Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM

287 posts, read 592,326 times

Advertisements

Ok, so living in the NYC area is very expensive and we all know this.

Do you think this is really cutting it close for making a living:

I make 3k a month AFTER taxes

I spend 1100 on rent

120 on utilities

85 for cable and internet

65 car insurance

150 on gas

350 on food

550 for my student loan payments

So, if I buy nothing for myself all month (other than necessities) i can put about $500 in savings each month.

I don't know how others live, but do you think this is really cutting it close? I mean, it doesn't allow me to save much and i live a minimalist existance. However, I am happy. My onky concern is that it doesn't allow me to save much so what happens is that im always 60 days away from bankrupcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM

45 posts, read 96,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post

I spend 1100 on rent

120 on utilities

65 car insurance

150 on gas

350 on food

So, if I buy nothing for myself all month (other than necessities) i can put about $500 in savings each month.

I don't know how others live, but do you think this is really cutting it close? I mean, it doesn't allow me to save much and i live a minimalist existance. However, I am happy. My onky concern is that it doesn't allow me to save much so what happens is that im always 60 days away from bankrupcy.
Your age and growth potential at your job are the key factors to your question. You're already out of deferment on school... was it worth it? Get yourself some plastic and live a little

Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude you buggin View Post
Your age and growth potential at your job are the key factors to your question. You're already out of deferment on school... was it worth it? Get yourself some plastic and live a little
Lol the problem is a lot of folks get themsleves in trouble with credit cards. i already owe the Federal Government 130k for student loans; I don't want to owe credit card companies too.

to answer your question, yes I think it was worth it. I have a job I love going too and the pay increases every couple of years. But I will never be "well off" as it does not pay that great.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Lol the problem is a lot of folks get themsleves in trouble with credit cards. i already owe the Federal Government 130k for student loans; I don't want to owe credit card companies too.

to answer your question, yes I think it was worth it. I have a job I love going too and the pay increases every couple of years. But I will never be "well off" as it does not pay that great.
Credit makes the world go round...you will have to establish it somewhere. It's often overlooked when people write out budgets: I make x and my expenses are y...is it doable

I made zippo when I was a kid out of school. sustained an apartment, car, girlfriend, had a fun life and would do it all again. those little plastic devils were the difference-maker.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude you buggin View Post
Credit makes the world go round...you will have to establish it somewhere. It's often overlooked when people write out budgets: I make x and my expenses are y...is it doable

I made zippo when I was a kid out of school. sustained an apartment, car, girlfriend, had a fun life and would do it all again. those little plastic devils were the difference-maker.
Iv never been a fan of them. What strategy did you use to pay them off without interest rates putting you deep into debt? Im 28 and I never had one until this past month but I rarely use it. I just got it to help build credit.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM

802 posts, read 1,360,074 times
you pay $65 a month for car insurance in NYC?
WOW
which borough/neighborhood?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Iv never been a fan of them. What strategy did you use to pay them off without interest rates outting you deep into debt? Im 28 and I never had one until this past month but I rarely use it. I just got it to help build credit.
the old promotional balance. though in fairness I'm not sure this is as common as it was in my day. build up a balance, roll it to a new card at a promotional rate, lather, rinse, repeat. it just kinda worked out for me.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
you pay $65 a month for car insurance in NYC?
WOW
which borough/neighborhood?

I'm in Yonkers actually. I was told my rate is low due to the age of my car (13 years) and the low number of accidents I have been in (ZERO, knock on wood).

Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,066,696 times
Quote:

I spend 1100 on rent

120 on utilities

65 car insurance

150 on gas

350 on food

Are you asking how to save money? Maybe you're not, but here it goes anyway. Stop paying for cable tv and reduce your cable bill to internet only. You should be able to get a promotional rate of around $30 per month for high speed cable internet. When that runs out, call and ask to get the promotional rate again. If you have any neighbors above/below/next to you, see if they want to split the internet bill with you. You can give them the password to your router.

The $120 utility bill sounds a bit high, unless you have to pay for heat. Electric should only be about $60 (if you're not paying for heat) and gas for cooking should be about $18.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,671,654 times
Quote:
Iv never been a fan of them. What strategy did you use to pay them off without interest rates putting you deep into debt? Im 28 and I never had one until this past month but I rarely use it. I just got it to help build credit.
My strategy for avoiding credit card interest and debt is to spend only what I can afford to pay off in full each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: