Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Rap music and urban attire = negative connotations that should be avoided by all cost.
Not at all negative, I've known people from all walks of life to listen to rap. And there's nothing wrong with urban attire. For that matter, what is urban attire? Even here in the Bronx I've seen men wear everything from suits to sweat pants to jeans. And all these men were "urban".

Everyone should dress as they please and be themselves. No reason to pretend you're something that you're not, and if someone doesn't like you, its their problem not yours.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'd like to think that there are other fields besides retail and working class jobs for people who lack college degrees.
You should ask yourself why do you look down so much on these working class jobs that have to be done by a huge percentage of our society in order to make it function. A number of lower level office clerks don't have degrees. UPS and other shipping people don't have degrees. A lot of civil servants don't have degrees (you do have to pass certain examinations).

Speaking of civil servants, a lot of comparatively civil service employees end up getting paid better than private sector employees. Many college graduates yapping about their careers have poor benefits, little vacation, and no pensions. Even a low level city clerk has excellent benefits (they are union), pensions, and great vacation benefits. And many don't have degrees (it depends on what they do).

And believe it or not, a big percentage of the Black and Hispanic middle class in NY is civil servant.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Still trying to prove that some impoverished white person in the Appalachia is more intelligent than a middle class black living on the East Coast?

Keep on trying to delude yourself about inherent white superiority.
LMAO! He is probably one of those people that also thinks in the super white majority states they have no big penitentiaries because they don't need them when all he has to do is turn on MSNBC's show "Lock Up" and see the prisons in white majority states filled to the rafters with WHITE men and women hanging from the bars like monkeys ... drug addicts, gangbangers, robbers, child molesters, rapists, murderers and all, complete with tats on their whole bodies, including faces!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! He is probably one of those people that also thinks in the super white majority states they have no big penitentiaries because they don't need them when all he has to do is turn on MSNBC's show "Lock Up" and see the prisons in white majority states filled to the rafters with WHITE men and women hanging from the bars like monkeys ... drug addicts, gangbangers, robbers, child molesters, rapists, murderers and all, complete with tats on their whole bodies, including faces!
You have whites with tattoos all over their body in NYC, and you do indeed have white criminals here as well. Drug addicts are everywhere, ditto molestors, rapists, murderers, gangsters. NYC has had a long history of organized crime/white gangsters. And look at all the white collar crime on Wall Street.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have whites with tattoos all over their body in NYC, and you do indeed have white criminals here as well. Drug addicts are everywhere, ditto molestors, rapists, murderers, gangsters. NYC has had a long history of organized crime/white gangsters. And look at all the white collar crime on Wall Street.
That's for sure! The majority white bank executives who caused the financial crisis and subsequent government bank bailouts from our tax money should have gotten life in prison, not their bonuses as usual! Any other country I bet they would go to jail or maybe even be executed in more extreme countries (China?). And please don't forget Washington DC as the capitol of white white collar crime! People love to scream about "welfare queens" but the biggest welfare goes to corporations who give bribes (oops campaign contributions) to politicians. They beat out impoverished mothers and kids by trillions in government handouts. It's a sick system.

PS: I wasn't saying NY has no white criminals or dirtbags; I was commenting on that guy mps0909's delusional "whites are proven as totally superior to latinos and blacks" postings. Someone like that would believe there would be no need for big prisons in a state that is almost totally white, when the truth is that is not the case.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:25 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
You should ask yourself why do you look down so much on these working class jobs that have to be done by a huge percentage of our society in order to make it function. A number of lower level office clerks don't have degrees. UPS and other shipping people don't have degrees. A lot of civil servants don't have degrees (you do have to pass certain examinations).

Speaking of civil servants, a lot of comparatively civil service employees end up getting paid better than private sector employees. Many college graduates yapping about their careers have poor benefits, little vacation, and no pensions. Even a low level city clerk has excellent benefits (they are union), pensions, and great vacation benefits. And many don't have degrees (it depends on what they do).

And believe it or not, a big percentage of the Black and Hispanic middle class in NY is civil servant.

You state that I'm ridiculous, but you really don't have a clue.

Civil Service now requires most applicants for clerical positions to have a bachelor's degree. There are a very few entry level clerical that require an associate s degree. There are people working that were hired sometime ago with only HS diplomas but these positions are being phased out. Once a person retires that was hired under the old system they are not replaced. One person now has to do what was broken into jobs done by 3 levels of employees in the past.

Your last statement is correct since The City of New York is the biggest employer in the City and by Civil Service law must hire fairly. With the bachelor's degree requirement you are starting to see less Black people being hired in Civil Service.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You state that I'm ridiculous, but you really don't have a clue.

