Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM

41 posts, read 235,152 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move back to NYC after moving to Charlotte, NC 2 years ago. Can anyone tell me about up-and-coming Bronx neighborhoods such as Mott Haven, Morrisania, East Tremont.... basically anywhere cheap yet safe, and an easy train ride into Manhattan. We are totally fine with a gritty neighborhood and with not having lots of shopping and dining and such (as long as we can walk to a decent supermarket). Just not fine with hearing gunshots in the night or my kids playing with crack vials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 72,130 times
Default Da Bronx

Hello...i've Lived Here 46 Years...all My Life....based On Your Interest In Being Close To Train System Into Manhattan Check Out The Following Neighborhoods........
#6 Train Line........... Castle Hill, Parkchester, Zerega, Westchester Square, Pelham And Co-op City Area
#4 Train Line.......... Gun Hill Road Area
#2 And 5 Train Lines.......... White Plains Road/pelham Parkway
Morris Park/ Pelham Parkway

All These Areas Have Supermarkets And Other Stores In Walking Distance Plus Many Schools.........

Old 10-02-2006, 08:50 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
My family and I are looking to move back to NYC after moving to Charlotte, NC 2 years ago. Can anyone tell me about up-and-coming Bronx neighborhoods such as Mott Haven, Morrisania, East Tremont.... basically anywhere cheap yet safe, and an easy train ride into Manhattan. We are totally fine with a gritty neighborhood and with not having lots of shopping and dining and such (as long as we can walk to a decent supermarket). Just not fine with hearing gunshots in the night or my kids playing with crack vials.
Mott Haven, Morrisania, East Tremont are possibly the worst neighborhoods in the Bronx. There are pockets of gentrification but a lot of it is hype from realtors.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Mott Haven, Morrisania, East Tremont are possibly the worst neighborhoods in the Bronx. There are pockets of gentrification but a lot of it is hype from realtors.
I know the Bronx well, grew up there, now work in a police precinct in the South Bronx.

Mott Haven is a horrible neighborhood deep in poverty. The majority of this area is made up of different public housing projects. Crime is a big probem as well, lots of robberies, jumpings, and shootings. Drugs are everywhere.

There is a neighborhood south of it by the name of Port Morris which has experenced some gentrification. It's mostly industrial and seperated from Mott Haven by the Bruckner Expressway. This is the area the websites refure too. This neighborhood was once completely emptied out and about 2/3rds vacant until 2 or 3 years ago. Most of the yuppies are moving into the lofts in renovated warehouses. Still criminals from Mott Haven have discovered the yuppy population and target them for robberies to and from the train stations (Which are surrounded by public housing).

Morrisania is a bombed out mess. Murder is way up this year there as well. Don't know of any gentrification in this area, only new homes for low income Bronxites moving out of the PJ's. Most of people live in the projects in this area as well.

East Tremont is another very low income area. Less projects, but the tenements are just as bad.

Places in the Bronx I recommend are Riverdale, Throgs Neck, Country Club, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Morris Park, and Woodlawn.

@TITERE4JESUS, I wouldn't recomend Castle Hill or Parkchester. These areas have gone through huge changes and have pretty serious problems with drugs and shootings. The Parkchester neighborhood (Area just west of the complex, north of the Cross Bronx) had about 15-20 homicides over a 3 year period. The complex averages about 2 homicides a year and has problems with drugs and maintaince. Castle Hill has a very violent housing project in the southern portion of the neighborhood and crime is pretty much widespread across that area. A couple of weeks ago a kid was shot in the head becuase he was standing on the wrong side of the block. Lots of drugs in that neighborhood.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITERE4JESUS View Post
Hello...i've Lived Here 46 Years...all My Life....based On Your Interest In Being Close To Train System Into Manhattan Check Out The Following Neighborhoods........
#6 Train Line........... Castle Hill, Parkchester, Zerega, Westchester Square, Pelham And Co-op City Area
#4 Train Line.......... Gun Hill Road Area
#2 And 5 Train Lines.......... White Plains Road/pelham Parkway
Morris Park/ Pelham Parkway

All These Areas Have Supermarkets And Other Stores In Walking Distance Plus Many Schools.........
I also wouldn't move into the Gun Hill area around the 4 Train to Webster Ave, even east of the Bronx River. That area has also changed a ton and is now soaked in the drug trade. Shootings are a HUGE problem in the neighborhood and the demographics have changed a ton.

