Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why should someone black be concerned about unemployment among blacks?

Its racist of you to even suggest the point.
Principles-wise, I am forced to agree with this. Race should not force anyone into a position by necessity.

One would hope that given a potentially shared history of oppression, people would care.
But again, mandating anyone there asserts a kind of racial essentialism to which I am vehemently, ideologically, opposed. And certainly any navigation of that reality of historical oppression would be defined by many different things, social class, gender identity, and so on. These do not represent any sort of constant across time or given place.

Black people should demand that license to behave just as badly as anyone else - and certainly I have observed an "improvement" there. If one might use that term.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well everyone is free to develop a trade here if school is not for them. the real issue seems to be when there is no school and no trade and thats the real crux of the problem.
Bingo. And lack of everyday normal role models

Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yet you fail to mention white kids who also greatly underperform Asians. Especially those from poor rural backgrounds.
Ah but they don't count though because it's not "cool" to help them out. Most public schools in rural areas (and I don't just mean "white" rural areas, I'm talking about black rural areas as well, hispanic rural areas in Texas, NM, and California also come to mind) will make NYC schools look like a trip to Harvard, but you never hear politicians talking about sending more money their way or helping them out, even though the poverty they live in is usually worse than the inner city. It's all about appearances, we have a culture that has put a label on anybody who doesn't live in a big city as being some kind of pea-brained rube that doesn't deserve a voice because they're poor (really poor, not the kind of poor you can throw entitlements at and "fix" with political grandstanding). So it's not really in any politician's best interest to do anything for them, because politically, they don't really matter.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Of course he does- but that is social networking which has nothing to do with race at all. As Im sure Black Mike from Scarsdale- grew up in Scarsdale, friends in Scarsdale, etc. is much better off with his degree than White BillyBob with a southern drawl from Alabama. I don't know where you have been living but trade, and union jobs are increasingly getting better wages as opposed to professional jobs. I graduated high school ten years ago, and the people who I graduated with making the most money are union/ tradesmen or Police officers/ Civil Servants (Parks, DPW, ETC) and not the guys who have been sitting on masters degrees for a few years now.

Given that this country remains very racially segregated it therefore means that bias against blacks exists even when not intended. They exist outside of white social networks and are less adept at developing their own than are most other groups. This might be less true for certain African immigrant groups which seems to support each other.

Middle class blacks generally do not live around whites. Even if they do one can ponder about the extent to which they actually associate with each other.

The union jobs that you mention are all public sector and those jobs are all in decline. The NYPD is replacing retirees with new hires and every where else is down sizing. And with incressing budgetary constraints this eill accelerate. What job growth that is occurring is within the private sector. Mainly in non union jobs.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Ah but they don't count though because it's not "cool" to help them out. .
Now why do white kids, especially WHITE MALES, need help when compared to other groups? They are neither recent immigrants (on the whole), nor have they suffered in recent times (post 1960) from the intense bias that blacks and other non white groups have.

Yes there is a class component, but then if a white male succeeds in beating that problem he is home free. It has been proven that black college grads (even those with advanced degrees) face more challenges than do their white peers.

The issue is not only defined by ghetto pathologies, as many will imagine, but even your Ivy League black grad who is older than 45 y/o can tell you many stories of OPEN bias that impacte dthem in the early stages of their careers..

White man have a head start as the most powerful social networks are dominated by them and so are more open to them. I very much doubt that a well dressed, articulate and well educated white male has ever heard, "you dont "look" the part", as many non whites and white females are quite familiar with"

Face it. Pretending that white men do not have a huge leg up is just not going to work. People hang out with those like them. They tend to trust those like them (blacks excluded as we have serious issues of not trusting each other).

While younger black males should have an easier go of it as younger whites are less biased, the facts are that those who make decisions about hiring and promotions tend to be older, and they still have issues when it comes to blacks moving into their world. Yes a token one or two carefully selected maybe...but this issue of "fit" especially applies to be black men. And I am refering to those with the credentials and the social skills to succeed if given a chance.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What folks have to understand is that the histories of those blacks who are descended from slavery is different than those who might have been poor in their ancestral lands, but who were people who ran their own businesses, even if it meant negotiating with some exploitative elites. They understand risk, and trust each other to pool resources. Their sense of self excludes people from outside of their communities.

This is not the experience of the Trans Atlantic black.

AAs, and Caribbean and Latin American blacks do not have a memory of what we might have been in Africa. Our values, etc were grounded in the various forms of slavery and in the post slave eras. We do not have a sense of self that excludes others. Indeed every Sunday most of us go to church to worship a man who is shown in theimage of a northern European, and many wil be quite upset if such an image was replaced by one looking like a subSaharan African.

So it is wishful thinking for any one to think that blacks a s a group will "unite" and pool their resources. Yes some people who happen to be black might do this and might succeed as a result of this, but it is not a recipe for a remedy to the plight of the black poor.

We are not and will never be community based (some will say clannish) like Asians and Jews so it is no point hoping for that day.
Asians come from many nations and they may group together, but I think it is a cultural thing, depending on which nation they came from.

I am thinking that the Nation of Islam tried to unite blacks and set them up in small businesses. Regardless of other aspects of this group, I think it really did try to set the culture in the right direction.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ america doesn't want to see a whole nation
of underpriveleged blacks succeeding within
it. that's why there is so much corruption.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM

144 posts, read 324,540 times
Blacks and Latinos... Your answer. Everything is in gods hands. No one even tries to make it. They just try to milk govt housing/programs. I lived in Mott haven far too long and know the blacks and Puerto Ricans there. Is amazing. 10 percent of the people in 10451 have college degrees. A good percentage probably went to a for profit.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
No just try hard and you will succeed Times are changing, but in America and as a minority, you must try 10x before you get acknowledged. The ones who fail don't muster up to the challenge. Yes it's unfair but thats the way it is.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
Blacks and Latinos... Your answer. Everything is in gods hands. No one even tries to make it. They just try to milk govt housing/programs. I lived in Mott haven far too long and know the blacks and Puerto Ricans there. Is amazing. 10 percent of the people in 10451 have college degrees. A good percentage probably went to a for profit.
I agree as a longtime mott haven residents with college degrees are pretty low. Most men on the corner just wanna hustle which is only s one way trip to Rikers and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City