Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 PM

74 posts, read 307,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch718 View Post
Well, it depends. In Manhattan, you'll be hard pressed to see any REAL New Yorkers south of Central Park. Most of the people living there are 20-something hipsters who were probably raised in the Suburbs, or came from Nowheresville after getting their education.
I am a "real" New Yorker living south of Central Park (raised in the East Village, born in Coney Island Hospital) and there are still some of us around, however, not for long. I just accepted a buy out offer and I am leaving the city and taking my native NY 16-year-old daughter (born in St. Vincents and raised in the LES) with me; it is too crowded and stressful and I've had enough. Gentrification is pushing many of us native NY'ers out. I do still see some of the people I grew up with from the neighborhood, but our numbers are fast dwindling. I think native New Yorkers are some of the friendliest and most down-to-earth people anywhere. We have character and integrity; not to mention a lot of characters with integrity. We know what it is like to struggle and we tend to be very open minded. Having dealt with a lot of bs and the daily stress of living in a big city we can be a tough crowd when need be, however, we also can be the most forgiving and accepting. I am going to miss New Yorkers and what New York used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTx View Post
You've got to be kidding, right? All northerners are brought up to be civil to others? LOL. Denial may be more rampant in the North as well.
I grew up in Brooklyn, but I left many years ago. Back then people were civil to each other. I guess now that it is mostly transplants like yourself it is no longer a civil environment. Glad I got out when I did.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerNYer2 View Post
The city itself is extremely paradoxical and contradictory, therefore the residents have those same traits. But that is why the stereotypes don't much apply, imo. For everything bad people have heard about NYers it isn't usually true, and for everything positive, generally turns out to be false as well. It's a city of very sharp contrasts.

We would have to define positive and bad attributes to know what we're discussing here.

The basic structure, infrastructure that is, is a complete paradox at the root basic. Everything else seems to fall into the same pattern.
New Yorkers seem to have tight control over their actions. They know how to act well. They know how to act during certain situations. Everyone in New York is an actor (unless you never go outside). Also, there are a lot of FAKE people out there. They know how to kiss ass and then turn around and talk ****. That's a part of New York.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post
I am a "real" New Yorker living south of Central Park (raised in the East Village, born in Coney Island Hospital) and there are still some of us around, however, not for long. I just accepted a buy out offer and I am leaving the city and taking my native NY 16-year-old daughter (born in St. Vincents and raised in the LES) with me; it is too crowded and stressful and I've had enough. Gentrification is pushing many of us native NY'ers out. I do still see some of the people I grew up with from the neighborhood, but our numbers are fast dwindling. I think native New Yorkers are some of the friendliest and most down-to-earth people anywhere. We have character and integrity; not to mention a lot of characters with integrity. We know what it is like to struggle and we tend to be very open minded. Having dealt with a lot of bs and the daily stress of living in a big city we can be a tough crowd when need be, however, we also can be the most forgiving and accepting. I am going to miss New Yorkers and what New York used to be.
Move Uptown or to the outer boroughs. Downtown Manhattan is not like it used to be. Lots of new faces. If the outer boroughs are no good for you, I suggest you move out of the country.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 PM

74 posts, read 307,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Move Uptown or to the outer boroughs. Downtown Manhattan is not like it used to be. Lots of new faces. If the outer boroughs are no good for you, I suggest you move out of the country.
I am aware downtown is not what it used to be - that is why I am out of here.

The whole city is not what it used to be as far as I am concerned and I am leaving the state. However, I am not leaving the country - that may be a bit extreme at this point.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 PM

67 posts, read 224,102 times
Gentrification has changed this city forever. The middle class will be completely wiped from the city's landscape in the very near future, if they haven't already. Intriguing irony given the politics of many in the city.

Last edited by BrooklynTx; 10-20-2007 at 11:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM

67 posts, read 224,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I grew up in Brooklyn, but I left many years ago. Back then people were civil to each other. I guess now that it is mostly transplants like yourself it is no longer a civil environment. Glad I got out when I did.
Yep. Brooklyn is overrun with transplants, like myself. But after 12 years, I'm practically a local when compared to many residents. Williamsburg is almost unrecognizable from just 10 years ago. I seem to get along best with the natives, rather than the transplants. It's probably a product of social class.

I also remember my hometown prior to the mass invasion of transplants, such as yourself.

I do miss good BBQ, Mexican, Vietnamese and biscuits, though.

As they say, you can never go home.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 AM

^There's no point in arguing because gentrification will happen. But not everywhere is going to look like Broadway. There's preservation and the whole point of NYC's charm is its old architecture and infrastructure. But the people will most definitely keep changing. It wont stop because NYC doesn't know the meaning of stop. The building across the street will change, your neighbors will change, and times change. Globally, NYC is more of a stepping stone. To native NYers, it is our lives. Ultimately outsiders will always exist in New York

Old 10-21-2007, 01:43 AM

216 posts, read 992,965 times
the whole point of nyc's charm is the infrastructure ? nah, no way. nyc was nyc because of the people period. they gave it its rep and character. it wasnt b/c of a skyscraper. if u gentrified the whole city with yups (wow, scary thought lol) and mantained the same infrastructure, would it still be "nyc" ? not by the longest shot.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 AM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
New Yorkers seem to have tight control over their actions. They know how to act well. They know how to act during certain situations. Everyone in New York is an actor (unless you never go outside). Also, there are a lot of FAKE people out there. They know how to kiss ass and then turn around and talk ****. That's a part of New York.
What I stated b4 was:

For everything bad people have heard about NYers it isn't usually true, and for everything positive, generally turns out to be false as well. >>

Let me rephrase what I wrote to reflect what I meant to relate without personalizing it.

For everything bad people have heard about NY, it isn't usually true, and for everything positive (about the City), generally turns out to be false as well.

-----

I really wanted to comment about the City in general first.
The city itself (meaning its infrastructure ie design, conditions, heat, power, light, ventitlation, operations, structures, their quality or state, roads, bridges, tolls, school systems, trains, technical or technological levels, taxis, etc, etc, resource allocation, accessibility, availability, socio-economic levels, equality, and more, those things that exist in NY like most cities, in NY are extremely paradoxical, contrasted, and contradictory.

Actors? LOL I've said that b4 myself. However, I'd say wannabe actors. The media part of the city's industrial base, a lot of that is also found in a number of other media centers around the country.

They're kinda everywhere. LOL!!!

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 10-21-2007 at 02:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City