Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Are you and idiot?

Basing conclusions form comments in this forum? That is simply stupid!

In any event, Sobro was speaking alternately about the general circumstance of NYC landlords, the upon his personal circumstance as a rental property owner.

Nothing confusing about his comments. Only your unnecessary ignorance and obstinance!

Let me quickly educate the total ignorant:

Simply put, rent controlled/stabilized tenants, by law, are required to be offered lease renewals. In addition, their children and immediate family members living in the apartment have a legal right to occupy the apartment upon the death of the leaseholder.

In market rate non stabilized/controlled apartments, landlords are NOT required to renew tenancies. Depending upon circumstance tenancies can be terminated at the end of the leae term, or upon 30 days notice.

That is the basic, but there is a VERY GREAT DEAL MORE to the L&T laws of this city and state.

If you do not know the above, then you are either a non renter or a dimwit!!!

Oh, and also jfyi, there is nowhere in the USA where the Landlord Tenant laws are more onerous to the landlord. In the overwhelming majority of States, it is a VERY simple issue to evict a tenant. In most cases, the LL can dump a tenant's possessions onto the street. Not so in NYC, where the LL is required by law to store a tenant's belongings at the LLMs expense.

So, after not receiving rent (while paying for heat, water and lights), going through the eviction proceeding (paying for attorneys and court fees), after winning an eviction (again more fees and paying for a Marshal), the LL MUST pay again to keep the non paying tenant's belongings!!

In other states, LL's don't have to pay for Marshalls, Sheriffs, nor all the fees, they simply call the police to effect eviction.

So, Marilyn and Lita, you really need to do a LOT of homework, as you do not know what you are talking about. Your butt cheeks are flapping in the wind.

I speak from professional knowledge and experience as both a former LL and L&T professional. I have rented, evicted and defended more tenants than you all can ever imagine. I have been involved with property ownership since a child helping my father.

You people appear to speak from the fantasies of your minds.
Here is the post I was asking the question about with the statement bolded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Marilyn are you currently or have you ever been a LL in NYC? If not, that is probably why you don't understand why a LL requires paystubs, bank statements, W-2s, tax returns etc...because of people like Kefir who simply lie and defraud. Just because I am not a bank does not mean you are not defrauding me with bogus pay stubs.

Here are some scenarios:

1. Tenant A: Someone can be making $300K per year, and have the paystubs to verify income. Great! Sounds like a great tenant and easily able to pay $2,500 for a 1 bedroom. Except, when you pull the credit report his score is 450 because he doesn't pay his bills = BAD TENANT

2. Tenant B: Also making $300K per year, however when you look at the bank statement you see there is $40 in there for the past 2 months. WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING? If this person gets laid off tomorrow, it takes 6+ months to evict and he has $40 in his bank account = BAD TENANT.

And the main issue with the idea that you are "just renting the place" is that in NYC U ARE NOT JUST RENTING A PLACE. You are theoretically a lifetime commitment + future generations in some cases. The tenant protections are like no other place in the country, which is why the requirements are like no other place in the country. When you understand that fact, and then realize in a BEST case scenario it takes 6+ months to evict a tenant, and worse case several years, you will then understand why LLs require all those things that seem so crazy for any other city.

As soon as renting in this city has the same tenant rights, or lackthereof, as every other city, only then will you see the requirements be like every other city. Until then, expect requirements to get more stringent, not less so, as competition for apts is increasing, not decreasing, and rents continue to escalate.
My question was why is he saying that if it is not true of non-rent controlled and non-stabilized apartments? (As you mentioned in your post.) His statement acts like this is true for every apartment in NYC when it is NOT.

Perhaps YOU are the one who needs a course in reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
So, Marilyn and Lita, you really need to do a LOT of homework, as you do not know what you are talking about. Your butt cheeks are flapping in the wind.
MY butt cheeks don't "flap".

I'll have you know that I could have been a contender in the Miss Brazil Bumbum contest.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,774 times
I have a few times cause having 5 children and a few pets, some landlords don't accept it. Right now have a landlord who does accept pets and 2 of my kids.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluediamond57 View Post
I have a few times cause having 5 children and a few pets, some landlords don't accept it. Right now have a landlord who does accept pets and 2 of my kids.
Well, then where do you hide the other 3 kids? Closet?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
MY butt cheeks don't "flap".

I'll have you know that I could have been a contender in the Miss Brazil Bumbum contest.
Very nice.
I love those contests. I'm a south american connoisseur in the matter so PM a pic and tell you how well you've done.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Very nice.
I love those contests. I'm a south american connoisseur in the matter so PM a pic and tell you how well you've done.
Nope! LOL!

You'll just have to take my word for it.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why would you sign(become legally responsible) a lease for someone,even a relative,who has a history of financial irresponsibility ? Asking for trouble.
I know its trouble, but its for my sister. She raised me since I was a child after my parents left all 5 of us. Trust me I don't want to, but feel obligated to do it. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
When a landlord honestly opens his books to you, then perhaps you should feel constrained to do the same, Until then, he is entitled to NOTHING, and if he insists on information, give him whatever you choose too, whether it's true or not is up to you.

These jackasses do not have the power nor the right to demand correct information about your finances. Those who don't mind showing assets, and credit card numbers, social security numbers, and bank account statements to the likes of New York landlords are, of course, free to do so.
Perhaps tell him your mother's maiden name and favorite pet also. Show the info also to all the real estate agents you meet, and even superintendants for all the buildings you show interest in.

After all identity theft happens only to the OTHER guy.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-04-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
When a landlord honestly opens his books to you, then perhaps you should feel constrained to do the same, Until then, he is entitled to NOTHING, and if he insists on information, give him whatever you choose too, whether it's true or not is up to you.

These jackasses do not have the power nor the right to demand correct information about your finances. Those who don't mind showing assets, and credit card numbers, social security numbers, and bank account statements to the likes of New York landlords are, of course, free to do so.
Perhaps tell him your mother's maiden name and favorite pet also. Show the info also to all the real estate agents you meet, and even superintendants for all the buildings you show interest in.
I always request from my perspective tenants their W2s, their tax returns, 3 most recent bank statements, 4 most recent paystubs, and valid state photo ID /driver's license. If you don't provide these required documents, the hell with you, I don't want you as a tenant. These documents are required in order for me to get the full scope of your financial situation and determine if you can or can't afford the rent without being pay check to pay check. I would give KK the boot if he ever applied to one of my apartments.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I would give KK the boot if he ever applied to one of my apartments.

Believe me, I would never stoop so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City