Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM

241 posts, read 465,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

Wifey works as an external auditor for a mid-sized accounting company, and their entry level auditors make 60k, which is about the same the big 4 pay. So I'm wondering how you come up with that number... is it an offer you already received?
I was thinking the same, as I'm shooting for Big 4 myself, but then I figured he must be a senior associate maybe who is just now moving. As you said, even with Big 4, I havent heard anything about starting in the 70s, MAYBE 60k in the top markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
30k and above. Dont let other posters scare you.
You can get by with 30k, but you won't be living comfortably. Rent + utilities + commute + food + insurance will take most of your paycheck away.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
30k and above? Yeah ok. At 40k you will barely scrape by and will have to live with several roommates. You will need at least 60-70k to get by in Manhattan comfortably and 50-60k in parts of Brooklyn and Queens. Get your facts straight.
Im speaking from experience not more than 2 yrs ago and im also a real estate agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
You can get by with 30k, but you won't be living comfortably. Rent + utilities + commute + food + insurance will take most of your paycheck away.
Yup, theres many ways to get by, sometimes patient and lots of research, other times its just plain luck.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Im speaking from experience not more than 2 yrs ago and im also a real estate agent

Yup, theres many ways to get by, sometimes patient and lots of research, other times its just plain luck.
The title of the thread is "Salary to live comfortably in New York" not "Scraping by and living off of Ramen noodles in New York". As I said before and I am certain just about everyone will agree with me, there is NO way you can get by with $30-40k comfortably in NYC. You will not be able to live alone, you will not be able to afford cable, you will not be able to go out on weekends, you will not be able eat out too often and most importantly don't even think about living in one of the nicer neighborhoods.

Unless you can break it down how you were able to afford rent and everything else I just mentioned off of $30k I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
The title of the thread is "Salary to live comfortably in New York" not "Scraping by and living off of Ramen noodles in New York". As I said before and I am certain just about everyone will agree with me, there is NO way you can get by with $30-40k comfortably in NYC. You will not be able to live alone, you will not be able to afford cable, you will not be able to go out on weekends, you will not be able eat out too often and most importantly don't even think about living in one of the nicer neighborhoods.

Unless you can break it down how you were able to afford rent and everything else I just mentioned off of $30k I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Hate to correct you here, but there was a time I was making 40K, was able to live alone, had cable, went out on weekends, went out once in a while, and was in a nice neighborhood.

The downside was the commute to work was an hour and a half.

So yes it is possible. Just don't expect to be able to pull it off anywhere near a less than an hour commute to Manhattan. I did it a little over a year ago too.

I will say though that 30K is where it gets next to impossible to pull off.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Hate to correct you here, but there was a time I was making 40K, was able to live alone, had cable, went out on weekends, went out once in a while, and was in a nice neighborhood.

The downside was the commute to work was an hour and a half.

So yes it is possible. Just don't expect to be able to pull it off anywhere near a less than an hour commute to Manhattan. I did it a little over a year ago too.

I will say though that 30K is where it gets next to impossible to pull off.
At 40k where did you live and how much was your rent?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
people used to be all about finding a beautiful wife
and having children. now just about everyone is
settling for having roommates for 20 years and
bragging about how they live in the city. wth is
wrong with this world?

no real man cares about all that nonsense.
you're going to get old out here one day.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
At 40k where did you live and how much was your rent?
Bensonhurst, $900

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Bensonhurst, $900
Yeah I guess you could get away with that. If you had no car and only paid for the subway I could see you making it work but you would have to penny pinch. I used to live in Bensonhurst and I can say that it is not a bad neighborhood. The only downfall as you said would be the subway. That N train to mid town is Looooooooong.

I personally am not the best with money. I eat out every other day, have a car and go out once or twice a week. I would not be able to make it work on 40k.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
people used to be all about finding a beautiful wife
and having children. now just about everyone is
settling for having roommates for 20 years and
bragging about how they live in the city. wth is
wrong with this world?

no real man cares about all that nonsense.
you're going to get old out here one day.
I love how these people throw around "real man" like there is a text book definition of it.

The other day I was having a debate with someone on another thread who was trying to tell me what a "real neighbor" is like. LOL, where do you people come up with this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City