Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM

11 posts, read 22,525 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys. I may have a job at JFK and am unfamiliar with that area. I'd be grateful for any pointers.

I'll be taking the F to Parsons Boulevard and then, according to Google maps, the Q113 to 147th Avenue and 182nd street in Springfield Gardens. Then I have to walk fifteen minutes or so along Rockaway Boulevard.

How is the area around the corner of Parsons Boulevard and Hillside Avenue in the evenings, when I'll be coming back from work? Is there a lot of foot traffic, lights, stores, police presence?

Secondly, here is the stretch of road I'll have to walk once getting off the Q113: http://tinyurl.com/nocarboohoo (Google maps link). How is that area in the evening when I'm walking back?

Thanks for any advice, guys!

Last edited by Siebenschläfer; 12-02-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you take the F to 169th Street and take the Q3 straight into JFK? In fact, you could switch to the E at Kew Gardens, and take the Air Train in.

Not only is walking down Rockaway Boulevard unnecessarily long, it's not the safest area either.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM

I hadn't thought of that. Can I do it this way? Take the Air Train to JFK and then walk over? Here is the exact location:

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Wait, so your job isn't IN JFK, it's right outside it?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Yes, sorry, I should've been clearer. It's in that small area where the red arrows point, outside of it.

Oh, and here's the walking route, were I to go there with the bus:

I don't know, place looks pretty quiet and kinda nice in Google Street View.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM

No prob. The Air Train doesn't go into that vicinity, if I recall correctly. Your only option would be to walk it, and it's not really a walk I'd suggest at night. That area isn't the greatest, and it's pretty desolate.

Edit: just saw your second post. Go a little further along your route in Streetview, and you'll see that there's no sidewalk. Rockaway Boulevard is actually an expressway at that point, so you'd be walking in the shoulder, or on the grass.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Talk about unwelcoming terrain. I saw someone mention commuter vans from Jamaica Station elsewhere. Are you familiar with those?

I'm also wondering if perhaps many of those logistics companies there by JFK don't have some kind of car service to the nearest transportation hub. That would be a godsend.

Ah, well. I don't know if I actually have the job yet. Once I'm there things will become clearer.

Thank you!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebenschläfer View Post
Talk about unwelcoming terrain. I saw someone mention commuter vans from Jamaica Station elsewhere. Are you familiar with those?

I'm also wondering if perhaps many of those logistics companies there by JFK don't have some kind of car service to the nearest transportation hub. That would be a godsend.

Ah, well. I don't know if I actually have the job yet. Once I'm there things will become clearer.

Thank you!
I'm not too familiar with those vans, but its worth checking out. Bottom line is, if you get the job, you probably won't be the only person who commutes by mass transit. I'm sure other people at the job can offer you some advice.

Best of luck

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
...you probably won't be the only person who commutes by mass transit.
Aye, 'tis my hope as well. There are surely hundreds of employees in that area, it can't be possible every single one has a car. Perhaps the companies have hired shuttle vans to Jamaics Station or some other spot.

Hey, thanks for helping out!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
I'll be taking the F to Parsons Boulevard and then, according to Google maps, the Q113 to 147th Avenue and 182nd street in Springfield Gardens. Then I have to walk fifteen minutes or so along Rockaway Boulevard.

How is the area around the corner of Parsons Boulevard and Hillside Avenue in the evenings, when I'll be coming back from work? Is there a lot of foot traffic, lights, stores, police presence?

Secondly, here is the stretch of road I'll have to walk once getting off the Q113: 147th Ave & 182nd St, Queens, NY to 230-79 Rockaway Blvd, Queens, NY 11413 - Google Maps (Google maps link). How is that area in the evening when I'm walking back?

Thanks for any advice, guys!
You can check to see if Springfield Lane connects to the worksite. I don't think it does, though.

After Hurricane Sandy, I took the Q111 to Parsons & Hillside, and it seemed alright. I wasn't really paying attention too much to how many people were out, but it's a major hub, so there are businesses and things in the area. In any case, the entrance to the station is basically right across the street from the bus stop, so I'd definitely say it's safe to transfer there.

Also, you can catch the Q111/113 at Archer & Parsons from the (E)(J)(Z) trains, in case those are more convenient for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I'm not too familiar with those vans, but its worth checking out.
The vans generally stay along the major corridors, because that's where they make the most money. I don't think they would go to a remote area like that, but like you said, it can't hurt to check it out.

Quote:
Aye, 'tis my hope as well. There are surely hundreds of employees in that area, it can't be possible every single one has a car. Perhaps the companies have hired shuttle vans to Jamaics Station or some other spot.

Hey, thanks for helping out!
Or you could ask somebody who does have a car to give you a lift to/from the Q111/113.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: