Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times

Advertisements

Question, why don't you find a buiilding in Manhattan with parking. No need to leave Manhattan for parking, as long as you can afford it. If you've already been keeping a car, then you are already paying a tidy sum for parking.

If a broker's fee isn't off putting then using a broker is the best way to go, particularly for parking!! Experienced brokers will know whiich buildings have **available** parking. Available is the key, as many buildings have parking, but space is limited, so their are long waiting lists.

Most of these buildings are large post war, modern and newly built. There are pre war buildings wiith parking, but those are likely outside the budget range, and availability will be difficult.

I'd imagine you can find something in the $4K to $6K range. Not remotely cheap, but in the scheme of Manhattan not terribly expensive either.

In Queens, the absolute best option for you is Hunter's Point. There you will find a growing collection of very newly built modern Manhattan style towers, ALL with parking!! It is an excellent location if you depend more on your vehicle than the subway.

The Queens Midtown Tunnel is literally five minutes, the 59th Street and Triborough Bridges are 15 minutes, The Grand Central and LIE too. The area is served by the #7 line and is 2 stops to Grand Central/42nd St. Unlike most areas of Queens, Hunter's Point has a virtual Transplants majority, so if diversity is important this is not the place.

For roughly $3200 you can get a 1 bdrm and parking, in a building with all modern amenities, doorman and *valet* parking; and, if I recall a few have pools. Absolutely incredible views of the river and Manhattan, as well as a riverside park.

HP is right on the river, so in Winter, it can get windy and cold. Also, there is a short hike to the subway. You can't get closer to Manhattan with reasonable parking than this.

Alternatives w/b Astoria, but I do not suggest street parking under any circumstances, nor renting in a private home with driveway parking. Not bad, bbut if rent isn't an issue, then why do that?

In Astoria, there are a good number of modern recently built buildings, most of which have parking for an additional cost. You will find such buildings all over the neighborhood. I suggest 31st AVENUE (btw 31st STREET and 21st St.); and, along 21st Street (btw Broadway and Hoyt Ave.)

I also suggest you look at Shore Towers, I didn't find it suitable for myself, but perhaps you might. It is an older building, built a couple decades ago, during the initial Gentrification period. Doorman, pool, tennis, waterfront, balcony, views and PARKING!! It is located right at the foot of Astoria Park (big plus!). It is a fair hike from the subway, but the buildiing provides 'shuttle bus' service. Oh, forgot, it is a coop, but rentals are relatively available.

Lastly, Forest Hills and vacinity. It is a little bit farther out, but still quite reasonable in distance. Queens Blvd is the main drag and leads right to the 59th Street Bridge. Here you will find a cornocopia of housing options from, small modern buildings, large Manhattan type towrs, large apartment *complexes*, pre war, post war, coop, condo, etc. Along with whatever amenities you can afford.

Parking is a premium across the neighborhood, so it is important to find a building with available parking. Close to the Grand Central and easy access to Long Island and other parts of Queens. Very, very, diverse.

Austin street is the main shopping drag where every store found in a mall is located along with restaurants and bars. Nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 AM

317 posts, read 819,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Question, why don't you find a buiilding in Manhattan with parking. No need to leave Manhattan for parking, as long as you can afford it. If you've already been keeping a car, then you are already paying a tidy sum for parking.

If a broker's fee isn't off putting then using a broker is the best way to go, particularly for parking!! Experienced brokers will know whiich buildings have **available** parking. Available is the key, as many buildings have parking, but space is limited, so their are long waiting lists.

Most of these buildings are large post war, modern and newly built. There are pre war buildings wiith parking, but those are likely outside the budget range, and availability will be difficult.

I'd imagine you can find something in the $4K to $6K range. Not remotely cheap, but in the scheme of Manhattan not terribly expensive either.

In Queens, the absolute best option for you is Hunter's Point. There you will find a growing collection of very newly built modern Manhattan style towers, ALL with parking!! It is an excellent location if you depend more on your vehicle than the subway.

The Queens Midtown Tunnel is literally five minutes, the 59th Street and Triborough Bridges are 15 minutes, The Grand Central and LIE too. The area is served by the #7 line and is 2 stops to Grand Central/42nd St. Unlike most areas of Queens, Hunter's Point has a virtual Transplants majority, so if diversity is important this is not the place.

For roughly $3200 you can get a 1 bdrm and parking, in a building with all modern amenities, doorman and *valet* parking; and, if I recall a few have pools. Absolutely incredible views of the river and Manhattan, as well as a riverside park.

HP is right on the river, so in Winter, it can get windy and cold. Also, there is a short hike to the subway. You can't get closer to Manhattan with reasonable parking than this.

Alternatives w/b Astoria, but I do not suggest street parking under any circumstances, nor renting in a private home with driveway parking. Not bad, bbut if rent isn't an issue, then why do that?

