Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM

167 posts, read 306,123 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I noticed a lot of people around me don't last in NYC very long.

I'm thinking maybe 3 months. I quite like the advantage of it, because my flings can be so finite. But after noticing the pattern, the turnover rate, I was beginning to wonder

is 3 months generally the norm?

like for aspiring models, artists, and others

what are your observations fellow new yorkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You mean DIE, Break Up, Give up on Career, Move Out, Remain Hopeful?
What do you mean by "last?"

Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
It should be fairly simple to understand... I'm pretty sure he's talking about those that came to this city looking for opportunities they supposedly "couldn't find anywhere else" and then ended up realizing this city wasn't worth it...

To answer the OP's question... From what I see mainly from the areas nearby to me the biggest issue isn't money and surviving in this city because many transplants simply look for other transplants to live with and generally have like 3 or 4 in an apartment each paying 500 or whatever for a crappy apt. in East Williamsburg/Southside/Bushwick... It's why the rent near the borderlines of all those areas are so expensive despite the crime that takes place around there... That being said, the biggest issue for them is the one that I just mentioned... Though you will never hear that from a transplant currently living in the area... Certain parts of Bushwick I've seen seem to be like a revolving door for these people and while others decide to move within the city to the next "raw edgy scene" like Mott Haven or the Grand Concourse area, it is true as well that many move back home to their comfy suburban homes to live with their parents again because they couldn't take the negatives that NYC had to offer...

But of course though, the ones that mention these negatives for the future NYC hopefuls are in the wrong for stating these things... smh

Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I think I may have morphed into a native. When I read this, I realized I am never in the position of meeting brand new transplant hopefuls anymore.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
It should be fairly simple to understand... I'm pretty sure he's talking about those that came to this city looking for opportunities they supposedly "couldn't find anywhere else" and then ended up realizing this city wasn't worth it...
So then you take the OP's use of the word "last" to mean the amount of time until the average newcomer gives up hope of success?
Believe me, that isn't "fairly simple to understand" from the OP at all and I'm not sure that's what was meant. My best guess is "last" means the amount of time til the person moves out of the City. But that is only a guess.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So then you take the OP's use of the word "last" to mean the amount of time until the average newcomer gives up hope of success?
Believe me, that isn't "fairly simple to understand" from the OP at all and I'm not sure that's what was meant. My best guess is "last" means the amount of time til the person moves out of the City. But that is only a guess.
What is the difference?

Are you implying that people move to NYC, have success, then choose to leave, all in three months??!!

What is the logic for that?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You mean DIE, Break Up, Give up on Career, Move Out, Remain Hopeful?
What do you mean by "last?"
I mean, move out due to lack of fame, fortunes, grandeur, success, marketability, etc.

Where are you from by the way?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

To answer the OP's question... From what I see mainly from the areas nearby to me the biggest issue isn't money and surviving in this city because many transplants simply look for other transplants to live with and generally have like 3 or 4 in an apartment each paying 500 or whatever for a crappy apt. in East Williamsburg/Southside/Bushwick... It's why the rent near the borderlines of all those areas are so expensive despite the crime that takes place around there... That being said, the biggest issue for them is the one that I just mentioned... Though you will never hear that from a transplant currently living in the area... Certain parts of Bushwick I've seen seem to be like a revolving door for these people and while others decide to move within the city to the next "raw edgy scene" like Mott Haven or the Grand Concourse area, it is true as well that many move back home to their comfy suburban homes to live with their parents again because they couldn't take the negatives that NYC had to offer...

But of course though, the ones that mention these negatives for the future NYC hopefuls are in the wrong for stating these things... smh
okay, well I've heard many various conflicting reasons explaining why transplants keep the rent high in Williamsburg

but what time frame does this happen in, its an open ended discussion, just wondering your observations or opinion

Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Most of my friends are natives or ppl who have lived here for years so I wouldn't know

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
I don't think you can just pin a single number across the hundreds of thousands of people that move here. Some will make it, some (maybe most) won't, it's that simple.

I've been here for a couple of years (and Westchester for 3 years before here), and am doing better than I would have ever thought. I've known some people that are back home within a few months.

But hey, if you have the safety net of being able to pick up and move back home with no major losses if things don't work out here, then I say go for it. YOLO, as the kids say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City