Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM

156 posts, read 193,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
don't breathe on peoples necks just because they walk slower than you.
they don't even know you or your schedule. step back a little or just
go around. that way you don't have to get upset over nothing. everyone
is not moving at the same pace. we're all individuals.
Just say "excuse me." Or if you have to squeeze past someone, say you're sorry.

(I was about to post that anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM

180 posts, read 335,176 times
When it's raining... Don't think that your umbrella is the only one coming down the sidewalk and not feel you have to move it at all when passing other umbrellas.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times
My pet peeve is when 2 or more people walking 2 abreast take up the entire sidewalk. I mean not in Manhattan, but on narrow Queens sidewalks. Here is where I will be nasty. I refuse to get my shoes dirty by walking off the sidewalk into the dirt, grass, sand or whatever. I will stay on my course and bump you, or just cut right between the oncoming people walking towards me.

The only people I give full grace to is the elderly, disabled, and families with small children and/or pushing a stroller, or people walking their dog with a leash.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Today's etiquette violation: Three women walking abreast slowly down a set of stairs in Penn Station. I head up anyway, figuring the woman on my right will move. She does, but says "excuse ME" as if I'm the one at fault. Was in too much of a hurry to flip her the bird.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM

156 posts, read 193,474 times
For the love of every god of every religion, stand/walk to the right side of the stairs or escalator if you're going to either climb them slowly or ride it up without also climbing it.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
When it's raining... Don't think that your umbrella is the only one coming down the sidewalk and not feel you have to move it at all when passing other umbrellas.

I'd also add in that these are usually single, thin people who need to have the biggest umbrellas possible that are about four-people wide.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM

58 posts, read 287,204 times
don't swing your hand to take over another walking lane when your body is already taking over 2....coz no one wants your hand touching another person's crotch

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
What would you add?
Get out of my way!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Since I choose not to smoke, it would be nice to not have to walk behind a group of people smoking cigarettes and then I get to inhale it.
I wanted to add this one but figured I'd get the "well, just don't walk behind them" response. Sometimes I get stuck walking behind smokers because of other people and/or scaffolding. It's the worst when they carelessly flick the ash of their cigarettes and it flies in your direction. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Or just banning tourists from SoHo. I'd love to be able to walk there again…
YES. I never go to SoHo for this very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Despite what some people say, I don't see anything wrong with looking at the architecture, but don't keep walking while staring blankly up, no idea what you might be about to crash into.
I don't mind people taking photographs or admiring architecture (I've lived here for 8 years and I still get awestruck, too), they just got to move out of the way! It's really irritating seeing people block sidewalks for pictures of their friends/family. Do you really need a picture of yourself giving the peace sign in front of the World Trade Center construction site? No.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,577,898 times
Default I'd add no spitting

[quote=the_contrary;27388518]1. Don't walk in large groups that take up the whole sidewalk.
2. No zig-zagging.
3. Keep to your right, especially if you're slow.
4. Don't suddenly stop or turn around (at least look behind you or pull over to the side).
5. No blocking the sidewalk to take photos of your stupid friends!

What would you add?[/quote]

6. No spitting on sidewalks, especially not large gobs of your mucus/congestion for the rest of us to slip in or walk through and track everywhere we go. Yuck, DISGUSTING!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: