Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

You don't necessarily need to speak that well to do low end jobs. I know a guy who cleans bars for a living. Has been here for many years, never learned English. But he's able to find work and apparently has supported himself cleaning up bars for all these years.

I know a couple of women who are "masseuses" who give "happy" endings to their clients (as in hand jobs). You don't need to speak or communicate that well, either. Just be good with your hands.

I know people who got bartender jobs because of their looks.

The upper middle class lifestyle is a small part of the country, and will always remain so. Many people just get whatever job that can. Its been this way, and always will be that way.

And if your only concern is that these kids to better just so they can apply for jobs at your company, THAT is NOT concern for their well being.

The world would be a better place if people focused on their own problems, which they can address or solve, instead of trying to point the finger at everyone else. You'll never fully understand what another person goes through, or why they do what they do. So you can't do anything at all to address the problems they face in their lives. That is up to them to deal with (or not deal with).

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
in times when jobs are tough even on the low end if the job has even the slightest promise of advancement , speakingl like a street urchin will most likely not get you the position if there are others who are more suitable.

yeah we all know people who mumble and have jobs but there is a reason unemployment is over 17% and more than not higher then that among those that dropped out of high school.

like i said its not my culture , not my problem but if i was from that culture and i saw the unemployment and lack of job skills and education deteriorating among my own friends and family i would be concerned .

Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
in times when jobs are tough even on the low end if the job has even the slightest promise of advancement , speakingl like a street urchin will most likely not get you the position.
That's not your concern, and again, that's for that person to deal with. He or she has every right to speak as he or she pleases.

This is supposedly a free country, right? Granted, you don't have to hire that person, but the world doesn't revolve around who you hire or who you like.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
in times when jobs are tough even on the low end if the job has even the slightest promise of advancement , speakingl like a street urchin will most likely not get you the position if there are others who are more suitable.

like i said its not my culture , not my problem but if i was from that culture and i saw the unemployment and lack of job skills and education deteriorating among my own i would be concerned .
Why should someone black be concerned about unemployment among blacks?

Its racist of you to even suggest the point.

My degree is in history. I'm not a social worker or a psychologist. Not my job, concern, or problem. For that matter, I'm not even qualified to help them in anyway whatsover.

But I am happy that I personally got job skills. Honestly, outside whatever inner circle of family or friends someone has, no one cares if you fall of the face of the earth.

The Indian guy MURDERED on the 7 train by the mad woman? Did anyone try to intervene? Absolutely not. It goes to show how people really feel. Its every person for HIMSELF!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM

racist ,really? are you kidding me. i suggest you look again at what the title of this thread is.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
racist ,really? are you kidding me. i suggest you look again at what the title of this thread is.
To imply that I should be concerned about the unemployment or career status of other blacks is racist, because the implication is I'm magically concerned or into what they're doing because we are all black.

I'm not particularly concerned. In fact, I'm not concerned at all.

If you're so concerned, get an education in social services and go work in that field. But no, its easier to mouth off on things you know nothing about.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM

i have no clue what your even babbling about.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
i have no clue what your even babbling about.
Your racist assumption that someone should be concerned about who graduates high school just because they happened to be the same "race". You know what the first three letters of assumption spell, don't you? Its what you make of your self when you ASSume too much.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM

i strongly suggest you read the article posted that this thread is about .

any way im done.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM

I read the article. So what?

I am an Ivy League graduate. I did that work for myself.

For those guys who got arrested in high school and who did not graduate, whatever, their choices and their lives, and I have mine.

Nothing to do with me, period.

And as I am neither a psychologist or social worker (nor do I have any interest in those fields at all), not even something I'm interested in or really qualified to give an opinion on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City