Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times

Advertisements

Why is the city so slow to encourage this. Does anyone know if it is being encouraged?

There have been a few mixed use developments constructed in NYCHA property in Manhattan and the Bronx but what's the hold up everywhere else?

Increasing density on NYCHA grounds would provide an immensive number of residential units to the city. In the Lower East Side, it was estimated 9,000 alone! By constructing multi use developments you bring street life to the dead grounds of public housing which reduces crime, provides amenities and provides housing.

And yes people will move in, this is NYC. There are already condos across the street from projects in Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
You are not clear on what air rights are. In NYCHA's case, they actually have open land space and flexible zoning restrictions to work with. Air rights is when for example you have a vacant lot next to a 3 story building and you want to build your building 7 stories high on the vacant lot, but zoning on that block only allows you to build up to 5 stories max. So you buy "air rights" from the 3 story building, so that you can build to 7, and the 3 story building can't ever increase it's height to 5 stories until the 7 story building is demolished.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Well I should have been more specific. My question is in regards to development period on NYCHA property rather than heights. That would be priority of course.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
You're right that people would move in, no doubt. But I question their sanity nonetheless.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,736 times
What about the people that already live there? you think that they are all good for nothing hoodrats?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Well I should have been more specific. My question is in regards to development period on NYCHA property rather than heights. That would be priority of course.
You mean to build on the land that is used for parking spaces for the tenants ?
That could cause a real uproar !

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You mean to build on the land that is used for parking spaces for the tenants ?
That could cause a real uproar !
Actually, YES.

There should be no NYCHA parking lots at all in these areas:

-Manhattan
-the West Bronx
-the East Bronx within one mile of a subway station.
-Northern/Western Brooklyn.
-Southern/Eastern Brooklyn within one mile of a subway station.
-Western Queens within one mile if a subway station.

As for greenspace, which is completely underutilized, allow for redevelopment and restore the street grid where possible.

Mixed use, high density, transit oriented housing. Neighborhoods which would be significantly effected include:

The Lower East Side
Greater Harlem
The West Bronx
Soundview
Greater East NY/Bedstuy/Brownsville/Bushwick
Fort Green
Coney Island
The Rockaways

I may be missing some but anywhere there are NYCHA development would see major development.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsince82 View Post
What about the people that already live there? you think that they are all good for nothing hoodrats?
I didn't say that, you're choosing to assume something about me based on the fact that I'd prefer my family not live near projects. Anyone who can afford to live in a better area is accepting a major risk to move near projects.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM

^Not all the projects are that bad and those up to no good usually stick among themselves. This is especially true if the surrounding area is very different economically.

People normally co-exist pretty well in this city, and the people in the projects would benefit from new retail and an improved street grid+vibrancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City