Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
This story made me happy at first, but I felt a bit depressed by the time I finished it. It saddened me that people are so amazed by this simple act of kindness. Where I live, greater acts of generosity are so commonplace that this wouldn't have been a bleep on the radar. The fact that this is such an (apparently) unusual occurrence in NYC seems to be a sad commentary on the state of humanity in that area.
where do you live?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM

437 posts, read 925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where do you live?
West Texas. Small town.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
this never ever ever happens

Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This was the first story on the news I read on my smartphone upon getting up. It was great to see. Of course, some people will still sneer that its set up, the officer was posing etc. We have a man doing extra to honor the oath he took for his job, yet people can not even entertain this fact. Would rather focus on the negative. Nothing's every good enough for you is it? Fine, just walk around like that. Focus on past negative things. Don't forget the oat bran and Xanax. Enjoy.

That officer did a very kind thing.
Tried to rep ya, but I have to cat around a bit before I can do that again, fellow Brooklynite.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this never ever ever happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Notice how the officer had no idea that there was someone watching with a camera? Cops do good deeds. They do bad as well. The bad sh1t gets reported. The good does not...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Notice how the officer had no idea that there was someone watching with a camera? Cops do good deeds. They do bad as well. The bad sh1t gets reported. The good does not...
Just so. Tried to rep ya, but...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
When you grow up, have some real skin in the game (ie, responsible job, nice home, new car), you will appreciate the efforts they make to keep the riff-raff down.
Go ahead, make me laugh again!

Last edited by Hopes; 11-29-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
This story made me happy at first, but I felt a bit depressed by the time I finished it. It saddened me that people are so amazed by this simple act of kindness. Where I live, greater acts of generosity are so commonplace that this wouldn't have been a bleep on the radar. The fact that this is such an (apparently) unusual occurrence in NYC seems to be a sad commentary on the state of humanity in that area.
It's ridiculous to compare NYC to a small west Texas town.

But if it makes you feel better to get all holier-than-thou about it and feel like we have no humanity, well, then go for it. There, that was my act of charity for the day.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 AM

32 posts, read 38,087 times
Originally Posted by Kefir King
"I wonder how much the cop was paid to pose for this picture."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
I don't think the homeless man cares.

You read my mind, Matt...

Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Here's a video from last year, where a San Diego officer bought cookies for a young kid who didn't have the money for them. A few minutes later, some complete piece of sh1t drove up next to the officer & shot him, for no reason:

San Diego Officer's Final Act of Kindness - YouTube

SDPD Officer Dies After Being Shot | NBC 7 San Diego

Recordings from police dispatcher in San Diego officer's shooting - Off. Jeremy Henwood - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City