Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,727,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The working demographic of Breezy is always portrayed as middle class. So I wanted to throw exact numbers in there for anybody that was wondering.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

If anyone is wondering, I'm going to have lunch soon. Just want to set the record straight, you know...if anyone was wondering.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM

33,759 posts, read 46,990,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

If anyone is wondering, I'm going to have lunch soon. Just want to set the record straight, you know...if anyone was wondering.
snarkiness is sooo attractive

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,368,762 times
good thing they're not asking you personally for the money then.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,222,894 times
Quote:
It wasn't the article per se that had everyone flipping out. What riled everyone up is when Sobro said they should just be washed away, then availableusername said that they should receive some kind of help from outside. then some people (myself included) said that since their private, they shouldn't receive any kind of help. If they get help from FEMA then cool. But other than that I feel they shouldn't get anything else.

And to set the record straight the median income of breezy point (zip code 11697) is around $80,000 - $90,000, according to City-Data. So whether you want to classify that as upper or middle income, you can argue about that. But they're definitely not scrounging for scraps in a dumpster.
Exactly! Here's an interesting article from the NY Times:

Living in Breezy Point, Queens - Beach Living, 22 Miles From Manhattan
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/re...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
The average home in Breezy Point costs $750,000; that buys a year-round contemporary with three bedrooms, two baths and an outdoor shower, brokers said.

The higher-end properties, listed for up to $1.5 million, are generally near Rockaway Inlet and have sweeping waterfront views.
Humble, modestly paid civil servants ... in $750,000 - $1.5M homes! SOMETHING doesn't add up here.

There are some cheaper homes, prices more "befitting" the modest civil servants, but they are NON-WINTERIZED (for summer use only) and tiny:

Quote:
Slightly less expensive properties can be found in Roxbury, where $300,000 might buy a nonwinterized cottage on a 1,000-square-foot lot.
Demographics:

Quote:
If the architecture is diverse, the population is not: Breezy Point is 99 percent white, according to the last census. The main ethnic group is Irish, at 53 percent, followed by Italian, with 15 percent, and German, 7 percent.
How many communities in NYC are "99% white" and how do they stay that way in the 21st century? I wonder if there's anywhere else in the country in the 21st century that's 68% Irish and Italian.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
good thing they're not asking you personally for the money then.
They would be stupid to ask me for the money because I don't have it anyway. Whatever. For such a nice private community, some people got burglarized by their own neighbors. If they find out who did it they can punish them by their own "private land" rules.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
snarkiness is sooo attractive
While we're making judgements, how would you characterize someone who deems an entire community racist when they've had zero interaction with anyone from that community?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
While we're making judgements, how would you characterize someone who deems an entire community racist when they've had zero interaction with anyone from that community?
I don't care. Call me what you want. If you can change my opinion on it, then you're more than welcome to do so. I'm listening.

From my personal experience living out here (and I only speak with a humbling 31 years of experience living out here) majority of the Irish that live west of Beach 90th Street have the same racist attitude. But change the world. Start with me. I'm listening.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Exactly! Here's an interesting article from the NY Times:

Living in Breezy Point, Queens - Beach Living, 22 Miles From Manhattan
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/re...anted=all&_r=0

Humble, modestly paid civil servants ... in $750,000 - $1.5M homes! SOMETHING doesn't add up here.
Great article! Especially considering it's from the summer of 2008. But I seem to recall some big economic event taking place in the fall of that year.
Quote:
There are some cheaper homes, prices more "befitting" the modest civil servants, but they are NON-WINTERIZED (for summer use only) and tiny:
MANY of the bungalows have been winterized for years.

Quote:
How many communities in NYC are "99% white" and how do they stay that way in the 21st century? I wonder if there's anywhere else in the country in the 21st century that's 68% Irish and Italian.
Nenponsit has to be at least 95%, if not higher, although I'm not sure you can get a breakdown for just that neighborhood. Same with Belle Harbor. Only a few miles to the east though you have Hewlett Harbor clocking in at 95% white. How do they pull that off? And they're not even private? What's going on out there? lol...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,222,894 times
Quote:
Great article! Especially considering it's from the summer of 2008. But I seem to recall some big economic event taking place in the fall of that year.

MANY of the bungalows have been winterized for years.

Nenponsit has to be at least 95%, if not higher, although I'm not sure you can get a breakdown for just that neighborhood. Same with Belle Harbor. Only a few miles to the east though you have Hewlett Harbor clocking in at 95% white. How do they pull that off? And they're not even private? What's going on out there? lol...
Uh, no kidding.

Yeah those are the ones that cost $750K and up.

The article was talking about "affordable" housing. In Breezy Point, it's $300K but that only gets you a NON-WINTERIZED cottage.

Ah the humble civil servants we should all feel sorry for.

The difference between places like Breezy Point and Neponsit, Belle Harbor and Hewlett Harbor is that there are no barriers erected to ensure de facto segregation in the latter three. People of color are ABLE to with nobody keeping them out for bogus reasons (no "letters of recommendations" needed) if they choose to live in those places.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Uh, no kidding.

Yeah those are the ones that cost $750K and up.

The article was talking about "affordable" housing. In Breezy Point, it's $300K but that only gets you a NON-WINTERIZED cottage.
trust me, there are plenty of winterized bungalows in that range these days. And you won't find a single bungalow, unless it's oceanfront or bayfront, costing 750k these days. Maybe during that brief stretch in the mid 2000s during the boom, but that's about it.

Quote:
the difference between places like Breezy Point and Neponsit, Belle Harbor and Hewlett Harbor is that there is no barriers erected to ensure de facto segregation in the latter three. People of color are ABLE if they choose to live in those places.
b-b-b-but why have those areas remained so white if there aren't any barriers? Could it be that those areas simply don't appeal to non-whites for a wide variety of reasons? Do yourself a favor and ponder that for a second. And then think about why Breezy became private in the first place (discussed earlier in the thread). It certainly wasn't done so to keep out the neighbors. After all, it's bordered by beach clubs and a national park...and the closest subway line is miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City