Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM

10 posts, read 26,693 times

Advertisements

Shoeless Man in Viral Photo Not Homeless: Officials | NBC New York

^--Article with video at the link. I'll just post some snippets below. I looked through the first couple of pages and didn't see any threads mentioning this.

Quote:
Jeffrey Hillman, the barefoot recipient of boots from an NYPD officer last month, has an apartment in the Bronx, officials told the News 4 I-Team.

“He does have stable housing,” said Seth Diamond, New York City's homeless services commissioner. “We’ve worked with Mr. Hillman for years.”
Quote:
Hillman used to be homeless, but entered shelter in 2009 before moving into an apartment secured by Veterans Affairs in 2011, city officials said. He pays his rent using a lifetime voucher for homeless veterans and his Social Security income.
Quote:
“I understand why it could be frustrating for New Yorkers,” Diamond said. “They see a person in this situation and they think no one has been helping. Outreach teams continue to try to work with him, but he has a history of turning down services.

Welp. This just reaffirms my decision to never give panhandlers anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Still shows the good character that a lot of people have ingrained in them. Including, yes City-Data, city cops. That's really all that needed to be taken from this and it hasn't changed.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM

32 posts, read 38,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Still shows the good character that a lot of people have ingrained in them. Including, yes City-Data, city cops. That's really all that needed to be taken from this and it hasn't changed.
Yeah I have to agree. I'm sure that cop didn't know the guy wasn't homeless, so his heart was in the same place.

As far as the homeless guy, well...I really don't know what to say to that. I have given money to street people before, and have I questioned their actual situation? Yes, but that's not up to me to determine. If God puts it on my heart to give, I give. It may be naive of me, but oh well.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 AM

139 posts, read 408,777 times
I thought this was a nypd PR stint to show their concern and compassion . since they have a rep. for arresting them when they sleep in the winter near churches.

I no longer help homeless. I got burnt by one when he used and abused me after I was so generous . He drove me mental and scammed me out of money. Than he had the nerve to tell me that is what most homeless people do. He also told me that many of them in NYC make over $500 a day begging for money in wealthy areas or wall street area.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
People assumed he was homeless because he was without shoes and looked it. If the cop had asked his full name and run him, chances are he would have found out the guys current address. I doubt he ran him, as he was interested in helping him not harassing him. He most liking has some mental health problems and possibly some addiction problems as well. Being cautious of people from helping organizations is pretty normal for those with mental health issues. Nothing really changes in my mind, the cop went out of his way for this guy, the guy still does need some help.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
I thought this was a nypd PR stint to show their concern and compassion . since they have a rep. for arresting them when they sleep in the winter near churches.

I no longer help homeless. I got burnt by one when he used and abused me after I was so generous . He drove me mental and scammed me out of money. Than he had the nerve to tell me that is what most homeless people do. He also told me that many of them in NYC make over $500 a day begging for money in wealthy areas or wall street area.

Your post is so full of fxck, that even Jackie Chan doesn't have words...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
The take away here is that in NYC, if you are homeless it is really because you want to be or are mentally disturbed. There are city services to meet all of your needs, including food and housing, as the city is required by law to provide you housing you can afford for life.

Secondly, the NYPD should have a full time marketing department to "humanize" the NYPD in just this manner. They should be showing the softer side of the NYPD, and all the good things the NYPD do that go unnoticed on a daily basis. Really the only time you hear about the NYPD is when they are raping someone, shooting someone, or committing some sort of crime and that should change.

I still believe the NYPD is completely dysfunctional, some of their policies are consitiutionally illegal (Stop & Frisk) and serve in many cases to simply incarcerate as many people as possible regardless. They have an "us vs them" mentality, and a toxic culture of covering for eachother even when crimes are committed...and this is all promoted and encouraged from the top: RAY KELLY.

Replace this old school beat cop who probably burned every bridge and threw everyone under the bus to make it to this position, and get someone who will repurpose the NYPD to work with the community, encourage positive interaction with the community (how many times does a cop actually talk to a resident along their patrol to ask them their opinion, what is going on in the community, any concerns, etc? That would be never...at least it seems that way.), and terminate the Stop & Frisk policy, as well as the purposeful incarceration tactics.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Once they said Veterans Affairs was involved, it's clear this man is mentally ill. It's sad, but at least he has a home to go, unlike other vets in his same situation.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
And why did this make worldwide news?

One reason only, any cop doing something worthwhile for anyone is a RARITY.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
... as the city is required by law to provide you housing you can afford for life.
You just refuse to listen to anything that doesn't fit what you believe. Multiple people have debunked this COMPLETE MYTH too many times.

This post isn't for Sobroguy, because that would be pointless:

To anyone who might be fooled by his words, NYC is NOT required to provide housing FOR LIFE to ANYONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City