Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,656 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I'm writing a book. Gentrification of big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Worse would be a point of view.

Both areas suffered considerably. Not only did crime rates in both areas rise significantly (to statistical peaks in some cases), the death rates due to other factors from drugs to disease were at a high too. The housing stock was mostly in a decrepit condition as well. Services were even more limited. Not a good time in either neighborhood.

Despite the on going problems today, there have been many recognizable improvements many fail to realize. At the same time real issues like poverty and hunger continue to plague thousands of residents largely confined in these neighborhoods.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
It seems this ENY and Brownsville never recovered.... They are near each other so I'm sure it wasn't THAT different

Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
It seems this ENY and Brownsville never recovered.... They are near each other so I'm sure it wasn't THAT different
Untrue!

Both neighborhoods were already devasted by the conditions of the 1970s, the social policies of the Great Society, Redlining and Whiteflight; as well as the political policies of the Koch administration toward crime and corruption.

"Crack" pales in any comparison of government gone wrong!

There is no purpose in feeding the Troll!

Why don't you go find an accident to gawk at. This guy is like the folks who drive 1 mile per hour past a highway accident, creating a traffic jam for no good reason, other than his superfluous necrophilia!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Just wondering. I'm writing a book. Gentrification of big cities.
Explain to me how gentrification of big cities and the crack epidemic in these 2 neighborhoods even relate to each other. Two completely different topics, but you're writing a book on it? lol don't expect to sell many copies kid.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
He continues to say he's 46 years old but his constant posts tell a different story... Unless you were living under a rock for 30 years, even if you weren't from this city, some of the questions this guy asks just seem so obvious and repetitive...

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
You also gotta research Harlem and Bushwick/Bed Stuy for this study/book. Growing up in the 80's bushwick project was no joke with crack being EVERYWHERE.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times
Having lived in Starrett City during the 'epidemic' I can only speak to East New York.So many crackheads in Starrett City in those days.Everyone from teens to peoples moms and an Orthodox Jewish man I once met begging for a dollar. The stairways were littered with vials.It was being very openly sold right outside of Starrett on the corner of Flatlands and Pennsylvania,where there was a little newsstand. I would sometimes walk home from the 3 train @Livonia and Pennsylvania when it was light out and I could count at least 3 crack spots right on Pennsylvania Ave.From what I understand the next block over from Pennsylvania Ave- (Sheffield Avenue) was an open air crack market.I don't have any info on Brownsville during that time but I can't imagine it being any worse than ENY. Also ENY is more spread out and alot more desolate so it had plenty of spots spread around the entire neighborhood. It also seemed to me that the cops from the 75th Pct had to be taking a cut of the action because the dealing was so obvious.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
The police from the 75th precinct were busy ducking bullets and cleaning up the bodies. Crack dealers were like weeds - take one out and 3 sprang up in their place.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
He continues to say he's 46 years old but his constant posts tell a different story... Unless you were living under a rock for 30 years, even if you weren't from this city, some of the questions this guy asks just seem so obvious and repetitive...
I wouldn't lie about my age man hahaha idk maybe there obvious posts to you but everyone's different my man. Sorry if I'm annoying you or anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: