U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 22,770 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC and want to make sure I will make it out there. I have a budget of 7000 a month. Granted it will need to support myself, husband, elderly grandmother that lives with us and our two dogs. That is how much we make currently which I am assuming will go up when we move out there. I want to find out where would be a good place to live that is safe and affordable. A safe area for my grandmother with elevator due to her age. Also, I need to be close to parks or somewhere that has a some what backyard for my dogs. I currently live in a nice suburb of Dallas, with a house that is 2000 square feet and a half and acre for the dogs. I know that it will change when we move to the city but I want to move. Would it be better to look for a place in NJ and commute to NYC. We thought of buying a house in Madison or somewhere close to commute. I just need some help. I have my own business in Texas which will relocate as well as working in production and acting on the side. I travel to NYC and LA often since I do freelance production. I just want to be closer to NYC so that I can spend more time and get more jobs. Please let me know if you have any help or ideas for us. We looked at moving to LA but decided we would rather fly out to LA. We like the idea of getting rid of our multiple vehicles and only keeping one. As well as all the expenses that come with having cars and everything else. Plus we love to walk and take the subway. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,274,574 times
How much of that 7K a month can you allot to housing? NJ or Long Island might be a possibility, or maybe some areas of Brooklyn or Queens. I think the Queens housing market might be a little "softer" right now than the five boroughs--maybe NJ and LI as well, though Queens might be an easier commute to Manhattan. I'm assuming of course that you want to purchase a house. There are other options, but your budget and cost of living will determine a lot of this.

Coops may also be an option, since they have many amenities included with the maintenance, but probably no backyard space (though again, there may be some garden apt developments that will have more private green space, dunno). Some city neighborhoods have dog runs in the local parks.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Sorry, meant to say that the outer borough housing market (everything outside of Manhattan) , as well as Long Island and other metro areas, might be more of a buyer's market now. NYC proper has been more immune to this trend.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,767,479 times
Renting will be more difficult with two dogs. Are you planning to buy? What's your budget for buying? I know you've got $7000/month, but what can you afford to buy? How much of a commute are you willing to tolerate?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:52 PM

I make 7000 currently but will probably be making close to 9 or 10K after the move. I don't want to spend more that 3500-4000 a month on rent. I would like to buy, but thought about renting until we figure out where we want to settle down. We thought about living in NJ and commuting into NYC. There are many homes that are around the same price as the home we currently live in. I just didn't know if it would be possible to find a place within NYC. I also thought about Westchester county and commuting. I have an aunt that owns a lovely home in Mount Vernon. I don't know about the commuting. I don't really want to drive into NYC everyday, I would rather take a subway or train into work. What would you suggest? I do have two dogs but they are well behaved and great animals. They just need some space to have fun and run around. I would like them to enjoy their life and not be tied down to an apartment building all the time.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,292,758 times
Rent in Manhattan is outrageous, try renting in NJ or Queens for at least 6 months, I'm sure that after 6 months you and your family will get a "feel" for what is right for you. NJ home prices are out of sight, and the taxes NJ residents pay is a "sin". Your one of those lucky people who can afford several thousand to pay for rent. Living in NY is expensive, you might be able to commute from outside the city. Good luck on your search.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Would it be better to live in NY and commute or live in NJ? Well, I live in a state that does not have state income tax so I am not used to that! What is the difference between NY and NJ and their state income tax?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM

You might want to rent a townhouse/condo or house. There are houses to be rented, I'm sure, in some parts of the city and the 'burbs.

I think someone said it all evens out between NY and NJ taxes, more or less?

You might like Jersey City or Hoboken (in NJ)--the latter is more pricey though and closer to the city, I think, but both are shortish commutes. I think you'll have a decent array of choices...there are quite a few.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,767,479 times
Renting a townhouse in Manhattan will run at LEAST $10,000/month. Not including electricity, phone, cable TV, etc.

I would suggest that you try Westchester. You can commute in by train, easily and it'll be easier to find a place that will take your dogs. And if you're MAKING $7000/month, you're not going to be bringing anything like that home.

There's not much difference in NJ and NY state income taxes. But it all depends on where your job is: if it's on the West side, NJ is easier. If it's on the East side, Westchester and Connecticut would be easier (you get into a different train station).

Also, if you want to live in Manhattan, get rid of the car. It's costly to park (at LEAST $400/month) and insurance is also pricey.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM

But of course...I think she was looking for something outside Manhattan. You'd have to be very well off to afford a Manhattan townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: