the area, but then other ppl tell me it's fine. Its a beautiful brownstone apt and we would love to take it, but im concerned about walking back home alone from the subway at night. Don't know what to do, please reply if you know that area! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,784,507 times
This is why city-data and yet even more bias websites that rent to transplants such as yourself are completely useless and idiotic to use when seeking advice. If you want real advice, why don't you visit the area you haven't seemed to step one foot in and ask the people on the block you live on whether you feel it is safe or not... If you are too terrified to even ask the neighbors you will be living next to for the forseeable future how the neighborhood is then this should be a dead giveaway to make your decision... I've come to realize however when it comes to transplants/hipsters making decisions on neighborhoods... common sense generally tends to get tossed out the window... 95% of you will hear what you want to hear regardless of what the answers tell you...

Last edited by anon1; 11-24-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,312,031 times
It's fine

Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,184,662 times
Not an area I'd be excited to live in. However I don't care enough about Brooklyn (N. Brooklyn in particular) to sacrifice QOL issues in order to.......live in Brooklyn.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,615,283 times
You will be ok. Lots of Transplants in that area and they seem to do fine. Just be more aware of your surroundings when you get home late at night than lets say walking in Midtown Manhattan where there are more people walking around.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
The fact that you even have to ask should give you your answer...with that being said it's still the hood, even though it has gentrified somewhat. That strip of Fulton Street (from about Washington Avenue to Franklin Avenue) has an abundance of homeless drug users that wander the street late at night, and it's always been like that, not sure why.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,312,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The fact that you even have to ask should give you your answer...with that being said it's still the hood, even though it has gentrified somewhat. That strip of Fulton Street (from about Washington Avenue to Franklin Avenue) has an abundance of homeless drug users that wander the street late at night, and it's always been like that, not sure why.
I have not any "abundance of homeless or drug users" on that stretch of Fulton and this poster is living east of Franklin

Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,454 times
Thanks everybody for your comments. I really appreciate it. We still haven't made our decision... maybe it takes walking around there at night a little more and seeing how it feels.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I have not any "abundance of homeless or drug users" on that stretch of Fulton and this poster is living east of Franklin
Our experiences are different then...I always see them when I'm on that stretch of Fulton Street late at night...and I'm aware where the poster lives, I figured it was worth mentioning since the poster might walk over there, unless they're just going to the train from their house without doing any shopping or anything in the vicinity.... they might want to walk around u know

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,751,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
This is why city-data and yet even more bias websites that rent to transplants such as yourself are completely useless and idiotic to use when seeking advice. If you want real advice, why don't you visit the area you haven't seemed to step one foot in and ask the people on the block you live on whether you feel it is safe or not... If you are too terrified to even ask the neighbors you will be living next to for the forseeable future how the neighborhood is then this should be a dead giveaway to make your decision... I've come to realize however when it comes to transplants/hipsters making decisions on neighborhoods... common sense generally tends to get tossed out the window... 95% of you will hear what you want to hear regardless of what the answers tell you...
Exactly. But do keep in mind you can get hit by a car, robbed or a fire in a building at your place of work, going to work having dinner. So safe is really all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City