Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times

Advertisements

Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
NY Post published this horrible cover on the story how disrespectful to the loved ones of this victim.
I am disgusted with the lies the Post is telling about how this photograph was taken. Did anyone notice? It has to be 100% BS. This is what it says, "Post freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi — who had been waiting on the platform of the 49th Street station — ran toward the train, repeatedly firing off his flash to warn the operator. “I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash,” said Abbasi, whose camera captured chilling shots of Suk’s tragic fight for his life"

How can anyone possibly believe this. The photographer was taking photos with his flash, not "repeatedly firing off his flash to warn the operator."

I really can't believe how they can say this with a straight face. They knew they would face criticism for printing this photo, so they made this crap up to go in the accompanying article.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM

And look at this, when I googled the photographer's name, what pops up but an article with scientific evidence that the photographer lied about running toward the train to warn the operator with his flash. What a surprise that it's a lie, and what a surprise that the Post was willing to publish the lie.

Clues that Abbasi lied about New York Post subway photo?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM

45 posts, read 96,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I am disgusted with the lies the Post is telling about how this photograph was taken. Did anyone notice? It has to be 100% BS. This is what it says, "Post freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi — who had been waiting on the platform of the 49th Street station — ran toward the train, repeatedly firing off his flash to warn the operator. “I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash,” said Abbasi, whose camera captured chilling shots of Suk’s tragic fight for his life"

How can anyone possibly believe this. The photographer was taking photos with his flash, not "repeatedly firing off his flash to warn the operator."

I really can't believe how they can say this with a straight face. They knew they would face criticism for printing this photo, so they made this crap up to go in the accompanying article.
what is glaringly absent in the photos is anyone trying to help the poor guy up to the platform. the photos were worth more than his life apparently. like a flash is gonna stop a train, or something like, oh, SOMEONE ON THE TRACK wouldn't be enough to get the motorman's attention.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude you buggin View Post
what is glaringly absent in the photos is anyone trying to help the poor guy up to the platform. the photos were worth more than his life apparently. like a flash is gonna stop a train, or something like, oh, SOMEONE ON THE TRACK wouldn't be enough to get the motorman's attention.
I don't necessarily believe that the photographer could have saved the guy's life -- there most likely wasn't time. However, I find it despicable that the photos would be taken and published with accompanying lies to "prove" that the photographer was in fact helping. Yeah, right.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily believe that the photographer could have saved the guy's life -- there most likely wasn't time. However, I find it despicable that the photos would be taken and published with accompanying lies to "prove" that the photographer was in fact helping. Yeah, right.
the time spent prepping the camera he could have sprung into action...doesn't look like he was that far away.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude you buggin View Post
the time spent prepping the camera he could have sprung into action...doesn't look like he was that far away.
Maybe you're right.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe you're right.
It's a sad mentality. I think it was Bob Goldthwait who had a skit on Rodney King.."if you see me getting beat up by the cops, put down the camera and help!"

It was just a joke but it does have some truth to it. People care more about the notoriety attached to the shots and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Maybe you're right.
I think somebody should have helped. One of the stories made the point that something like 90 seconds passed. Not enough time to even try, go to the edge ? Call 911 on their "smart phones" ? But I would bet that all were sunk into their silly little electronic devices (me-me-me) - just as I see every day.

People do not notice elderly people on the train who need a seat. Too busy with their ear phones.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
He was clearly more interested in getting a shock photo than helping the guy. With a strong hand the guy could have been saved. Were people standing by too busy with their camera phones to help? That photographer exercised zero compassion by submitting that tasteless shot. Very sad display of judgement by that rag, the NY Post. They care nothing for the victim's family, no such thing as integrity and professionalism with newspapers of this type. Seems that people just gotta look, I wish they would lose readers over this but they won't. Often the comments are equally revolting, with twisted cold ramblings from half-wits from all over the country.

Online newpapers today are a joke, poorly written articles, spelling errors, inaccurate facts and lack of proofing their work prior to publication. I really think high school students could do as well or better. Add to that the mix of entertainment crap news mixed along side real news stories, and its about like the National Enquirer. I guess for the most part that's the mentality of the readers today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City