Co-op City is also on the decline. The crime rate is accually pretty high in the complex. They had to install gun sensors on the rootops of the buildings a year or two ago to combat the shootings.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 49,006 times
Ohh goodness, I heard the BX was changing for the better, how scary is all this you are describing. LORD PLEASE CLEAN OUT THAT AREA!!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 34,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbabe' View Post
Ohh goodness, I heard the BX was changing for the better, how scary is all this you are describing. LORD PLEASE CLEAN OUT THAT AREA!!
Like any area-- revitalization takes time-- The South Bronx--in particular the Mott Haven section is much better now then when I lived there--before developers and city officials completely abandoned it--now there is a tremendous amount of positive growth occurring. Plans to clean up the waterfronts and create green spaces--there are a lot of new row houses that have added to the area---Like any area undergoing revitalization it takes time-- one step at a time.... the physical landscape looks much better now then before... The next iniaititives I am sure will attack issues such as education and crime--which over the years have dramatically improved. Again, no area is 100 perfect--but I have faith in the area--because of it's strategic location and the work that indengious residents are doing--More iniatities and collorabation needs to occurr with police and community members, however, because of the tactics of officers community members are afraid to colloborate--so it makes it hard to tackle lots of issues---but it's happening whether residents like it or not change is occurring. my fear is that the neighborhood one day will be gentrfied because of the developments that are occurring. New eloquent resturants and bars are popping up--artist are moving into the area--- these are all the beginning signs of gentrification.We'll see!

Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsummer82 View Post
Like any area-- revitalization takes time-- The South Bronx--in particular the Mott Haven section is much better now then when I lived there--before developers and city officials completely abandoned it--now there is a tremendous amount of positive growth occurring. Plans to clean up the waterfronts and create green spaces--there are a lot of new row houses that have added to the area---Like any area undergoing revitalization it takes time-- one step at a time.... the physical landscape looks much better now then before... The next iniaititives I am sure will attack issues such as education and crime--which over the years have dramatically improved. Again, no area is 100 perfect--but I have faith in the area--because of it's strategic location and the work that indengious residents are doing--More iniatities and collorabation needs to occurr with police and community members, however, because of the tactics of officers community members are afraid to colloborate--so it makes it hard to tackle lots of issues---but it's happening whether residents like it or not change is occurring. my fear is that the neighborhood one day will be gentrfied because of the developments that are occurring. New eloquent resturants and bars are popping up--artist are moving into the area--- these are all the beginning signs of gentrification.We'll see!
I can't see Mott Haven gentrifying the way the LES, Williamsbridge, Greenpoint and Park Slop have.

Mott Haven is very far from Midtown, even farther from downtown. MTA is not the greatest and it can take 45 minutes to get down to 42nd Street from Third Avenue and E 138th Street. Off peak hours it can take longer. Night, forget it, it can take 2 hours.

The focus of Mott Haven and the Bronx as a whole seems to be low income housing. The city is building more NYCHA public housing projects in the Bronx. Especially in these areas mentioned. Also all these townhouses going up are subsidized by the gov't. Also multifamily. This way lower income people from the projects who have enough money can live in this better housing. The other 1 or 2 units are there to assistant with payments. That is at least what usually happens. The bad thing is they sometimes bring with them the negativity from the projects/neighborhood. Not taking care of property, bad kids, other problems. I have personally seen some of these new homes become crack dens and hangouts for gang members. Many of these homes are owned by landlords who do not live in the Bronx, then rent them out.

All the newer buildings are similar to public housing, only private. There are income caps, but the private owners get subsidizes from the gov't to maintain them. It's easier for a private owner to maintain a couple of buildings then in the case with NYCHA's hundreds if not thousands.

A lot of renovated Bronx buildings have also become homeless shelters, and homes for single mothers, addicts, and people with AIDS. Almost all housing built, new or renovated is low income (only exception is the well off areas way east and way northwest).

I don't think gentrification is too much of a concern for the South Bronx. I only know of very, very few eloquent restaurants, aimed at yuppies. In Mott Haven there are only about 2. It's a good thing, because I too grew up in the area. I wouldn't want the good families to get kicked out. The biggest problems still remain. Crime, disease, unemployment, drugs, education. Mott Haven is still a community in distress, along with the rest of the South Bronx. Sadly in our society, this will always exist.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 49,421 times
Nyc Needs To Put In A Brain Like Nj That Don't Let No One Sit On Welfare For More Than 6 Months. Right!!! They Pay For Yourtraining/ Education So In Fact You Get Off The System Quicker And Be A Productive Addition To Humanity. Parts Of Nyc Is A Disgrace And Shame On Them For Not Helping To Educate The Young Ones. Crime, Disease And Unemployment Even Drugs Can All Be Cured With Education. I Say You All Should Move To New Jersey. They Got It Right!!!! They Rock....now If Nj Could Just Lower Property Tax??? That Is What Sucks About Nj. Fyi To You All!!! Good Luck.....lisa

Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 64,502 times
As a lifetime resident of the BX I would advise you to definitely stay out of Mott Haven, that area is whack. My dad tells me its better now than it used to be at the peak of its decrepitation, but it's still no place I would want to be at night or even during the day. Pelham and Co-op City are definitely feasible options, with the 6 train running through and plenty of stores within walking distance. I would trust NYPD more than myself on crime statistics but I go up to Co-op and play basketball all the time and have yet to encounter a problem. Riverdale and Wakefield are options, but those areas are either very expensive to the north towards Yonkers or not very safe going farther south into the Bronx. Just make sure you visit the neighborhood and become familiar with it before if you decide to move there and make sure to get the crime statistics. It can be real hit or miss in the Bronx and if you miss you could end up in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City