Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
They don't bring crime into neighborhoods and they are generally friendly people who drank lattes and don't bother anyone.

Edit. I meant to say "What" in the title instead of why.
Wait a min, let me guess, did you watch tonites episode of the simpsons which was about Hipsters moving to Springfield. It was a funny episode, were hipsters wore vintage mustache, breast feed children with organic breast milk, fixies, vespas, iphones and ipads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There are so many incorrect points with this statement. I will try to use bullet points to explain why as well as answer your question...
  • Hipsters do not price out the undesirables... The undesirables in many cases fall under one or both of these categories... They either make more illegal money than the poor hard working families living in these questionable areas, or they are section 8 users and abusers
  • Hipsters DO price out the hard working families however... That is definitely true. What tends to happen within these communities when realtors and investors begin pushing an area is that the hard working families regardless of ethnicity either have to move to other parts of the city, out of the city altogether or if they own a home must rent to the clueless hipsters at ridiculous rents in order to make due
  • Natives do not hate hipsters but rather the attitude that an increasing number of them seem to bring to this city. Apparently, it is the notion that you seem to share with them that anything and everything improves with their arrival. The hipsters did not save this city... Natives who fought for better QOL in struggling communities for years along with a much better police force and respected politicians helped to clean this city up... Many hipsters however seem to take credit for the revitalization of this city while they reap the benefits of the natives who in many cases ended up being priced out because of them...
  • Many natives also dislike the fact that this city which has always historically been known to be a blue-collar working class city has continued its transformation into one generic bland place to be. Believe it or not, the entire city does not need to be saturated with boutiques, art spots, thai places and coffee shops.
  • Other tend to have resentment over the fact that many historically ethnic communities that have been a staple of this city for years beyond our time are being exploited for this group of newcomers. For years even when a new immigrant group became the main culture in this city, ethnic communities always remained as they were... Germans (1930s-1950s) Italians (1950s-1970s), Puerto Ricans (1970s-1990s) Dominicans (1990s-2000s), none of these groups sought to change the landscape of this city the way this new groups has. Again in the PC world that we live in, saying things like this will get me in trouble but these are the feelings that many people in this city have but are too afraid or careful to admit... Me personally I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me...
  • Finally, this is a personal pet peeve of mine and it is semi-related to the third bullet point that was made. (Transplants (people from other states) have been around long before this explosion that took place roughly 5-10 years ago... (The difference between those SOHO/East Village/LES/Early Williamsburg pioneers and the new group of hipsters is the attitude so many new arrivals come with)... This feeling of superiority over native New Yorkers and that anything non-trendy to them is repulsive pisses me the hell off as it does to many other people... This was an attitude that wasn't present with those before them and I tend to believe that it is the main reason why there is so much resentment towards this group...
There are other points but I think you've gotten the just of it through this post.
Solid post. I agree.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Being a non-hipster and a non-"native", I always wonder if I really exist.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
What I think of when I read the word HIPSTER:

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
This is December's bash the hispters, transplants, yuppies thread.

If we're lucky this will be the last one of the year.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Their tryhard, look-at-me, cupcake blogging antics are incredibly annoying.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
this as an example of my dislike... Me and my girlfriend went to starbucks this weekend. We ordered a drink and two breakfast sandwiches and instead of walking home and letting them get cold... we decided to just eat them there real quick.....
Little did I know that there wouldn't be a single seat anywhere because 3 people sitting down in the starbucks actually had a drink, or food item, and then the rest of them were just hanging out on their laptops.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
I work in the West Village in Manhattan and I see hipsters all the time. I have no problems with them and many of them are nice people and own their own businesses or aspire to be entrepreneurs.....but my main issue with them is the way they dress....skinny jeans, vintage shoes, vintage clothing, mismatched clothing, grungy haircuts, outgrown beards and goatees, beanie caps when its 85 degrees out and the biggest eyesore of them all is the big framed glasses.
To me and a few of my friends they are an eyesore to look at, but on the other hand they may look at me and think that I am out of style or whatever in my jean/t-shirt/ clean cut look lol.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Their tryhard, look-at-me, cupcake blogging antics are incredibly annoying.
You usually have good posts.

But I just want to say that the use of the EXACT SAME PHRASES almost autistically repeated over and over to describe hipsters in certain corners of the internet has become more annoying than hipsters themselves.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 AM

338 posts, read 677,182 times
I have no problem whatsoever with hipsters. They are clean, they aren't criminals, they aren't anti-social (i.e., they know how to behave on the trains)--that's really all I expect from my fellow New Yorkers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City