Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 41,477 times

Advertisements

I'm so tired of craigslisting, I figured I'd ask if anyone knows any legit roommate/room rental referral service?
Honestly, a fee would be worth if it I could make this easier on myself to find a room by the end of May!

I've come across sites like these, but they seem a little sketch to me.

Home Page

Room Invasion | Room for rent | NY LA IL FL Rentals | Manhattan Brooklyn Queens Bronx Staten |

Anyone know some legit ones?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM

207 posts, read 642,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmanfoo View Post
I'm so tired of craigslisting, I figured I'd ask if anyone knows any legit roommate/room rental referral service?
I don't have any sites to point you toward, but I may also be looking for shares via craigslist soon. I take it that you haven't had much luck on craigslist? Are all the postings scams?

I noticed that many of the quoted rents on craigslist (for studios and 1br) seem to be quite a bit lower than on realtor websites, so I assumed that many of them were not real...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 41,477 times
Well, it's not that they're scams, it's just difficult when you're an out-of-stater. A lot of people (with good reason) want to show you the place, meet you in person. It's totally understandable, but it's a little difficult when you live like 20 hours away!

I have no idea about that. I'm just looking for a room.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM

939 posts, read 3,384,972 times
6 or 7 years ago I found a roommate through Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service

Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,133 times
you can try reservationresources.com they are a legitimate company. I found my room on thier. They have cheap rooms in manhattan, and cheap rooms in brooklyn. Its more like a mixture of a flat and hostel. The rooms are all private entry but you share the common area.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
Craigslist room hunting is the worst. Been there done that. (And I imagine whole apartment hunting is no less awful)

I known several out of towners who moved to NY and simply crashed at the youth hostel for a few weeks while they rustled up a (semi) permanent address. A bit adventurous for me, but they seemed to land on their feet. It isn't an unrealistic way to go unless you were intending to come to town with a U-haul full of crap, which hardly anybody does.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM

46 posts, read 159,353 times
I usually use facebook for roommate hunting. Good way to screen people and make sure they aren't scammers or complete weirdos.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,487 times
Default Here you go...

Here's a couple articles about finding roommates in NYC that I came across today:

Find a roommate online: Six websites that do the heavy lifting for you | BrickUnderground

Best roommate services in NYC - How to find a roommate

I've always looked for the cheapest rentals, which I tend to find with a lot of luck, more than skill. While Craigslist is full of scum and scams, I've succeeded more than once in finding places using Craigslist.

Beware- Most New Yorkers won't want to deal with you about a place unless you're here already. They will also want you to show income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City