In Astoria, there are a good number of modern recently built buildings, most of which have parking for an additional cost. You will find such buildings all over the neighborhood. I suggest 31st AVENUE (btw 31st STREET and 21st St.); and, along 21st Street (btw Broadway and Hoyt Ave.)

I also suggest you look at Shore Towers, I didn't find it suitable for myself, but perhaps you might. It is an older building, built a couple decades ago, during the initial Gentrification period. Doorman, pool, tennis, waterfront, balcony, views and PARKING!! It is located right at the foot of Astoria Park (big plus!). It is a fair hike from the subway, but the buildiing provides 'shuttle bus' service. Oh, forgot, it is a coop, but rentals are relatively available.

Lastly, Forest Hills and vacinity. It is a little bit farther out, but still quite reasonable in distance. Queens Blvd is the main drag and leads right to the 59th Street Bridge. Here you will find a cornocopia of housing options from, small modern buildings, large Manhattan type towrs, large apartment *complexes*, pre war, post war, coop, condo, etc. Along with whatever amenities you can afford.

Parking is a premium across the neighborhood, so it is important to find a building with available parking. Close to the Grand Central and easy access to Long Island and other parts of Queens. Very, very, diverse.

Austin street is the main shopping drag where every store found in a mall is located along with restaurants and bars. Nightlife.
Thanks for the info, I'm trying to avoid high parking cost and I've made alot of friends in the Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO areas in Brooklyn and also Astoria and Long Island City in Queens, so I've been spending alot of time out side of the city and like the other boroughs as well.. Whats the issue with street parking in Astoria is it a ticket nightmare or lots of car theft?

Also I googled the Shores Towers I see its close to the Astoria Houses Public Housing is that a safe location?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
I would suggest Long island and hunters point in Queens as well. There are a lot of new buildings being built there and a lot of buildings that have just been built. Depending on when you plan on moving you could be the first person to live in the apartment! and also, like jcoltrane said, a lot of the newer buildings have underground parking garages that you can pay extra monthly to use.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
you could probably move into a house somewhere with a driveway.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you could probably move into a house somewhere with a driveway.
I'm more of a building or condo kinda guy! Houses are alot to maintain sometimes and I'm also young with no kids and not married so I like being around singles not the family neighborhoods.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,433 times
Keep in mind that there are a lot of smaller garages in the boroughs- For example I was living in Clinton Hill for awhile, had a sweet one bedroom huge prewar walkup for $1300 and parked in a family owned garage a few blocks away where I paid $215 a month. The guys who worked there were amazing- I would call down to them when I was walking over and they would have my car pulled up on the street waiting for me. They even gave me two weeks free when I was in the process of moving. You can also go on craigslist- a lot of people who have driveways in front of their buildings but do not have cars will rent their driveway out. People list stuff as low as $100/month. I would STRONGLY suggest staying away from street parking. A) your car will be beaten to crap by other drivers. and b) forget to move it once during alternate side and the ticket will be half of what you would pay for a parking spot somewhere safe.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Keep in mind that there are a lot of smaller garages in the boroughs- For example I was living in Clinton Hill for awhile, had a sweet one bedroom huge prewar walkup for $1300 and parked in a family owned garage a few blocks away where I paid $215 a month. The guys who worked there were amazing- I would call down to them when I was walking over and they would have my car pulled up on the street waiting for me. They even gave me two weeks free when I was in the process of moving. You can also go on craigslist- a lot of people who have driveways in front of their buildings but do not have cars will rent their driveway out. People list stuff as low as $100/month. I would STRONGLY suggest staying away from street parking. A) your car will be beaten to crap by other drivers. and b) forget to move it once during alternate side and the ticket will be half of what you would pay for a parking spot somewhere safe.

Are there neighborhoods like Astoria in Queens or in Brooklyn (areas close to Manhattan) where you can park on the street without a meter as long as your not in a tow away zone or no parking area? Im really trying to avoid paying a garage fee or having someone else handling my keys and car.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Are there neighborhoods like Astoria in Queens or in Brooklyn (areas close to Manhattan) where you can park on the street without a meter as long as your not in a tow away zone or no parking area? Im really trying to avoid paying a garage fee or having someone else handling my keys and car.
all of the residential streets basically are like that. Only the "main drags" would be the metered parking as it would only be to park to go into a business not to park there all night.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
all of the residential streets basically are like that. Only the "main drags" would be the metered parking as it would only be to park to go into a business not to park there all night.
Do you have a car and park outside how often do you have problems with tickets or vandalism/theft if so?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Do you have a car and park outside how often do you have problems with tickets or vandalism/theft if so?
I do not have a car. I rented a car and tried finding parking on an alternate side parking day and that was a bit difficult because half of the parking around me was unusable.

If you park your car correctly you should never get tickets. It's called the stupid tax because it's 100% on you. You can avoid it by just following the signs.

Damage and stuff, your bumpers will probably get effed up if you are parking on the street daily. A lot of people have those bumper guard things that seem to do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City