Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
I don't understand this mentality. Wouldn't you rather live in a neighborhood where the undesirables have been priced out? Not starting an argument, just being inquisitive.
LOL at the idioacy innante in the original question and the above.

Dude, can't you see you have answered your own question?

"undersireables?

WHO are THEY, the "undesireables"?

Apparently, there are those who find, you, Hipster(s) undesireable. Comment?

Who defines what and who are undesireable?

You? Hipsters? WHO?

By what criteria? By whose measure?

Comment?

THAT is what is wrong with "Hipsters" and their common breed, Transplants.

Arrogance of Self. Self-validated valuations.

The narrow scope of values determined by self and/or a group of selves.

This is NOT your home. You are not FROM, nor OF here. Yet, you come and seek to IMPOSE yourself, your values onto an existing landscape of inhabitants and markets.

You say you don't bring crime (as if that is the only measure of worth), yet what is it that you do bring? What iis the benefit? Who are the beneficiaries?

You, hipster, do NOT bring "better". You, hipster, do not "enhance".

You, hipster, simply "displace"!
You, hipster, displace without discrimination.
You, hipster, displace with no greater purpose, nor any purpose, but SELF!

Your ethics, hipster, are simply hypocritical self interest.

You got it now? What is wrong with hipsters.

Liberal Progressive Democratic Aholes of extraordinary hypocracy.

List of neighborhoods where the Transplant/Hipster/Progressive presence has destroyed the esisting positive community. Primarily, the black bourgouise (and/or existing intergrated) residential and business communities, established, growing. Stunted, then displaced to no further purpose:

Stuyvesant Heights
Clinton Hill
Fort Greene
Sugar Hill
Hamilton Heights
Ditmas Park
Greenpoint

Transplant/Hipster you were not, are not, needed, wanted, nor asked for. You bring and brought nothing to these areas that did not previously exist.

You simply created a 'pace' of destruction.

Last edited by jcoltrane; 12-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Maybe the world is going to come to an end in a week or so after all.

I somewhat agree with coltrane on something.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
I don't understand this mentality. Wouldn't you rather live in a neighborhood where the undesirables have been priced out? Not starting an argument, just being inquisitive.

maybe you will never understand until you become an undesirable yourself.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You usually have good posts.

But I just want to say that the use of the EXACT SAME PHRASES almost autistically repeated over and over to describe hipsters in certain corners of the internet has become more annoying than hipsters themselves.
I find the repetition to be amusing.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Yes to all of the above.

Also yes. Hipsters aren't the only subgroup that annoys me, but honestly they annoy me the most. Their holier-than-though superior attitude is exhausting. They are RUDE and sometimes delusional. I'm talking about the hardcore transplant hipsters that dominate what used to be old-school working class neighborhoods.

I went to a bar in Williamsburg the other night against my better judgement as a favor to a friend, and it was a terrible experience. A lot of 30 year old men and women acting like 12 year olds. Not to mention how rude every single person that was there happened to be. I personally do not look like a hipster and do not own hipster clothing. I like adult clothing, like lacey black dresses and heels. My fiancee was wearing a button-down shirt. We don't look like yuppies..just normal people. We couldn't get served...and I don't even know how many dirty looks I got. The bartender with his obnoxious chest-long beard kept giving my fiancee the evil eye and blatantly ignoring us while laughing it up with his hipster friends. When we were able to finally get drinks, he literally slammed them on the table. In general, it was almost like people went out of the way to be rude to us and clearly because we didn't fit in. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Totally hostile atmosphere.