Civil Service now requires most applicants for clerical positions to have a bachelor's degree. There are a very few entry level clerical that require an associate s degree. There are people working that were hired sometime ago with only HS diplomas but these positions are being phased out. Once a person retires that was hired under the old system they are not replaced. One person now has to do what was broken into jobs done by 3 levels of employees in the past.

Your last statement is correct since The City of New York is the biggest employer in the City and by Civil Service law must hire fairly. With the bachelor's degree requirement you are starting to see less Black people being hired in Civil Service.
Not all of the civil service jobs require bachelor degrees. And you still have no shortage of Black or Hispanic employees in the civil service. And believe it or not, go to any CUNY campus and you will see no shortage of Black and Hispanic students. So the applicant pool for civil service jobs in NYC is not changing.

You are spouting racist rhetoric basically claiming that all Blacks and Hispanics are poor illiterate people who are all unemployed and all dreaming of being basketball starts. Not true . The ones with just high school degrees still mostly WORK for a living, in blue collar jobs and many do have civil service jobs.

Do the majority of Blacks and Hispanics have a bachelors degree? No, and neither do the majority of people worldwide, and the majority of Americans don't either. Pushing bachelor degrees for everyone doesn't solve economic issues or poverty issues.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Not all of the civil service jobs require bachelor degrees. And you still have no shortage of Black or Hispanic employees in the civil service. And believe it or not, go to any CUNY campus and you will see no shortage of Black and Hispanic students. So the applicant pool for civil service jobs in NYC is not changing.

You are spouting racist rhetoric basically claiming that all Blacks and Hispanics are poor illiterate people who are all unemployed and all dreaming of being basketball starts. Not true . The ones with just high school degrees still mostly WORK for a living, in blue collar jobs and many do have civil service jobs.
On the first paragraph here: Wow you are finally stating something positive about Black and Latinos receiving higher education.

On the second paragraph here. I'm enjoying the debate, but do you have resort to lying on me. I never made those statements.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
CPA's are still a minority of employees by far, and if you want to talk about what's realistic, most poor people will end up doing retail for a variety of factors. There are simply a lot more retail jobs than there are CPA jobs. And even with financial aid, sometimes people cannot afford a college education, and there are other reasons why people end up not being able to go.

I've known young people who ended up taking care of sick relatives (it happens) end up getting pregnant and therefore end up having to take care of their child, end up getting sick themselves and not being able to complete a program of study. In other words, LIFE happens to a lot of people.
CPAs far outnumber CEOs. Business analysts far outnumber CEOs. Loan account officers far outnumber CEOs. Careers out of community college like engineering technology far outnumber CEOs. The point remains that education still offers the most paths to a higher standard of living for the most people. It's not perfect nor is it a home run but as DAS mentioned, it is still far better than being consigned to a career living paycheck to paycheck with no opportunities for advancement. Do you think the odds of getting a Eurobasket contract are much better?

Quote:
A significant portion of the population, whether Black, White, or whatever race does not have the aptitude for a college education and is SUITED to doing working class work. These people doing this working class work you so despise still deserve some sort of standard of living.
Scroll back up to the discussion about the analogy with Asian students. They get higher grades and test scores statistically at all levels from elementary, middle and high school. It was not all about college. The reality is that to have the aptitude for college education, one must start doing well in the earlier grades and that has a compounding effect later in life.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
On the first paragraph here: Wow you are finally stating something positive about Black and Latinos receiving higher education.

On the second paragraph here. I'm enjoying the debate, but do you have resort to lying on me. I never made those statements.
I was never negative against Blacks and Latinos having higher education. I went to Cornell. What I was critical about is the claims that some people made here that if everyone from Black and Latino communities magically went out for higher education, that it would somehow erase all problems in these communities. It won't. I did say that most poor people will end up with working class jobs, and that's true of people REGARDLESS of RACE!

At the same time, just because some people (of any race) go out and get degrees, does not mean its appropriate or even desirable for everyone.

But back to Blacks and Latinos in higher education, obviously there are a number who went to the top universities. Look at President Obama, his wife Michelle Obama, Sonia Sotomayor, Eric Holder, among others. Now some of the people on here who get off on bashing young Blacks and Hispanics will say the above mentioned people are a minority within their population. And while that's true, what they conveniently over look is that most whites and asians also don't have college degrees, especially from the top universities.

Education isn't meant to uplift the masses. It acts as a gatekeeper, reducing opportunities for large numbers of people and screening out presumably inferior candidates. If the city requires new civil servant positions to be filled by people with bachelor degrees, they are in effect substantially reducing the applicant pool.

If everyone in effect got a bachelor's degree, you'd reduce the value of the degree and they'd simply use other criteria to screen out inferior candidates. However, the cost of attending college, the cost of applying to college, and the complexities of financial aid in and of themselves reduce the applicant pool for colleges, and end up being factors in why the majority of people never get a bachelors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City