Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 38,999 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am looking to move to N.Y.C from NJ by Feburary. I am looking at several areas: Harlem, Bedford Stuyvesant, Crown Heights and Flatbush. But I am asking in particular about the Brooklyn neighborhood of Flatbush. I'm sure you want to know how I fit in demographically: I am 24 year old black guy, 5'7 and 150 pounds. I am normally low key, I can't fight, I dress kind of preppy: bowties, cardigans etc, so where I go I tend to stand out. When I ask people, they say I would be perfect for Harlem, and I love Harlem. Only problem is studios are running $1,300 in Harlem (with no ammenities) and there isn't much space. I'd rather pay that for a large one bedroom. The reaction I get when I ask about Flatbush is mixed: some say I will be fine, other say I will get picked on or worse if I lived there. I love pre-war apartments and I know Flatbush has beautiful ones. My questions are:
Are there any parts of the Flatbush neighborhood that I will fit in with no problem?
Are there areas to avoid?
What areas tend to have the pre war apartments and are diverse neighborhoods?
If there is another Brooklyn neighorhood you can suggest that you feel is a good fit please tell me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
good luck with that cuz.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 38,999 times
That tells me NOTHING.. why is that good luck.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
try ocean ave or somewhere.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM

223 posts, read 616,019 times
I vote you'll be fine in Flatbush but you can add Ditmas Park & Prospect Lefferts to your list since they're in the same area as Flatbush. Check around Newkirk Ave. on the Q line too.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
There used to be a population of young black professional types & black quirky/bohemian/artsy types that had pretty much taken over Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Eventually they got pushed out when the area got mega gentrified, but wherever they relocated is where you belong. I heard that parts of Bed Stuy make up the new in spot for trendy young blacks, but I'm not sure. Check in areas near prospect park and/or grand army plaza? Or along the West Indian Parade route. It may be somewhere in there.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
If I were looking to move to the Flatbush area I would check out Lefferts Gardens. It seems to be a stable working/middle class neighborhood and has some of the most interesting architecture in Brooklyn (or NYC for that matter).

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
I'll co-sign Lefferts Garden, there are some beautiful brownstones over there. I can imagine it being very hard to rent over there, therefore factors like higher rents and availability might be factors. I like walking through the area because there's a calm, like it doesn't belong smack in the middle of the surrounding dirtiness/madness. Another plus is there is an neighborhood watch group.

So if you can't find a place there try where I am East Flatbush which is a few streets over from Lefferts Garden. Since the uptick in crime we also have a crime neighborhood watch. I heard there's a push to have cameras installed along Nostrand Avenue, hopefully along the part I live also. I'm not trying to scare you off as far as crime goes it's tamer than Brownsville or Crown Heights, this is East Flatbush not the rest of Flatbush which I can't vouch for.

It's a poor West Indian neighborhood mainly made up of Haitians, it's also a working class neighborhood that cares about what goes on here so it's relatively quiet (except especially around the West Indian Day pParade time in September.

In regards to anyone bothering you, I've seen all kinds is weirdness (crazy dressing flamboyant young West Indian gay men) yes they do exist in this area. So if you look like Erkel or Carlton Banks you might get a second look or a little comment at most but no one will really bother you.

Like most places in NY as I'm sure you're aware there are the gangs and dope boys here too. They won't bother you unless you bother them and I can honestly say there hasn't been open daylight shootings going on here within the last 8 years that I'm aware of. Now within the last 3 years stuff started to jump off where you'll hear gunshots at night on rare occassions. Even an incident where someone got mad for not being allowed entry to a summer BBQ which resulted in 5 people being shot, hence the reason to step up police presence and more meetings for the neighborhood watch doesn't happen often.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Ditmas Park, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, or the area near Downstate Medical you should have no problems. I'm a female small geeky type and there all the time, and have never had a problem. As with any neighborhood, keep your wits about you, especially at night when walking home from the subway or bus.

I would stay away from Flatbush and Ocean Aves, and go either east or west. My first preference would be Ditmas Park. It's a beautiful, diverse neighborhood.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Am I the only one thinking this kid is a dork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City