Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That is correct...Riverdale in theory sounds like the right place, but if you actually go there it is like one giant outdoor assisted living facility......

OMG,a statement like this from the one who continuously calls other people out for their stereotyping and generalizations ?

What is the difference between a statement like this and the people who refer to the entire South Bronx as a crime infested ghetto hell hole or to the entire Bronx as crime infested ghetto hell hole ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
If you walk down Johnson Ave any time of day, which is one of the main and only restaurant/bar/bakery strips in Riverdale, it is the Bronx's version of Shady Pines. Yes there are families too, but a very high number of the elderly.

In regards to your comparison...saying there are " alot old people in Riverdale" is not equivalent to the highly caustic and completely untrue comment "entire Bronx as crime infested ghetto hell hole." They are not equivalent, and asserting so is silly.

So yes there are some restaurants/bars there, but the same problem...not the market he or I seek...it's an older population.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Sorry I didn't want to make it seem like a race thing. It's really a socio-economic issue. Guidos, Bronx Irish, Albanian's and other ethnic whites along with the Hispanics and Blacks in the Bronx will never be willing to spend $12 on a drink or other craziness like that...not on a regular basis. That's the reason why we live in the Bronx...because it's affordable compared to the trendy parts of the city. So basiclly the OP will NEVER find what they are looking for here. So if you are a transplant and you want the NYC experience like what you have seen on Friends and other T.V shows about New York you better have some money so you can move to a place where you can have these experiences. You will not have them in the Bronx.

As far as having a large population of the elderly in Riverdale you are right on the money with that one. I used to go to CMSV and I had to take the #10 bus. Took a full hour to get from Mosholu to the school because the bus literally stops and kneels every two to three blocks. There is an assisted living facility on the grounds of the Hebrew Home for the Aged and there are also several other nursing homes in that area. Lots of old people.

Quote:
If you walk down Johnson Ave any time of day, which is one of the main and only restaurant/bar/bakery strips in Riverdale, it is the Bronx's version of Shady Pines. Yes there are families too, but a very high number of the elderly.

So yes there are some restaurants/bars there, but the same problem...not the market he or I seek.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:

In regards to your comparison...saying there are " alot old people in Riverdale" is not equivalent to the highly caustic and completely untrue comment "entire Bronx as crime infested ghetto hell hole." They are not equivalent, and asserting so is silly....
But that is not what you said.You didn't simply say "there are a lot of old people in Riverdale" and why you put quotes around it in the above ,as if you were quoting yourself,is disingenuous.What you said was that
" it is like one giant outdoor assisted living facility "and that is highly caustic and untrue whether you want to recognize it as such or not. So who is being silly ?

Do you think that people who live in Riverdale are any less offended by your referring to their neighborhood as "one giant outdoor assisted living facility" than you are offended by those who refer to The South Bronx as a crime infested ghetto hell hole ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-06-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
Show me where I said I want the neighborhood I live in to change for me then maybe I can better explain.
come on yo. you know what you wrote.
open up a granola store or something.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Bluedog...unfortunately it is an outdoor assisted living facility. If you prefer I can simply call it Shady Pines. I don't think anyone in Riverdale would be offended if I call it that...there is nothing offensive about it. It is an older population....it is what it is and Riverdale prefers it that way.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM

223 posts, read 615,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
come on yo. you know what you wrote.
open up a granola store or something.
LAME! The first guy said it better.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Bluedog...unfortunately it is an outdoor assisted living facility. If you prefer I can simply call it Shady Pines. I don't think anyone in Riverdale would be offended if I call it that...there is nothing offensive about it. It is an older population....it is what it is and Riverdale prefers it that way.
You do, of course, realize that there is an actual senior apartment community on Johnson that used to be an assisted living facility before it was converted to moderate income housing. And, the Hebrew Home for the Aged has a rather large campus in Riverdale.

As to being offensive, the characterization is offensive, and not from the perspective of a resident, but because it smacks of ageism. I am not anywhere close to being a senior, and I find that to be a gross generalization and insulting. What hours were you on Johnson Avenue when you saw such a critical mass of elderly people that it is okay to stereotype with a broad brush the entire neighborhood? I mean I see lots of older people on the UES and UWS during the day, not so many at night, but I would not characterize either area as Riverdale has been.

Riverdale is not hip, nor does it want to be; rather, it is a quiet bedroom community where people value their peace and solitude. There are active residents' associations who tend to block too much development, places that are open late, etc. for that very reason. Oh, and there are many young families in the area, as evidenced by overcrowding issues at the elementary school, not to mention those who move to the area for easier access to Riverdale Country Day, Fieldston, and Horace Mann, rather than having to drive up from Manhattan for school and back to Manhattan in morning traffic. Then there are those families who need proximity to Manhattan and Westchester, who find comparatively easy to reside within the city limits for many reasons.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM

223 posts, read 615,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
No inexpensive neighborhood in NYC is going to be all things to all people - if it were it would cost much more to live there. Jaas maybe you should consider Woodlawn - not trendy but there's tons of bars. No subway in the neighborhood though.
Why are you trying to move me out of Pelham Parkway already lol. Hey, as I said a few times, I don't need to live in a trendy or hip neighborhood. Sure it's nice to be in area that has more things that I like to do but it's not even one of the top 5 factors in me choosing a place to live. The main drawback for me is how long it takes me to get home when I hang out - which is usually below 34th St. I didn't know that the 2 goes local through Manhattan after 12:00 am which kinda sucks; especially after I've had a few .

But I have been to Woodlawn and it's a nice looking area. Seems really green and quiet with some nice looking Irish pubs and restaurants which is cool since I'm more of a foodie than a bar guy. However, I don't think that Woodlawn would be the place for me for a few reasons.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood your post Yodel. You were just suggesting I visit Woodlawn; not move there right?

Last edited by JaasNYC; 12-06-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM

37 posts, read 44,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm sure there are less picky people than me in this respect. I also find a lot of Riverdale to be unattractive - but in a different way. I hate all the huge modern apt. buildings that you drive into. Alot of the little houses are very blah too in my opinion. I do think the Bronx has a lot of overlooked areas that are beautiful though- Van Cortlandt Village is one - and the part of Kingsbridge close to there has some amazing architecture too. Some of the houses are the size of mansions.
I like the new modern apartment buildings in Riverdale, especially the Solaria Riverdale. They make the neighborhood look bright, energized and fun. I agree that the little houses in Riverdale look dull and blah. I would like to see Avalon apartment buildings in the Bronx like I see in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, New Rochelle, White Plains. Why should the Bronx be left out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City