It's just one example, but I've seen that type of attitude from most hipsters, and it really annoys me. I'm a friendly, laid-back middle class person, and I don't appreciate these women and men babies with their entitled, hypocriticial attitudes. It's like they were picked on in high school and now they are trying to stick it to everyone who looks normal because now they get to be the cool kids. It's obnoxious.
You'll hear no "hipster" hate coming from me but I will chime in with this commentary. I have a friend that lives in a converted factory in Williamsburg. She's been living there for maybe 12 or 13 years- so right before the huge onslaught of that neighborhood's popularity. She moved there because her first job didn't pay too well and Williamsburg was cheap but it was still seedy --she was even mugged near her place right after moving in. Anyway, this woman is what many on this board would paint as a transplant. She's from highbrow suburbia (NYC suburbs though) comes from a family of means and skirts around in some very trendy and fashionable clothing and accessories (especially since she's doing betting on the job front these days). What's interesting is that she can't stand "hipsters". She says they're rude to her and actually poke fun at the fact that she holds a traditional 9-5 job LOL!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There are so many incorrect points with this statement. I will try to use bullet points to explain why as well as answer your question...
  • Hipsters do not price out the undesirables... The undesirables in many cases fall under one or both of these categories... They either make more illegal money than the poor hard working families living in these questionable areas, or they are section 8 users and abusers
  • Hipsters DO price out the hard working families however... That is definitely true. What tends to happen within these communities when realtors and investors begin pushing an area is that the hard working families regardless of ethnicity either have to move to other parts of the city, out of the city altogether or if they own a home must rent to the clueless hipsters at ridiculous rents in order to make due
  • Natives do not hate hipsters but rather the attitude that an increasing number of them seem to bring to this city. Apparently, it is the notion that you seem to share with them that anything and everything improves with their arrival. The hipsters did not save this city... Natives who fought for better QOL in struggling communities for years along with a much better police force and respected politicians helped to clean this city up... Many hipsters however seem to take credit for the revitalization of this city while they reap the benefits of the natives who in many cases ended up being priced out because of them...
  • Many natives also dislike the fact that this city which has always historically been known to be a blue-collar working class city has continued its transformation into one generic bland place to be. Believe it or not, the entire city does not need to be saturated with boutiques, art spots, thai places and coffee shops.
  • Other tend to have resentment over the fact that many historically ethnic communities that have been a staple of this city for years beyond our time are being exploited for this group of newcomers. For years even when a new immigrant group became the main culture in this city, ethnic communities always remained as they were... Germans (1930s-1950s) Italians (1950s-1970s), Puerto Ricans (1970s-1990s) Dominicans (1990s-2000s), none of these groups sought to change the landscape of this city the way this new groups has. Again in the PC world that we live in, saying things like this will get me in trouble but these are the feelings that many people in this city have but are too afraid or careful to admit... Me personally I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me...
  • Finally, this is a personal pet peeve of mine and it is semi-related to the third bullet point that was made. (Transplants (people from other states) have been around long before this explosion that took place roughly 5-10 years ago... (The difference between those SOHO/East Village/LES/Early Williamsburg pioneers and the new group of hipsters is the attitude so many new arrivals come with)... This feeling of superiority over native New Yorkers and that anything non-trendy to them is repulsive pisses me the hell off as it does to many other people... This was an attitude that wasn't present with those before them and I tend to believe that it is the main reason why there is so much resentment towards this group...
There are other points but I think you've gotten the just of it through this post.
Excellent relatively substantive post.

Though, I must take exception with your implication that NYC is/was a "working class" city.

NYC, then ior now, is not a city defined by the poor and/or working class. Despite the desire of many in this forrum to think so. NYC is a city of the rich, and has ALWAYS been defined by such.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM

287 posts, read 593,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

"undersireables?

You? Hipsters? WHO?

Comment?

This is NOT your home. You are not FROM, nor OF here. Yet, you come and seek to IMPOSE yourself, your values onto an existing landscape of inhabitants and markets.

You say you don't bring crime (as if that is the only measure of worth), yet what is it that you do bring? What iis the benefit? Who are the beneficiaries?

List of neighborhoods where the Transplant/Hipster/Progressive presence has destroyed the esisting positive community. Primarily, the black bourgouise (and/or existing intergrated) residential and business communities, established, growing. Stunted, then displaced to no further purpose:

Stuyvesant Heights
Clinton Hill
Fort Greene
Sugar Hill
Hamilton Heights
Ditmas Park
Greenpoint

Transplant/Hipster you were not, are not, needed, wanted, nor asked for. You bring and brought nothing to these areas that did not previously exist.

I did not take the time to read your entire rant as it would be a waste of my time. One should get his/her point across in a few short sentences. With that said, I am not a hipster and am trying to figure out where you got that idea from. Perhaps you would be better off in Soviet Russia where everyone is expected to think and dress alike.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^2 that might be true if you're rich.
if not, stop kissing rich boy butt.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Opps, there it is!

Prejudice and Hypocracy in the raw.

Quote:

"undersireables?

You? Hipsters? WHO?

Comment?

Stuyvesant Heights
Clinton Hill
Fort Greene
Sugar Hill
Hamilton Heights
Ditmas Park
Greenpoint

This is priceless comedic relief.

Last edited by likeminas; 12-10-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
They don't bring crime into neighborhoods and they are generally friendly people who drank lattes and don't bother anyone.

Edit. I meant to say "What" in the title instead of why.

Maybe they "drank" their latte in the neighborhood as they were passing through during their crime spree then went back to their own crime free neighborhood to "drink" more latte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City