Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontHoldBack View Post
I took the 2 train to visit a friend in Pelham Parkway and just by siting on the train i could notice that 90% percent of the passengers where Black or some Carribean Black. When i ride around Queens and Brooklyn you see whites, asians, middle easterns, jews, hispanics , and Blacks. It seems that the Bronx is not that diverse compared to Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan.
So you took the 2 train to visit a friend on Pelham Parkway, let me enlighten you. The following stops have plenty of Blacks hoping on and off, 3av 149th street, Jackson Ave, which is crestled inbetween housing projects which are mostly occupied by blacks, intervale avenue. Another stop full of Blacks is East Tremont by West Farms Square. All these stops of the South Bronx have plenty of African Americans that dwell in these areas. After that the stops become more diverse such as E 180th, Bronx Park East, Pelham Parkway, and Allerton, After Burke, is Gun Hill Road straight towards 241st the ridership becomes mostly Afro Anglo Caribbean which can come from any Caribbean country from Jamaica to Trinidad and Tobago and in between. I hope this helps, if you are still curious pm me.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
While Pelham Parkway is in fact one of the most diverse neighborhoods in NYC ,not everyone riding on the 2 train is on their way to Pelham Parkway The neighborhoods in The South Bronx and to the North of Pelham Parkway are considerably less diverse.

Pelham Parkway is about 35% Hispanic(white and non white),35% white non hispanic (Albanian, Italian,
Russian,Jewish,Irish,Greek,etc),20% Black and about 10% Asian.

The white population of The Bronx is considerably lower than any other borough.It is only about 15%, so it's not surprising at all that the Op would see an overwhelming majority of non whites on a subway in The Bronx.

Another factor to consider is that the whiter neighborhoods in The Bronx are generally deeper into the borough than in Queens or Brooklyn.You go through a lot of almost totally non white neighborhoods to get to them.

I also suspect that a lot of the people the OP is talking about don't identify themselves as black.

And I wonder about the motives of a first time poster who chooses race as their first topic.
I stand corrected. I initially misread the OP thinking he was talking about his experience in that neighborhood and not the train going there.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
why are you all up the black people's crack?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM

180 posts, read 335,208 times
Why is the Bronx so "boogie down"?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
That's not true either.

Many are of indian, pakistani and middle eastern descent as well.

I swear "some" people really need to step out of their "comfort" zone and "explore" more.
I am refering to neighborhooods like St. Albans, Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, Cambria Heights etc. All are over 90% black and border one another.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
Why is the Bronx so "boogie down"?
Thats what we're trying to change. I'm doing my part as a LL to make my building and block less "boogie down". The Bronx as a whole in my opinion suffers from a perception issue. The burning and abondon buildings of the 70's is still stuck in people's head and acts a deterant. Yes, the Bronx has its "hoods" and its issues but the stigma is so deeply embedded that because of it, outsiders thinking about moving to the Bronx overlook nicer neighbors like pelham, norwood, bedford, van cortlandt.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 AM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontHoldBack View Post
I took the 2 train to visit a friend in Pelham Parkway and just by siting on the train i could notice that 90% percent of the passengers where Black or some Carribean Black. When i ride around Queens and Brooklyn you see whites, asians, middle easterns, jews, hispanics , and Blacks. It seems that the Bronx is not that diverse compared to Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan.
You can't base a boroughs demographics on one train. The Bronx is very diverse.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
The Bronx is majority black AND hispanic. It's not 90% black. You are WRONG.

There are WHITES that live there, but I don't know where. I was never in those neighborhoods and they tend to want to keep those areas "white", if you know what I mean. Kinda like a lot of long island neighborhoods.
That doesn't sound very diverse if the neighborhoods are segregated like you say.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
I swear "some" people really need to step out of their "comfort" zone and "explore" more.
This is funny considering you said this:

Quote:
There are WHITES that live there, but I don't know where. I was never in those neighborhoods and they tend to want to keep those areas "white", if you know what I mean. Kinda like a lot of long island neighborhoods.
Why don't YOU step out of your comfort zone and explore where the white people live?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
I think that person is talking about the neighborhood of County Club. Spoiled brat population.

But on the topic of where Caucasians reside, it would be Little Italy around the area of 184th and 3rd Avenue. Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, and Upper Bronx areas. And if you wanna see Caucasians in areas that are not that, well, you just have to pay attention. Just because someone speaks spanish, that does not make them Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City